Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers & Celtic

• 31-08-2007 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Why do so many Irish people support Celtic? I doubt the majority of ye even know why ye are supporting them; and why ye hate Rangers. To me, it simply seems to be a matter of ye being told who to support, and who to hate.

I prefer Rangers to Celtic because I prefer the colour blue to green; just as I support Everton (for their blue jersey).

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

According to RTE, when they showed Celtic v Benfica the viewing figure was the worst of the year. There's an awful lot more Liverpool and Man Utd fans in this country so just leave us Celtic fans alone please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i hear the gay folk love sevilla because they wear pink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

eirebhoy wrote:
    According to RTE, when they showed Celtic v Benfica the viewing figure was the worst of the year. There's an awful lot more Liverpool and Man Utd fans in this country so just leave us Celtic fans alone please.

The fact that you have taken such a defence to my harmless question leads me to believe that you indeed do not have a clue why you support them and do not wish to admit that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The real question is who made you choose blue as your favorite colour.
    In reality, you've probably no idea why you like blue over other colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Kevster wrote:
    Why do so many Irish people support Celtic? I doubt the majority of ye even know why ye are supporting them; and why ye hate Rangers.
    Kevin.

Maybe cause it was set up by Irish catholics , and the majority of people in ireland are Catholics -- maybe you could ask the same question to Rangers fans , as they hate Celtic more , than the other way round -- that may have somthing to do with 1967 though :)

ps i'm not a big Celtic fan myself and support Everton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

celtic = irish
    rangers = english

simple as that.

go back to history and england invaded ireland.

thats you're answer, despite what people might try to deny.

football doesn't come in to it sadly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What a strange thread.Kevin is ether 11 or a troll,IMO of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I support Hearts Myself. I think there are a lot more united and liverpool fans than there are Celtic fans. Although Celtic seem to be a lot more popular in the country than they are in Dublin. I suppose the answer is that becasue Irish Domestic football teams have never made it big, a lot of Irish fans have decided to try and claim Celtic as their own, because it was founded by Irish people. Its suprising that Hibernian who were founded also by Irish people who actually inspired the foundation of Celtic didnt acheive similar levels of popularity by irish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It's not culturally acceptable to support Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

smemon wrote:
    celtic = irish
    rangers = english

simple as that.

I think you'll find Great Britain invaded Ireland and also a huge proportion of this army was Irish and Scottish.
    Of course Rangers fan are proud of their history but "rangers = english" is definitly wrong. You won't see many of them supporting England in a Scotland vs England game.

Bit of a pedantic point but had to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Glasgow Celtic = Scottish
    Glasgow Rangers = Scottish

Shamrock Rovers = Irish
    Cork City = Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Its suprising that Hibernian who were founded also by Irish people who actually inspired the foundation of Celtic didnt acheive similar levels of popularity by irish fans.
    Hibernian and Hearts have done a lot to shake off the sectarian, grabber-on's, mainly by not being that sucessful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Kevster wrote:
    Why do so many Irish people support Celtic? I doubt the majority of ye even know why ye are supporting them; and why ye hate Rangers. To me, it simply seems to be a matter of ye being told who to support, and who to hate.

I prefer Rangers to Celtic because I prefer the colour blue to green; just as I support Everton (for their blue jersey).

Kevin.
    There's a strong Irish connection with Celtic football club which explains why they have a big following here. Buy the aptly named "Celtic The Irish connection" DVD for more details if you're that interested.

Also, following a team because you like the colour of their jersey is probably the lamest reason I've ever heard for following a club!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

smemon wrote:
    celtic = irish
    rangers = english

simple as that.

I understand why a number of you have contradicted the above comment but i think that honestly many many Irish people support Celtic as their second team and do so simply because of what it says above. although not tecnically the case, this is how many people often without thinking seriously about it see the whole Celtic/Rangers situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Kevster wrote:

wow

you're so knowlegable

well done, you have all celtic fans sussed

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Glasgow Celtic = Scottish
    Glasgow Rangers = Scottish

Shamrock Rovers = Irish
    Cork City = Irish
    Correct.

