Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

economics 3rd year, what are the best modules?

• 30-08-2007 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

is applied econometrics easy? what is vincent hogan (eg notes and assignments ) like ? etc....or labour economics or even financial econ........ please spill all. i must know. Share your experiences

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Avoid ivan pastine like the plague as he's really **** for exam tips, results and even sample papers. Do anything with paul devereux as he's a v.good lecturer and decent too. Vinnie is OK. Liam Delaney is a v.good lecturer and sound so do anything with him too. Finance is OK but MOrgan Kelly isn't a great lecturer and the exam was tough last year. He's very entertaining though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

From what I did...

Financial - Found it very hard, thought the maths would be more like the maths in quants but it was more like statistics stuff...that said, I went to no lectures and did sh!te all study for it, and I didn't need to pass it, which I think you would have to (do you have to pass all modules?)

Human Behaviour - This was ok, it was split between Paul Devereux (very good) and Olivier Bargain (I thought he was good, but because he was French some people didn't understand him very well..)
    Bargain's side had some maths in it, which he got a lot of grief about, even though he said in the first lecture that you needed to know how to do the maths problems (optimisation etc)

Quants - Probably only a good choice if you like maths. Didn't think much of the lectures, I just worked from the book (which was good)...ended up getting about 85% in this (my highest mark)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Applied Econometrics I was taught by Vincent Hogan last year. It was fine, a bit more theoretical than A.E II which was taught by Liam Delaney. I did both.
    I did International Trade Econ with Dermot Leahy, that was fine, did well. Micro was taught by PAul Devereux and I presume that's compulsory, very easy subject, you hardly need to go to lectures.
    I'd recommend all those subjects anyway, but I really like maths, if you don't, you might find them more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭FledNanders

anyone done urban & regional or transport economics? views?

urban and regional was very good aisling reynolds is a decent lecturer and helpful with queries too. I heard transport was OK if a bit boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Pythia wrote:
    Applied Econometrics I was taught by Vincent Hogan last year. It was fine, a bit more theoretical than A.E II which was taught by Liam Delaney. I did both.
    I did International Trade Econ with Dermot Leahy, that was fine, did well. Micro was taught by PAul Devereux and I presume that's compulsory, very easy subject, you hardly need to go to lectures.
    I'd recommend all those subjects anyway, but I really like maths, if you don't, you might find them more difficult.
    I was having a look at the more mathematical modules from economics as I enjoy maths too, but I've been having second thoughts after how Intermediate Quants went; I thought the course was quite badly organised, and found that both the lecturer's (Dr Brancaccio, I think) notes, and presentation somewhat lacking and hard to follow, and because of this, although the material wasn't too difficult, I didn't fare excellently.
    It looks like Hogan and Delaney are teaching Econometrics again this year, do their lectures handle the material ok?

As an aside, did you find many people taking the maths modules if they weren't compulsory? Presumably it makes you somewhat stand out from the crowd if you've gone out of your way to take most of the maths modules rather than some 'easier' options.

Waltons wrote:
    I was having a look at the more mathematical modules from economics as I enjoy maths too, but I've been having second thoughts after how Intermediate Quants went; I thought the course was quite badly organised, and found that both the lecturer's (Dr Brancaccio, I think) notes, and presentation somewhat lacking and hard to follow, and because of this, although the material wasn't too difficult, I didn't fare excellently.
    It looks like Hogan and Delaney are teaching Econometrics again this year, do their lectures handle the material ok?

As an aside, did you find many people taking the maths modules if they weren't compulsory? Presumably it makes you somewhat stand out from the crowd if you've gone out of your way to take most of the maths modules rather than some 'easier' options.

I didn't do Arts, I did Economics and Finance, so it was pre defined that we did the 'mathsy' econ options.
    I've actually just started a job doing a lot of what we covered in Econometrics. It's probably the most job-related course out of all the econ modules I've done.

The lectures are good for Econometrics, you don't need to do much further reading. If you do decide to do Econometrics, pm me and I'll send you the book in pdf format. Hardly anyone did Econometrics II, but Econometrics I was packed. There's a few continuous assessment things involved, none worth that much.

