Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A run time error has occured do you wish to debug

Options
  • 31-08-2007 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I keep getting this error when going onto a certain website.
    I click yes to debug and urchinTracker() is highlighted in yellow.

There havent been any changes made to this website before this started happening.

I tried deleting all my internet files- cookies and everything and that didn't help.

I tried uninstalling adobe because that was updated yesterday and that didn't help either.

Can someone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

urchinTracker is the name of a google analytics script. Perhaps you need to update the javascript in the site code. The current script reads:

[html]
    <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js&quot; type="text/javascript">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    _uacct = "UA-1037972-5";
    urchinTracker();
    </script>
    [/html]

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a javascript error, and when you have the MS runtime debugger installed, it tends to activate this option in IE. It's a PITA.

To disable this error from appearing in IE, go to
    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab
    Then tick "Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)".

Now when you get a Javascript error, you'll only see a little yellow triangle in the bottom left of the window.

Javascript errors that spontaneously appear are usually caused by a corrupt or out of date cache. I find that a number of hard refreshes (Ctrl + F5) eventually sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Sorry whats a PITA.

Probably not the best idea to disable script debugging cos Ill need to know if there is anything wrong with the site.

I looked at the javascript code I have for the urchin thing
    <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    _uacct = "UA-839592-1";
    urchinTracker();
    </script>

That is what I have.

So only difference is a different number.
    So if I change _uacct from "UA-839592-1" to "UA-1037972-5" you reckon it'l be ok then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PITA - Pain in the ass :)

When you disable script debugging, it defaults to the standard JS runtime, which also gives you error messages, but doesn't rudely stop you from clicking around. I've found the script debugger to be less than useless, but maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Its not too bad with VS 2005 (apparently 2008 is going to be fantastic but I've heard that before).

Personally if I need to debug some js I use Firefox and Venkman. Can't bate it with a big shtick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I found out active scripting was disabled and enabled it.

Not sure if that was the cause though.
    Anyway its working ok now.

Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Evil Phil wrote:
    Personally if I need to debug some js I use Firefox and Venkman.

Assuming it causes an error in Firefox. Ah javascript.

Advertisement