Personally, I couldn't give a damn about Scottish football. It is rubbish in my opinion, and I honestly couldn't give a damn about Celtic or Rangers. In fact I sometimes laugh at the "connections" both clubs claim to have. It is just ridiculous.

I support Man United, I support them because it was the first club I ever went to see when by uncle had the lease of a bar over there. Never looked back after that. I still do support my "local" (there are no EL teams in Cavan) club, Dundalk if anyone has any problems with me supporting an English team. Was at a good few of their games this year and saw them beat Wexford Youths last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

thebaz wrote:
    Maybe cause it was set up by Irish catholics , and the majority of people in ireland are Catholics -- maybe you could ask the same question to Rangers fans , as they hate Celtic more , than the other way round -- that may have somthing to do with 1967 though :)

ps i'm not a big Celtic fan myself and support Everton

sorry mate, whilst i see youre being harmless enough - the statement about rangers fans hating celtic more etc etc and 67 ... im afraid thats nonsense bud. Both sets of fans have their fair share of idiots, bigots, sectarians and racists. It just so happens they come from the exact polar opposites when it comes to walks of life.

The main ways you start to support a team in CENTRAL Scotland are these:

1) You are from a Protestant or Catholic family - which means you go to a Catholic or Non-Denominational School (which is really just protestant since how many non denominational schools teaches you the song "onward christian soldiers" and takes you to church every other holiday?)

so straight away youre amongst a segment of your contemporaries.

2) Your family or your friends are mostly one or the other - harmless enough, and youll be raised supporting the same team because its normal. LETS NOT FORGET that the supports are 50-50 in Central Scotland, and everyones best mate, next door neighbour, girlfriend, wife, cousin.... is a supporter of the other side - its normal.

3) You like football and grew up JUST in time to coincide with the team that was winning everything at the time. Scottish football goes in waves - 5 years celtic, 5 years rangers, 10 years celtic, 10 years rangers, etc.... I grew up in a Protestant Family, During Rangers most lucrative spell in history, and also went to a 'non denom school' ...so..

I hate celtic because theyre our closest and most bitter rivals... and i dont allow the sectarianism get in the way since i myself am not religious. So thats why I hate celtic...and it has to be said - some celtic fans are just really daft and really bitter - the same as some Rangers fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I couldn't give a **** about either of them tbh.

micmclo wrote:
    I think you'll find Great Britain invaded Ireland and also a huge proportion of this army was Irish and Scottish.
    Of course Rangers fan are proud of their history but "rangers = english" is definitly wrong. You won't see many of them supporting England in a Scotland vs England game.

Bit of a pedantic point but had to be said.

Youre absolutely right. The main point that has to be raised here so people dont overlook it is that to some Rangers fans - the British connection is to do with the union (in the British civil war we had a Protestant King fighting for control of the UK, opposed by the (in my opinion) rightful heir who happened to be Roman Catholic... he wished for Independence and was ousted - his army were the Jacobites - followers of James Stewart) - so straight away we have the Unionist, Protestant vs Catholic conotations. So it doesnt really have ANYTHING to do with Eire persé.

Unfortunately religion is the basis for a lot of what goes on in a Rangers and Celtic fans head, and it allllll stems back to then.

Both clubs are trying to do all they can to shake it off, but there will always be the religious element to it, since thats woven into the fabric of Scottish society, and you cant go changing that over night. That it has been woven into the football too is detrimental but - times are changing. It just pains me to see the never ending witch-hunt and band-wagoners giving it the usual anti-rangers when really...both sides are equally as nasty, and equally as great.