Dr. Brancaccio is a brutal lecturer though she made development economics hard. Don't let that put you offf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Economics is very much a module lottery. As much as people differ in terms of interests, some are clearly easier than others.

Econometrics I is reasonably straightforward, and is a very predictable exam. There's a mass of textbooks you can refer to help you prepare sample answers and just plank them down in the exam.

I'm gonna disagree with some comments above, Econometrics II is a good deal trickier. I think there was only 4 or 5 Arts students in the course, the rest from the H.Dip or Econ + Fi. Don't let it get out of hand and go to labs and it's ok. Don't and you'll regret the choice.

Health Economics is taught by David Madden who's brilliant. Well worth having a look at.

International Trade is a second year course dressed up as third year. Everything is copped straight out of a Krugman textbook. Just about everyone got high 2.2 - low 1.1, it's pretty easy.

Financial is a bit different to the rest. Morgan Kelly wouldn't be the nicest lecturer but he knows his stuff. Very useful if you fancy a career in financial services. The exam isn't too bad - particularly the maths parts but some did find it a bit on the stressful side.

Development - Tziana Bracciano (sic) isn't great, that's complementary. The good news is that the marks aren't too difficult to come by, and a good number came out with firsts.

Quants - All depends on the person. Probably a good barometer is the leaving, if you were happy at Higher Level, then you'll like this. Again TB is the lecturer but you won't need too many lectures, just study the book.

A further word of warning, Ivan Pastine. Just say no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I think Dr Brancaccio had a child recently so I doubt she'll be in for next year. Advanced Quants lecturer is currently down as Professor David Thom.

Cheers Pythia, I'll have a look at the courses available and might drop you a PM depending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

Tziana Bracciano always reminded me of that old jaffa cakes ad "Full moon, half moon, total eclipse."

If you haven't done it in 2nd year, game theory is pretty good if you like the mathsy ones.

What are Monetary and Industrial like? From the write up Industrial looks a little like micro, is it?

I'm gonna disagree with some comments above, Econometrics II is a good deal trickier. I think there was only 4 or 5 Arts students in the course, the rest from the H.Dip or Econ + Fi. Don't let it get out of hand and go to labs and it's ok. Don't and you'll regret the choice.

Yes, the labs are very important. But the exam is pretty easy to predict.
    Also, I didn't find it trickier, I actually got a higher grade in Econometrics II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

yes thom is doing advanced quants but there is no past exam papers on this module. im in arts did well in inter quants and would like to know if there is any other real info out there on this other than course search eg some website like his own site.?

if not what is david thom as a lecturer like. usually a good indication as to the modules enjoyment and difficulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Far as I know Morgan's the only one with his own site. In his own words in our first Stats lecture, "Google me!" - don't know where else to find info on past courses bar asking people who did them last year.

I'm in Mode 1 Economics so I've to do 10 modules this year, and because I did 11 Econ modules last year they're all 3rd year this year. Plus the Economics project is compulsory for me. Fantastic! ;)

I'm going into 3rd year so I can only talk about 2nd year modules. Anyone who likes maths, Game Theory is grand. It's a bit tough at first, and the lectures can be pretty boring, but it's mostly algebra and by the time the final exam comes around you'll get it just fine. The lecture notes are good (when he doesn't make mistakes, but he always notices them during lectures, mostly in comical fashion). Intermediate Quants was pretty terrible, only because of Dr. Brancaccio. Labour Economics is definitely one of the easiest modules, and European Economy is fine. Irish was easy enough because the lecturer was just so, so nice and easy on marking. I think the minimum grade in the midterm was like 45% (MCQ, no negative marking).

I thought Ivan Pastine was good from what little we had of him in 1st year. What's so bad about him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

i agree with choosing irish economy ( took it last year). its the most releveant and interesting economics module iv done. definitly should be done. the mcq was alittle strenuous but no neg marking so it was ok and the exam was predictable enough.

Advertisement