Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna get into Mountain Biking (extreme)!

Options
  • 31-08-2007 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm really new to this and i don't know anyone who's into any sorta mountain biking. I sorta wanna get into this sport so you guys have any idea where to go abouts from??
    I seem to be the only one of my friends into extreme sports so like i don't know anything bout mountain biking in Ireland. Though i've herd there are quite a few many good places for Mountain Biking here.
    I'm more into the extreme mountain biking, though i'm not good a rider to get to that level yet... but i eventally wanna be able to jump off 30ft cliffs and ride away on my bike!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

but i eventally wanna be able to jump off 30ft cliffs and ride away on my bike!!

in that case i'd advice ya to get a well padded saddle....u wanna look after yr meat and two veg afterall;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Start small and train as much as possible to get your endurance up.

What type of bike do you have? Unless you are planning on spending thousands on a strong downhill bike you won't be going near any 30ft drops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yup, i'm gonna start off small just mountain biking... No big jumps and all... Until i get good and confident enough to do that...

I just wanna know where can i get into this sport in Dublin... Cuz i don't know anyone into this and i have no idea where to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 invisiblewill

Check out http://www.irishdh.com and http://www.epicmtb.com

You probably want to get in to downhill/freeride. Expensive bikes and lots of practice. Best place to start is Tickknock mountain (aka 3 Rock)in south dublin. Most popular for beginners or just a quick blast. In fact I'll be there this weekend :D

Start off on a decent hardtail, you'll be looking at spending 500euro or more. I bought a 300 euro hardtail and spent 400 euro upgrading it, save yourself the pain and get something decent to start.

Look at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com for bikes. Cheaper than buying them down here, free postage aswell.

Be prepared for rain, mud and crashes. But it's still lots of fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

philstar wrote:
    in that case i'd advice ya to get a well padded saddle....u wanna look after yr meat and two veg afterall;)

lmfao! post of the century!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I'll echo that. You should get decent bike at beginning or it'll hold you back by waiting for repairs.
    You must be confident about your bike, so ride as much as possible. Learning basics like ballance in slow ride and standing, jumps, bunny hop, some street riding, dirt jumping. You just need to learn basic skills and then to develop them.
    There is good training free DVD in latest MBUK magazine, try that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^ You think i should go for a hard tail or a full suspension??

Where do you think are good places to go to learn...
    Or is there some sorta club i can join where i can learn with other begginers like me??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Hardtail would be the perfect choice if you are limited by money. And HT also won't save your @ss if you make some mistake - it will teach you more.
    If you are completely new to MTB and a little more aggresive riding, HT woudl be the best.
    You can also buy some older for learning. Dirt jumping bike or 4x bike would be the best for learning more technical riding.
    There are lots of people on MTBrider.com forum, so you can ask a lot there. And get some answers too. Downhill racing and jumping are regular topics there.
    The easiest is to get some bike, go outside and ride and ride and ride. Three rock hill would be good point to start - you can meet a lot of HC bikers there.

Advertisement