One wouldnt survive without the other i suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Kevster wrote:

Kevin.
    All I can say is, lol. And don't have that last Vodka + Red Bull. Keyboard +Drink = ^.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

for me, my Dad is scottish and is Celtic born and bred.
    he has been to see them in European cup finals etc.

i was born into his love for celtic. they were the first team i ever heard about and were talked about in the house. the first team i ever went to see on a regular basis. i spent alot of my youth in scotland during the summer. i feel like i am linked to them through family.

with regard to why irish people follow celtic? come on???
    if you even bothered to read up on the clubs history you would know why!
    less of these crap discussions please!

Kevster wrote:
    The fact that you have taken such a defence to my harmless question leads me to believe that you indeed do not have a clue why you support them and do not wish to admit that fact.
    Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

smemon wrote:
    celtic = irish
    rangers = english
    Where in Ireland, or England for that matter, is Glasgow?

smemon wrote:
    celtic = irish
    rangers = english

simple as that.

just noticed that myself... i think youll find its got nothing to do with the UK invading Eire.... it just so happens that Celtics history is of an Irish Catholic origin - in Glasgow.

Rangers Fans = large amount from Protestant unionist families (dating back to the civil war in BRITAIN (not ENGLAND!)
    Celtic Fans = Large majority Catholic .. just so happens the beaten side on the BRITISH civil war was Catholic and pro Scottish independence.

The "english" thing - just another typical irish thing to say mate. Both teams are Scottish, with fanbases that happen to have religious undertones not relating to the UKs involvement with Ireland in any way shape or form from what I know.

Irish people associate being English with being prodestant.

PHB wrote:

And why do they associate Rangers with England?

PHB wrote:
    Er yeah thanks for speaking for me there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Another one of those bash Celtic fans thread. They come around here on boards periodically. If you are so ignorant to not understand the connection Celtic have to Irish people, there really is no hope.

As to the numbers of Celtic fans in Ireland? I don't know although a tremenous amount of Irish fans do actually go to Celtic games rather than just watch on TV. I am aware that some people in Ireland will follow Celtic because they want to make a statement and tbh that is their right just as you want to follow a team because of the colour of their jersey.

Regarding the Rangers thing.. well they are Celtics biggest rivals, come from the same city as well. Have you ever asked yourself why rivals do not like each other. Everton - Liverpool, Liverpool - MU, MU - Liverpool, Leed - MU, Barcelona - Real Madrid. If you cannot understand the concept of rivalry, I doubt you follow football at all.

Personally I dont like Celtic OR Rangers. Sectarianism has no place in football imo and there are too many sectarian undertones associated with both clubs for my liking. I hate Celtic slightly less because they allowed Protestants to play for them. Rangers had that no Catholic rule. That kind of stuff has no place in sport for me. Now I do realise that there are many fans of both teams who are not associated with that crap but Ive watch one too many Old Firm games where the fans arent even watching the match cos theyre too busy roaring and screaming at each other, wrecking the other teams away end in the stadium and throwin objects at each other. And I hate the Irish fans that boo ex Rangers players from countries who could care less about the anti-Catholic ethos of Rangers. They are two football teams, one wears green, one wears blue, most of their players could care less about the sectarian rivalry thats associated with their histories.

• Advertisement

odonnell wrote:
    Small minds.

odonnell wrote:

You have got to realise that for a lot of Irish people, Scotland is not even on their radar therefore to them British = English, Union Flag = English, £ Sterling = English money etc. Most of Ireland is dominated by the English media and it rubs off.

You have got to realise that for a lot of Irish people, Scotland is not even on their radar therefore to them British = English, Union Flag = English, £ Sterling = English money etc. Most of Ireland is dominated by the English media and it rubs off.
    Ignorance is bliss.

it is quite irritating to continually be correcting people, but i wouldnt mind so much if the 'English' thing didnt form their basis of opinion for Scottish things also - if you know what i mean.

Dammit Dub - everytime i see you posting, i want to change my nickname to A Glaswegian in Dub... or something shorter.

I don't.

