Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers & Celtic

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebhoy, don't bother trying to reason with these guys, the whole thread is a wind-up.

Let the OP and the supporters of English sides wonder why we support Celtic. :rolleyes:

These threads always appear when Celtic qualify for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Andrew 83 wrote:
    I don't really support Celtic as such but I keep an eye out for their results, watch the odd game, and would consider them my 'Scottish team'. The reason why is that I have since I was little, the reason why I started was I would imagine because I considered them to be connected with Ireland and as an Irish person and Irish fan I think that's a decent enough reasoning to support any foreign team.

I don't like Rangers because of a) they're the biggest rivals of the team I would look out for the results of in Scotland, b) the anti-Irish sentiment of many of their fans and c) the racist tendencies of the club in the past (though they seem to have made a lot of progress on this, like Everton too I suppose. And obviosuly these two clubs aren't alone in this).

whats everton got to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Once again were back at this shít!

Honestly. Why do ye give a fúck who anyone supports? Whether its for the right reasons or not both these clubs have huge support!

Live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Why do Panathinaikos have a shamrock on their crest and play in green and white anyway? Also did you know Juventus got their team colours of black and white from when their founder used to watch Notts County play in the 1890s?

Any other fascinating facts to get this thread off the Celtic and Ranger $hit fest that no-one gives a fu<k about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

thebaz wrote:
    When i see people wearing Rangers shirts in Dublin , i do a double take , same way i wouldn't wear a Celtic top in East Belfast -- or seeing Union Jacks , and other inflamatory murals up North , get my goat my up -- yes there are idiots on both sides , but from my experience , and I'm not a Celtic die hard , there seams more hatred on the blue side -- look how long it took them to sign a Catholic (for instance ) -- the whole Gascoigne stuff -- Celtic always seamed less triumphante -- maybe its the North thing , where the Protestants thought they were better than the Catholics , for so long -- this kind of thing will take a long time to melt

Thats fair enough mate, and admittedly i look at what you said and am pleased to say i think thats the view of many of the level headed celtic and rangers fans amongst us... however ill say to you, who do you think was the first catholic to be signed by rangers? mo johnstone right? as if you think that, youd be wrong, and youd also have shown that you, as level headed as you might be mate, have also fallen fowl of the hear-say and propoganda which has fuelled this debate for a hundred years! :)

but generally id agree with you, the level of patriotism and blind faith on the blue side is possibly a shade less tolerant than on Celtics side, but on that - I cant say i blame them.... who would go to iraq say, and wave iranian flags and sing iranian songs? Celtic fans, or a large proportion of them are doing that sort of thing everytime they wave a tricolour - getting the goat of other Scottish people...not just Rangers fans. So you must give us that one bud - im sure you can see this angle.

Also, yeah the rangers shirt thing - i wear my rangers strip to football. I wear a dark blue t shirt with an RFC logo on the chest and i dont really mind where i am when i wear it. I havent stopped being a bluenose since i moved here but i DO acknowledge the fact that it may be a tad extreme and unwelcomed to be wearing the strip walking down oconnell street - im not as daft as that, for sure. But im glad to report also, that ive had NO trouble in my approach as id like to think im one of the more open minded and approachable rangers fans here.

Dont get me wrong though - i still hate celtic, and i dont get on with the vast majority of Celtic fans....

but im able to live in Dublin trouble free!

Why do Panathinaikos have a shamrock on their crest and play in green and white anyway? Also did you know Juventus got their team colours of black and white from when their founder used to watch Notts County play in the 1890s?

Any other fascinating facts to get this thread off the Celtic and Ranger $hit fest that no-one gives a fu<k about?[/QUOTE]

it hasnt turned into a sh|t fest yet has it mate? i thought it was actually an ok discussion, or i think it CAN be if people keep the straight head on like...

Theres a brazilian team too - theyve got RFC on their logo and its near identical to the way Rangers have theirs, cant think of their name though.... curious all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

odonnell wrote:
    Also, yeah the rangers shirt thing - i wear my rangers strip to football. I wear a dark blue t shirt with an RFC logo on the chest and i dont really mind where i am when i wear it. I havent stopped being a bluenose since i moved here but i DO acknowledge the fact that it may be a tad extreme and unwelcomed to be wearing the strip walking down oconnell street - im not as daft as that, for sure. But im glad to report also, that ive had NO trouble in my approach as id like to think im one of the more open minded and approachable rangers fans here.

