Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Came clean to insurance company about points

Options
  • 31-08-2007 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Happy days. Got my renewal details for €725 (Golf GTI). One of the conditions in the renewal was to admit to any points. So I told them I have 2 points (Got nabbed on the way to paying my insurance last year). The nice lady said there is no difference to the premium and €700 will cover it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2 points usually won't effect insurance premiums - usually happens when it's 4 points or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Afaik, even if they don't ask you about penalty points you still need to tell them as it's relevent information.

It's called Utmost good faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hibernian and Quinn have stated that they don't load premiums until the driver has 6 points or more, and even then they usually don't bother with speeding related points.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hibernian and Quinn have stated that they don't load premiums until the driver has 6 points or more, and even then they usually don't bother with speeding related points.

If thats true does that not make the system a farce from the insurance point of view. Surely they want to put a stop to claims and the way to do that would be to load premiums for offenders to deter other people?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hib. give a discount for 0 penalty points. So they effectively up premiums staightaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

See on Quinn's site now, you can also declare any modifications to your car. Must declare some of mine on renewal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

fletch wrote:
    See on Quinn's site now, you can also declare any modifications to your car. Must declare some of mine on renewal :D

:D:D:D:D:D Don't have a crash in the meantime so if you haven't declared them :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

kearnsr wrote:
    If thats true does that not make the system a farce from the insurance point of view. Surely they want to put a stop to claims and the way to do that would be to load premiums for offenders to deter other people?

The whole point in the first place was that penalty points wouldn't affect your insurance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Penalty points should affect your insurance surely?

Those with cleaner licenses (not saying better drivers mind) should pay less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Many insurance companies ask you what you received the penalty points for. For example, penalty points for not wearing your seatbelt or speeding would generally attract less of a penalty than penalty points for dangerous driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Penalty points should affect your insurance surely?

Those with cleaner licenses (not saying better drivers mind) should pay less.

As you stated before Henry - those co's that do not 'load' premiums for less than 6 points, do 'discount' them for less than 5 so it's all the same. Whether it's loading or discounting is just marketing blurb, the fact is that you pay more with 2 than you do with 0 and more with 4 than with 2 and so on. In fact, by Hibernian etc saying that they don't 'load' anyone with less than 6, they are in another way allowing themselves to load everyone who doesn't declare points to them as if they had 5/6 points. (i.e. if you don't declare 0 to them and provide your license number they treat you as if you have 5/6 points). They will say that they're simply not giving you the discount, it's all relative as Mr Einstein might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

MGrah wrote:
    .... (i.e. if you don't declare 0 to them and provide your license number they treat you as if you have 5/6 points). They will say that they're simply not giving you the discount, it's all relative as Mr Einstein might say.

Im sure Mr Einstein might be able to follow your logic there but you got me !

Have you ever looked for a quote where the question of points has not came up ?

One of the worst id est examples i have seen in a while !

Advertisement