Most english people I know are quite generous with their money.

Scottish people are tight bastards however.

DesF wrote:
    I don't.

Most english people I know are quite generous with their money.

Scottish people are tight bastards however.

and now youre OT - [click] reported :P hehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hibernian and Hearts have done a lot to shake off the sectarian, grabber-on's, mainly by not being that sucessful.

This of course is true in terms of Irish sectarianism but not true if Scottish secterianism, Hibs and Hearts fans hate each other much more than Rangers and Celtic fans. I remeber one night about four years ago when 11 fans were stabbed before a Hibs Hearts game.

As for why Irish people support Celtic, i dont know and i dont care. I used to like to watch Celtic because they scored lots of goals. I also liked to watch Matt le Tissier because he scored lots of goals but ive never supported either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

odonnell wrote:
    Rangers Fans = large amount from Protestant unionist families (dating back to the civil war in BRITAIN (not ENGLAND!)
    Celtic Fans = Large majority Catholic .. just so happens the beaten side on the BRITISH civil war was Catholic and pro Scottish independence.

The "english" thing - just another typical irish thing to say mate. Both teams are Scottish, with fanbases that happen to have religious undertones not relating to the UKs involvement with Ireland in any way shape or form from what I know.

Do you really think the average irish celtic fan knows about the history or even cares about the history of why they're supporting the club?

Celtic have a huge following amongst the less well off here.. look back to the love ulster riots or any riot in the north.. normally there'll be a few celtic jerseys in there amongst it all.. (also look at the type of jersey worn, it won't be the latest version).

These are the sort of guys that associate england/protestant/bad with rangers and celtic with irish/catholic/good. Try feeding them british history stuff and they'll soon tell you where to go.

I'm not saying thats what i personally believe :rolleyes: but that's the general view out there of a lot of people.

Anything irish/green/shamrocky is supported. Panathanikos another classic example. No connection whatsoever to Ireland (AFAIK) but as they have a shamrock on their crest they get supported here (whenever they play in europe).. again by a small minority but it still happens.

Whenever rangers or england play, they're happy to see them lose, want to see them lose.

Ironically, it all boils down to religion and i'd hazard a guess that a lot of celtic irish fans don't support their religion either..

smemon wrote:
    Do you really think the average irish celtic fan knows about the history or even cares about the history of why they're supporting the club?

nope i dont...and that is what makes it so ignorant to believe that rangers = england, and celtic = ireland. Because neither are true. BUT - i do see where you are coming from.

smemon wrote:

Celtic have a huge following amongst the less well off here.. look back to the love ulster riots or any riot in the north.. normally there'll be a few celtic jerseys in there amongst it all.. (also look at the type of jersey worn, it won't be the latest version).

These are the sort of guys that associate england/protestant/bad with rangers and celtic with irish/catholic/good. Try feeding them british history stuff and they'll soon tell you where to go.

I'm not saying thats what i personally believe :rolleyes: but that's the general view out there of a lot of people.

Anything irish/green/shamrocky is supported. Panathanikos another classic example. No connection whatsoever to Ireland (AFAIK) but as they have a shamrock on their crest they get supported here (whenever they play in europe).. again by a small minority but it still happens.

Whenever rangers or england play, they're happy to see them lose, want to see them lose.

Ironically, it all boils down to religion and i'd hazard a guess that a lot of celtic irish fans don't support their religion either..

Dont even get me started on the scobe-wannabee Celtic fans who dont know the names of any players, dont know the name of the stadium, or have any idea of how the team is doin in general.

I used to work in a bar with a moron who had a Celtic jersey with Eire 32 on the back of it, and he hadnt a clue.

smemon wrote:
    It's up to you. If you want to give these lads the credit of being Celtic fans then that's your decision. They do not watch Celtic play most of the time and they probably don't have a clue what position Donati plays.

There's a reason I posted what I did in my first post in this thread.

