Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of fans....

Options
  • 30-08-2007 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Ok guys, I am thinking of getting rib of the fans in my case. I'm not too good at modding etc. so I do'nt think I'll be able to take on a water cooling system. This is what I'm running at the moment.

Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-K8NMF9, nForce4-4x, m-ATX, Socket-939, 4xSATA, LAN, Firew, PCI-Ex16
    Processor:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 2MB
    Ram:Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR-DIMM 2048MB Kit w/two matched CMX1024-3200C2 DIMMs x2
    Graphics:XFX GeForce 6600GT 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, Tv-Out/DVI, Retail
    Hard Drive 1:Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB IDE ATA/133 16MB 7200RPM(AKASA COOLER Fan speed 4500 Rpm)
    Hard Drive 2:Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB IDE ATA/133 8MB 7200RPM(AKASA COOLER Fan speed 4500 Rpm)
    Hard Drive 3:Samsung SpinPoint T133 400GB IDE ATA/133 8MB 7200RPM (running off IDE Controller card)
    CD Drive 1:Plextor DVD±RW burner, PX-755A, 16x, 10x Dual,
    CD Drive 2:Sony DVD-Rom
    Floppy Drive:OEM
    PSU: 500Watt OEM
    Case: iCute Modded Case (3 x 80mm fans)

Was thinking first of all of getting Seasonic PSU (quiet fans or so I've heard), then maybe doing a bit of research on Heat Pipes and running items like this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320131

I use the computer for mostly Internet browsing and mild photo and video editing.

Do you think it is possible or wise to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I dont get you? Take them out? Are you trying to make your pc quieter? If so, id say you could just take them out and it be much of a big deal? Your not doing anything stressful on the system so it should be fine without fans!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Well you have to have something to cool the processor even if your not stressing the system surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea take out the case fans, not the cpu fan I dont think you can on stock coolers? :/

A new cooler might lower noise although.

I suppose you should leave one fan on the hard drives! keep them cool!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would seriously consider keeping some fans, you dont need one on the graphics card, as you can buy heatpipe varients. But for the case just get 2 >23db fans, one for intake one for exhaust. As the heat build up would be massive. You can also get fanless power supplies, zalman actually make one. As for the cpu, one of the Zalman cooler would be great, just connect it to a zalman fanmate and you wont hear the thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

First thing to do is to get a fanless vga cooler. The little fans that come with the 6600 gt spin very fast, produce a nasty high piched hum and don't even move very much air.

• Advertisement
Advertisement