Dont get me wrong though - i still hate celtic, and i dont get on with the vast majority of Celtic fans....

but im able to live in Dublin trouble free!

A few years ago i was in the Noggin Inn , and to my druken amazement i saw a guy on his own (not too big) in a Rangers top , unless it was an alcohol hallucination, i was pretty shocked - i might wear one into cafe en seine , but they may not let me in !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Dub13 wrote:
    What a strange thread.Kevin is ether 11 or a troll,IMO of course.

Your opinion is WRONG because I am neither of those. I am, in fact, a 24 year old human male. The sole purpose of this thread was to see what sort of tension still exists on this topic. I am actually pleasantly surprised by the response and have been proved wrong.

You can lock the thread if you so wish.

By the way, PHB, I loved your reply earlier:

"The real question is who made you choose blue as your favorite colour.
    In reality, you've probably no idea why you like blue over other colours.
    "!!

Take care everyone and please be aware that my mood drifts wildly from day to day.

Kevin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Kevster wrote:
    Your opinion is WRONG because I am neither of those. I am, in fact, a 24 year old human male.

That has the be the funnest reply I have ever got on Boards.Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Well, I did intend for it to make you smile, which i'm now confidant it has done.

This thread is a farce. Who dared start it?! ... ...oh wait, it was me :p

I'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Who gave this guy access to the forum?

Starts a contentious thread then jumps in ignoring all the direct replies to him to say cheerio!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Kevster wrote:
    Why do so many Irish people support Celtic? I doubt the majority of ye even know why ye are supporting them; and why ye hate Rangers. To me, it simply seems to be a matter of ye being told who to support, and who to hate.

I prefer Rangers to Celtic because I prefer the colour blue to green; just as I support Everton (for their blue jersey).

Kevin.
    I support Celtic because they were set up by the Irish and so are our connection in Scotland. I dont hate Rangers simply cos they are a rival, i dislike rivals but dont hate them, however you hear the rubbish that Rangers sing about Ireland etc and i cannot help hating them. I have met many very sound Rangers fans and had a good discussion about football with them, but i have met some hardcore ones also that come out with alot of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Who gave this guy access to the forum?

Starts a contentious thread then jumps in ignoring all the direct replies to him to say cheerio!!
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nalced_irl wrote:
    I support Celtic because they were set up by the Irish and so are our connection in Scotland. I dont hate Rangers simply cos they are a rival, i dislike rivals but dont hate them, however you hear the rubbish that Rangers sing about Ireland etc and i cannot help hating them. I have met many very sound Rangers fans and had a good discussion about football with them, but i have met some hardcore ones also that come out with alot of sh1t.

Get out of it Gah-boy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Kevster wrote:
    Why do so many Irish people support Celtic? I doubt the majority of ye even know why ye are supporting them; and why ye hate Rangers. To me, it simply seems to be a matter of ye being told who to support, and who to hate.

I prefer Rangers to Celtic because I prefer the colour blue to green; just as I support Everton (for their blue jersey).

Kevin.

If you're actually not on the wind-up as you so claim, then I'll give my tuppence as to why I support them. In fairness, the way you posed your question was more like the way an 11 year old would rather than the way a 24 year old would, hence the replies you got. You assuming that the majority of people don't know why they support Celtic or that they hate Rangers just shows immaturity, and the fact that you support your club because of the colour of their jersey kind of underlines that.

I support Celtic for a number of reasons, but primarily because of the whole ethos of the club. They have been an all-inclusive club from day one, in fact all-inclusiveness is their raison d'etre. Myself having Scottish links, and being Irish is another reason - Celtic are a Scottish club with an Irish founder, so I feel a certain connection with the club that I wouldn't with others. I also admire the way they are run, and the never-say-die attitude that the club seems to instill in most players - AC Milan last season in the CL for example made me very proud of the club.

