Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone prepare to poop in 3 's 'Broadband' shoes

Options
  • 31-08-2007 9:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/28/vodafone_hsupa/

Voda UK are following Germany are finally introducing HSUPA in September which will

1. Dramatically increase the uplink speeds on their 3g Data .
    2. Reduce latency ....not to gaming levels mindya but probably enough for sysadmins everywhere to keep their hair on their heads.

They also propose to increase the downlink to 7.2mbits

Voda Ireland, in fairness, are usually only a matter of weeks behind. I would be very surprised if this did not appear in the next 3 months...somewhere. In theory its a 7mbit/1.45mbit service but in practise it will be more like 2mbit/256k , they better review that 5gb cap so.

The only problem in the UK is that they propose to do this in a limited way in central London and in Airports, at least initially and have not announced a full roadmap. They appear to be rolling it out in areas where there is already good or even ubiquitous wi-fi access for the road warrior.

None of yeer current 3g or HSDPA modems support HSUPA and most do not support 7.2mbits so so hold off buying that modem until Voda announce the kit next week in the UK in order to futureproof yourself .

Its most likely this yoke .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I upgraded my Voda datacard about a month ago and they gave me the new Huawei E660 card, a 7.2 Mb card......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Sorry to poop on your title but you obviously missed this:
    T-Mobile and 3 have announced UK deployments during 2007

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3 will deploy nothing of the sort here given their current difficulties.

Huawei E660 DOES NOT SUPPORT FAST UPLINKS , its not HSUPA Compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

will they ugrade thier coverage in concordence with this?

Advertisement