Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Encryption

• 31-08-2007 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I have a quick question about encryption

If i was to encrypt a folder containing files on XP pro and then move the folder to XP home (that doesnt support encryption) I should not be able to access these files??

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, you will be able to access these files.

User A encrypts a folder on his machine. This means that only User A can access this folder when logged into the machine.

User A then attempts to copy this folder to a drive that doesn't support encryption (e.g. a USB flash drive). The OS decrypts the information as it gets copied, and copies it to the other drive unencrypted.

Lets say now that you have XP Home and XP Pro installed on the machine. Both run from the C:\. User A (in XP Pro) encrypts a folder on the C:\. Then he reboots and goes into XP Home.
    The user in XP Home won't be able to open the folder.

Encrypting folders can very easily lead to you losing everything in the folder if you're not careful. What exactly are you trying to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

thanks seamus.

Ive been reading about EFS on xp pro and was aware that home edition didnt support it and was wondering what would happen.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When I did the XP exams, there wasn't a whole pile of fuss about EFS in it, and I've yet to hear of a company using EFS on their production systems. I've only encountered when some user has managed to encrypt a folder and then wonders why they can't access the folder after I screw with their machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could also look at something like www.truecrypt.org if you want interoperability

Advertisement