As for Rangers, I don't hate them, I just don't like them very much. Someone mentioned that their fans seem to be less tolerant in general and I cannot disagree with that belief. I saw a program on the Old Firm on YouTube, it was on TV a few years back, can't remember what it was called. It was speaking to two fans, a Rangers guy and a Celtic guy. The Celtic guy was saying he had a different background etc. to Rangers fans and explaining the Celtic/Rangers situation in his view, but the Rangers guy was really hate filled. I know they could have purposely picked those two guys, but I can't help feeling that it was a pretty accurate summary of two typical OF fans in Scotland.

I'll never forget a message board I read when Paul LeGuen took over as manager of Rangers. There was a thread talking about the fact that he was a Catholic, and how could this be let happen. It was getting plenty of different, like-minded individuals responding as well. I couldn't believe what I was reading, and I remember thinking to myself that's one of the reasons I support who I support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

Kev..

I'm a fenian I've have no problem saying that, I believe In an Ireland where we can all live In peace hopefully someday side by side as a one country. I have friends believe it or not, one is from Scotland and I have to say he is a very nice man although sometimes I do get think. There are fans who I mean are true fans and then there are the people who still sing songs like up to our necks In fenian blood. I nkow why I support Celtic believe it or not my daughter, mother Celtic thats the other I love them so with a passion.

I have no problem with Hun fans as long as they support them just for football means. I'm a republican but I dont shout things like they do FTP and as what I call a non practacing catholic is disgueses me. Not only that but it should disguise most people here In Ireland.

Celtic were made for the working class cathloics by a priest the religion will always be there but I think there is a big difference between Rangers and Celtic. But its not only them what about Millwall or even Chelsea v Celtic where Chelsea fans were shouting UDA etc etc I know the celtic fans are also to blame but they dont sing as bad songs as Huns do, I honestl see them making a show of themselves In CL I really hope they dont because I think its a great achievement for both sides.

It's funny how even Irish people say Oh wtf why dont ye support a real Irish team? HELLO I mean In all fairness Celtic do our country very proud it's amazing seen our country well not out country but a country who fathers mae the club they were irish.

Sorry if it doesnt make sense not much sleep but I'd say ye get my point.

Well fair play if you say you only support them for SOCCER but u'd have to admit most of Rangers followers are just anti - irish, anti - catholic Pro/Natzis Pro/Isreal I can never understand that they say their with Isreal but yet support Nazi's :eek:

I agree Paul best time of my life and even all the Milan fans loved us over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

Hoops1888 wrote:
    Well fair play if you say you only support them for SOCCER but u'd have to admit most of Rangers followers are just anti - irish, anti - catholic Pro/Natzis Pro/Isreal

Most of them?

Stop talking nonsense :rolleyes:

Fwaggle wrote:
    Most of them?

Stop talking nonsense :rolleyes:

Ok I'd say 90% of them maybe 95% ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bendict banned.

kdjac

Hoops1888 wrote:
    Well fair play if you say you only support them for SOCCER but u'd have to admit most of Rangers followers are just anti - irish, anti - catholic Pro/Natzis Pro/Isreal I can never understand that they say their with Isreal but yet support Nazi's :eek:

Sorry but WTF is pro nazi and pro israeli/palestine about Rangers and the fans??????!!!!! Tell me for everyone here to learn from that statement hoops! WHAT is pro nazi and pro israel about Rangers and their fans????

Sorry like but that just made me very angry - the thought of you saying such a blatantly untrue and pretty far fetched thing - and most people here probably believing it for the sake of not knowing any better. I wont have silly remarks like that tarring ME as a pro nazi, or any of my 'hun' mates for that matter.

No... justify your comments hoops mate, and i mean that with the utmost respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kevster wrote:

Kevin.

I dont support Celtic, I dont watch scottish football but that post is one of the most ignorant/naive (havn't been able to decide which yet) posts i've seen on boards (and i've made a few myself, so i'm talking from experience here).

also two of the most diehard football fans i have ever met can be reduced to the following, one a Leeds supporter from Leeds, and the second a Celtic supporter from Donegal. I try not to judge a fan based on what club he supports, and i certainly don't give a **** why he/she supports them in the first place (as is happening in this thread to some extent). and why did you pick on Celtic? far more bizarre is why do most Irish support one of ManU/Liverpool?