You wouldn't believe how shocked I am when I can find someone in work, or in a pub, or wherever, and talk to him about Celtic and Scottish football. They're few and far between. I can't stress that enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

It’s as simple as this

Celtic and their fans are angles and are the bestest team in the world despite all the conspiracy against them from not only the SFA but the ‘establishment’ in general

Rangers on the other hand are dirty protestant c**ts that are the scum of the earth and would eat babies if they could.

I fail to see the reasons for the debate

odonnell wrote:

It's quite simple.

Protestant = English
    Rangers = Prodestant
    Rangers = English

It’s as simple as this

Celtic and their fans are angles and are the bestest team in the world despite all the conspiracy against them from not only the SFA but the ‘establishment’ in general

Rangers on the other hand are dirty protestant c**ts that are the scum of the earth and would eat babies if they could.

I fail to see the reasons for the debate
    No surprise there. Troll's don't like reasonable debate.

eirebhoy wrote:
    No surprise there. Troll's don't like reasonable debate.

is it a requirement to add a smiley to posts to convey irony ????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

odonnell wrote:
    sorry mate, whilst i see youre being harmless enough - the statement about rangers fans hating celtic more etc etc and 67 ... im afraid thats nonsense bud. Both sets of fans have their fair share of idiots, bigots, sectarians and racists. It just so happens they come from the exact polar opposites when it comes to walks of life.

When i see people wearing Rangers shirts in Dublin , i do a double take , same way i wouldn't wear a Celtic top in East Belfast -- or seeing Union Jacks , and other inflamatory murals up North , get my goat my up -- yes there are idiots on both sides , but from my experience , and I'm not a Celtic die hard , there seams more hatred on the blue side -- look how long it took them to sign a Catholic (for instance ) -- the whole Gascoigne stuff -- Celtic always seamed less triumphante -- maybe its the North thing , where the Protestants thought they were better than the Catholics , for so long -- this kind of thing will take a long time to melt

It’s as simple as this

Are you the obtuse angle then? :D

is it a requirement to add a smiley to posts to convey irony ????????
    Listen. There's less than 10 Celtic fans that post on boards. The ones I see posting seem like decent guys. They support Celtic, one's a Dub living in Glasgow, one's a Glaswegian living in Dublin (ziggy). Most of them travel over to games the odd time. They all actually have a clue about Celtic. They all seem like decent people.

These 10 people are the only people you're winding up. You're doing it purposely. Now please stop it. If you want to wind up the people you despise then the internet really isn't the place because they do not have it.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Listen. There's less than 10 Celtic fans that post on boards. The ones I see posting seem like decent guys. They support Celtic, one's a Dub living in Glasgow, one's a Glaswegian living in Dublin (ziggy). Most of them travel over to games the odd time. They all actually have a clue about Celtic. They all seem like decent people.

These 10 people are the only people you're winding up. You're doing it purposely. Now please stop it. If you want to wind up the people you despise then the internet really isn't the place because they do not have it.

Thanks eirebhoy, so we do need to add smilies to convey irony, it can not be left up to people to spot it.

I just remember you being involved in a similar Celtic debate before. Apologies if I'm mixing you up with someone else but my posts can be used as a reply to someone else. :D There's no way I'm letting boards.ie is going back to the anti-Celtic community that I first joined so I'm just a little paranoid. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I don't really support Celtic as such but I keep an eye out for their results, watch the odd game, and would consider them my 'Scottish team'. The reason why is that I have since I was little, the reason why I started was I would imagine because I considered them to be connected with Ireland and as an Irish person and Irish fan I think that's a decent enough reasoning to support any foreign team.

I don't like Rangers because of a) they're the biggest rivals of the team I would look out for the results of in Scotland, b) the anti-Irish sentiment of many of their fans and c) the racist tendencies of the club in the past (though they seem to have made a lot of progress on this, like Everton too I suppose. And obviosuly these two clubs aren't alone in this).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement