Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of Qs

Options
  • 30-08-2007 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just a couple of things...

I bought a Trek 1000 about 8 months ago - been using it mainly for transport to training etc (I'm a rower by trade) but I want to get more into cycling for the sake of cycling. Are there any websites dedicated to good cycle routes? I don't want to get the map out, decide where to cycle and then discover that the roads are absolute crap. Any help here would be appreciated!

On another note I've decided to convert to clip-in pedals (Is that the right word) and splash out on the shoes etc. Any advice here? I'm also looking to maybe upgrade a few other things (I have a bit of money now!), is there anything else not too crazily expensive I could do to notably improve the bike's performance?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.routeslip.com/user/dickobrien

I assume you are around Dublin.

The pedals you are talking about are actually called clipless pedals :confused: or SPDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

A rower by trade you say!;)

I'll assume you're in Dublin? If so you may know the area surrounding the blessington lakes, great for starting off, also try sallys gap when you decide you need more of a challange...! The roads are ok...nothing you shouldn't be able to handle!

As for the clipless pedals I use the look delta system...pedals are cheap enough now it's the shoes that cost...make sure they're not a tight fit as your feet may swell when cycling. They will make a huge difference but remember to pull up as well as push down during the pedal stroke..apparantly alot off people with clipless pedals neglect "pulling up".....and make sure you practice clipping in and out of the pedals resonably well before you go out on the road...you probably will fall over:D

Other then that if you wanted to make your bike faster the first thing I'd buy is a good wheelset...in fairness though I'd save for a new bike and just keep training away on the trek until then....after all the fitter you get the faster your going to go anyway! Just make sure your comfortable on the bike, maybe buy a good saddle from what I hear the bontrager saddles(which come on the 1000) are complete ass-hatchets...!

Good luck man I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at the Blessington routes so - see a good few cyclists around those areas on the way to training. What'd be a good step up from the Trek once I decide to upgrade? It'll probably be a while but no harm in looking around!

Advertisement