I dont support Celtic, I dont watch scottish football but that post is one of the most ignorant/naive (havn't been able to decide which yet) posts i've seen on boards (and i've made a few myself, so i'm talking from experience here).

also two of the most diehard football fans i have ever met can be reduced to the following, one a Leeds supporter from Leeds, and the second a Celtic supporter from Donegal. I try not to judge a fan based on what club he supports, and i certainly don't give a **** why he/she supports them in the first place (as is happening in this thread to some extent). and why did you pick on Celtic? far more bizarre is why do most Irish support one of ManU/Liverpool?

youve obviously not read the last one i responded to mate..... its a tough call like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hoops1888 wrote:

WTF !!!!!

Hoops 1888 banned

These threads are great for cleaning up the soccer forum.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

odonnell wrote:
    Sorry but WTF is pro nazi and pro israeli/palestine about Rangers and the fans??????!!!!! Tell me for everyone here to learn from that statement hoops! WHAT is pro nazi and pro israel about Rangers and their fans????

Rangers fans regularly make Nazi salutes, including in Israel. They also wave the star of david, probably because Celtic fans have a natural affinity to the Palestinian cause.

You may not be a Nazi, but you as a fanbase have done nothing to stop others making these salutes, NF selling their wares at Ibrox and the fascist anthem the Billy Boys being sung.

With respect, you can fúck off with your moral indignation. Rangers fans are inextricibly linked with the UDA/BNP far right and regularly seen making Nazi salutes.

That, and their thinly veiled institutional bigotry are why I utterly despise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Agree with you there Ziggy. I have met loads of Rangers fans through my work (in Glasgow) and almost all of them have been sound. I cannot vouch for the Rangers fans from NI.

ziggy67 wrote:
    In my experience most Rangers fans are decent guys who are just interested in the football.

Just as not every Celtic fan sings IRA songs, not every Rangers fan is some sort of Catholic hating bigot. Yes there are some muppets around but lets not go around tarring everyone with the same brush..
    Agree with you there Ziggy. I have met loads of Rangers fans through my work (in Glasgow) and almost all of them have been sound. I cannot vouch for the Rangers fans from NI.

As may be, but like it or not, its them, not Celtic in trouble with UEFA for repeated nazi salutes from thousands of their fans and what they consider racist singing. These ordinary decent huns never seem to object to the large element that behaves in this manner. Or speak up when eggs benedict is removed from the ipox corporate menu. or green and white straws removed from the fast food outlets in the stadium. or pepperami being told they couldnt hand out freebies near the ground because they have green wrappers. we wont even go into their anti-catholic employment policies of days gone by.

Celtic fans cannot sing IRA songs anymore, believe me, im a season ticket holder.

This moral equivalence is tiresome. When der hun act the bóllocks in Europe, desecrating cathederals and the like, that somehow celtic are implicated too.

ziggy67 wrote:
    In my experience most Rangers fans are decent guys who are just interested in the football.

Just as not every Celtic fan sings IRA songs, not every Rangers fan is some sort of Catholic hating bigot. Yes there are some muppets around but lets not go around tarring everyone with the same brush..

Cheers lads....thank goodness theres someone with a level head to balance things up a bit!

In general i find the whole stigma and hype is worse than the actual situation. Only those that dont know any better subscribe to the nasty side of this debate in my experience. I grew up in Glasgow, my best man is a Celtic fan, I was at his communion when we were youngsters....and all through life we went our separate ways for derby day, then hooked up afterwards in our respective colours. No matter which way the result went we were best mates.

At my wedding i gave him a card and a beautiful golden crucifix, with an inscription to say thanks - "to the best man, my friend, the big fat fenian" - to much laughter and drinks.

I dont know ANYONE in my life who would take offense to that, and LEAST of all my Celtic loving friends, or my catholic friends, OR my irish friends now i live in Dublin and make no show of myself being a Rangers fan (yet not hiding the fact).

In short - those who suspect the worst, and those who claim ridiculous things like nazism, terrorism, etc etc.... generally are either A) in the minority who experience such stuff from the generic social idiots, or B) sorely misled.

I find, in my life experience...they are generally option B and i wish beyond wish we would all just accept that fact and move on.

• Advertisement

odonnell wrote:
    In short - those who suspect the worst, and those who claim ridiculous things like nazism, terrorism, etc etc.... generally are either A) in the minority who experience such stuff from the generic social idiots, or B) sorely misled.

I find, in my life experience...they are generally option B and i wish beyond wish we would all just accept that fact and move on.

Ahh, the old nothing to see here defence.

so these huns arent making Nazi salutes in Israel while also flying the Star of David? see attached image

pathetic stuff odonnell, at least do the usual rangers trick of blaming the papist media. ;)

ziggy67 wrote:
    What do you expect the ordinary decent fan to do? .

not come onto Irish football forums and tell us we are making it all up would be a start.

Ahh, the old nothing to see here defence.

so these huns arent making Nazi salutes in Israel while also flying the Star of David? see attached image

pathetic stuff odonnell, at least do the usual rangers trick of blaming the papist media. ;)

correct - they are not.

ok mate - im no loyalist, im no protestant, and im CERTAINLY not a unionist anti catholic HUN, so when i say this you must accept what im saying as the word of an insider ok?

THOSE IDIOTS who make one handed salutes are NOT making nazi salutes..... in their own mind, they are making a RED HANDED salute. ok?

so..ridicule them for that, not me for knowing what theyre doing. Youre wrong in your original post. As for the star of david - who was the gent who ran onto the pitch during Rangers game v israeli opposition? A celtic fan......

the star, im willing to bet, is in direct response to that.....

thanks!

not come onto Irish football forums and tell us we are making it all up would be a start.

not misinterpreting for the sake of sensationalism would be better bud...at least we LIVE in ireland and have a reason to be posting here.

odonnell wrote:
    a nazi salute..... yes? ok mate - im no loyalist, im no protestant, and im CERTAINLY not a unionist anti catholic HUN, so when i say this you must accept what im saying as the word of an insider ok?

THOSE IDIOTS who make one handed salutes are NOT making nazi salutes..... in their own mind, they are making a RED HANDED salute. ok?

so..ridicule them for that, not me for knowing what theyre doing. Youre wrong in your original post. As for the star of david - who was the gent who ran onto the pitch during Rangers game v israeli opposition? A celtic fan......

the star, im willing to bet, is in direct response to that.....

thanks!

Red hand salute? :D:D

Please explain to us what this red hand salute is, and why only Rangers fans seem to do it while singing songs about fascist gangs slitting catholic throats?

This is classic hun-ism. People can make up their own minds about whether a club with a history of far right wing and racist supporters are a: making nazi salutes or b: the other one that was invented on follow follow to somehow reconcile their dignified britishness with their nazi support.

you have been caught in a lie odonnell. that picture clearly illustrates that rangers support contains both nazis and supporters of israel, something you claimed was a delusion.

[QUOTE=odonn
    ell]not misinterpreting for the sake of sensationalism would be better bud...at least we LIVE in ireland and have a reason to be posting here.[/QUOTE]

there is nothing to misinterpret about that picture. at least UEFA have finally taken a stand against the cess pool of bigotry that is Rangers support and apologists for them like you

Red hand salute? :D:D

Please explain to us what this red hand salute is, and why only Rangers fans seem to do it while singing songs about fascist gangs slitting catholic throats?

This is classic hun-ism. People can make up their own minds about whether a club with a history of far right wing and racist supporters are a: making nazi salutes or b: the other one that was invented on follow follow to somehow reconcile their dignified britishness with their nazi support.

you have been caught in a lie odonnell. that picture clearly illustrates that rangers support contains both nazis and supporters of israel, something you claimed was a delusion.

didnt i just address that?

since youre obviously out for a witch hunt and NOT reading my posts mate - ive no time for you....

im all for a debate and all, and am certainly up for the discussion over a pint, over a game, over anything really - but blatantly ignoring someones response infavour of your own mindlessness is just ...well... silly.

move on mate - its your kind of hatred and paranoia we are all trying to root out.

odonnell wrote:
    since youre obviously out for a witch hunt and NOT reading my posts mate - ive no time for you....

im all for a debate and all, and am certainly up for the discussion over a pint, over a game, over anything really - but blatantly ignoring someones resposne infavour of your own mindlessness is just ...well... silly.

move on mate - its your kind of hatred and paranoia we are all trying to root out.

Please explain what the red hand salute is?

Please explain why it is usually seen while the Billy Boys, a song about fascist gangs slitting catholic throats, is being sung?

Dont try and worm out of this by saying im the hate filled one or mindless. You said people were 'sorely misled' to link Rangers with Nazism. I provided a photo of the event in question. Paranoia? You will have to do a lot better than that

Please explain what the red hand salute is?

Please explain why it is usually seen while the Billy Boys, a song about fascist gangs slitting catholic throats, is being sung?

Dont try and worm out of this by saying im the hate filled one or mindless. You said people were deluded. I provided a photo of the event.

didnt i just tell you im not a protestant, however mixing in the rangers circles entitles me to actually know what im talking about, or what my fellow "huns" are about?

thought i said that....

youre obviously no more than a spiteful bigot mate and like i said...theres no room for your like. sorry to say bud but youre back on ignore.... nowt but a disease to the sport....

[ps] you think id be living in dublin if i was a subscriber to all that nonsense? theres ignorance, and then theres... just... wow mate...

• Advertisement

odonnell wrote:
    didnt i just tell you im not a protestant, however mixing in the rangers circles entitles me to actually know what im talking about, or what my fellow "huns" are about?

thought i said that....

youre obviously no more than a spiteful bigot mate and like i said...theres no room for your like. sorry to say bud but youre back on ignore.... nowt but a disease to the sport....

that has to be the worst cop out of an answer i have come across in a long time. and that says a great deal.

I'm the bigot for pointing out that your fans contain the far right? I'm a 'diesease to the sport' for catching you in a direct lie?

You have pointedly refused to tell us what you and your ger buddies 'are about'. What is a red hand salute thats identical to a nazi salute and why has no-one else heard of it? Do you deny that the Billy Boys is a fascist song?

If you dont subscribe to all that nonsense, why are you defending it?

Woeful stuff odonnell.

whilst not actually being able to read your response from you being on ignore mate, i can safely assume youre playing the winners card... oh the triumph eh? youve shown an image which could be interpreted in many ways yet obviously .... we are all the devil us huns.

fair play like... but youre an embarrasment to scotland coming on here and spouting your pish pal. and thats my final word on it, to you at least, and i know most here will agree. So go and play the poor downtrodden 'tim' card and proclaim racial abuse back in glasgow...because at least there people are willing to take you up on it. theres no place for it here.

odonnell wrote:
    whilst not actually being able to read your response from you being on ignore mate, i can safely assume youre playing the winners card... oh the triumph eh? youve shown an image which could be interpreted in many ways yet obviously .... we are all the devil us huns.

fair play like... but youre an embarrasment to scotland coming on here and spouting your pish pal. and thats my final word on it, to you at least, and i know most here will agree. So go and play the poor downtrodden 'tim' card and proclaim racial abuse back in glasgow...because at least there people are willing to take you up on it. theres no place for it here.

no, you were able to make a bigger fool of yourself. defending nazi salutes, throwing labels like bigot about, claiming im the one with the chip on my shoulder and then failed attempts at mind reading.

ladies and gentlemen, i present the the glasgow rangers fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

at no point did he defend anything, he actally went out of his way to say bigotry had no place in sport

"This is classic hun-ism"

"the cess pool of bigotry that is Rangers support"

you coming out with comments like that, only makes you sound like the biggot.

Both sets of fans have absolute thicks amongst their supporters, most clubs do. For every horrible anti-irish/catholic song you mention that the rangers fans have, i'd be fairly confident that O'Donnell could name anti-prodestant,pro IRA, anti english songs that the celtic fans sing.

O'Donnell posts on this site all the time and the vast majority of his posts are well thought out and informative, you on the other hand . . . .

at no point did he defend anything, he actally went out of his way to say bigotry had no place in sport

"This is classic hun-ism"

"the cess pool of bigotry that is Rangers support"

you coming out with comments like that, only makes you sound like the biggot.

Both sets of fans have absolute thicks amongst their supporters, most clubs do. For every horrible anti-irish/catholic song you mention that the rangers fans have, i'd be fairly confident that O'Donnell could name anti-prodestant,pro IRA, anti english songs that the celtic fans sing.

O'Donnell posts on this site all the time and the vast majority of his posts are well thought out and informative, you on the other hand . . . .

if you think his responses to my questions were 'well thought out and informative' thats your problem. What exactly I have done to be labelled a biggot is anyones guess.

He defended the Nazi salutes by claiming they were something else. If he is reasonable fellow who is opposed to bigotry, why is he defending the bile that Rangers fans sing and their right to make the gestures they make?

I have never heard one anti-protestant or anti-english song at a celtic game. and no IRA songs for quite a while. Meanwhile Rangers get threatened with stadium closure for their song book. This two sides of the same coin nonsense is lazy at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72P7gKsGmoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOwqWQS8oRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY5Qa3gjk6Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM_ax89ge-w

two minute search on youtube brought up the following, which are all pretty recent. you're kidding yourself mate. dont fancy gettin into an argument about this. just your posts on this thread irritated me. my input on this is complete. take care

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72P7gKsGmoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOwqWQS8oRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY5Qa3gjk6Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM_ax89ge-w

two minute search on youtube brought up the following, which are all pretty recent. you're kidding yourself mate. dont fancy gettin into an argument about this. just your posts on this thread irritated me. my input on this is complete. take care

1: some celts singing on the way to a game and in pubs in a montage by a loyalist media company

2: some celts singing rebel songs in a square

3: celtic fans singing the fields of athenry

4: some celtic fans going to stamford bridge.

smoking gun stuff there, especially the third. :rolleyes: what am i kidding myself about here? that the worst things you could pin on celtic fans are camera phone images of a few 'up the ra' chants? :confused:

om not for a second saying celtic fans are all angels, but this is weak stuff.

all as bad as making nazi salutes in israel of course. and pointing out that this is disgraceful and inexcusable makes me a bigot?!?

i would call singin about the IRA in the same league as Nazi salutes yea.

My point was that you claimed Celtic fans no longer sing about the IRA etc, but in all the above clips they are. so you are wrong.

singing about the IRA in England is most definately comparable to Nazi salutes in Israel.

Pointing out that the Rangers fans shouldn't have been making those salutes doesn't make you a biggot and thats NOT wat i was saying. Wat i was saying that you slating all Rangers fans as being the same is wat makes you a biggot.

Be just the same as me comparing you to those pikys wearing celtic jerseys tearing up dublin city centre,but see i wouldn't do that though, cause i'm not a biggot :)

anyway, this discussion doesnt belong here, its nothing to do with football.

theres one other point though i should pick up - once again, once and for all, NO rangers fan ive ever known has ever in their lives made a nazi salute. I find it sickening to think that the celtic fans have jumped on that one and turned it into a nazi thing when it quite honestly is NOT. How many times does someone have to point this out?

Again - for the sake of the truly ignorant - how many people in Scotland have war-dead grand parents, parents, uncles, etc.... to the nazis in WWII, and even back to WWI. I think its going too far to suggest ANYONE in Scotland could be accused of supporting a party which nearly whiped us off the face of the earth. To accuse us of such support is a) ignorant, b) insulting and c) downright stupidity of the highest, most pathetic degree. Especially when such an accusation is made by Scottish supporters of the IRA. Youre British mate....live with that.

Also, if they supported the nazi party, why would they be flying the flag of the jews...

As miller says, this does not belong in football....

i have no idea if its a nazi thing or not o'donnell, i wasn't saying it was. If you're saying its not, i'll take your word for it

just saying that even if it was, coming from a fan i have no doubt sings about the RA etc etc its a bit rich.

i have no idea if its a nazi thing or not o'donnell, i wasn't saying it was. If you're saying its not, i'll take your word for it

just saying that even if it was, coming from a fan i have no doubt sings about the RA etc etc its a bit rich.

oh, no i know mate... i wasnt really responding to yourself :) like i said earlier - its an idiotic gesture to make (the raising of the hand etc) but i guarantee you, and anyone else who wants to make a deal of it, it is not a nazi salute. The fools who do it, believe they are making another, different gesture. Now, whether that gesture is based in history or not, is not for me to argue - i cant argue WHY people do these things....all i can say is WHAT they are doing. Its up to people to make up their own minds on who would be the better equipped to say this with any real certainty.

Again though, to mirror your sentiments - this REALLY has no place in football. Its just a shame it only takes 1 person to bring it to this level, as ever, and an ill informed one yet again.

[edit] at the risk of getting banned for backseat modding - i would like to see this thread locked, i think its doing more damage than good in conversational terms.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement