Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Chain to Timing Belt

Options
  • 31-08-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Is it possible to change a Timing Chain to a Timing Belt. Current car runs a timing chain, and whilst it doesnt need to be changed for hopefully a long time (touch wood), I was wondering if the time comes, can it be changed to a timing belt. Main reasons being that the belt will be more reliable, plus it should help with a sometimes stuttering acceleration.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

what make / type of car? belt more reliable than chain?? dunno bout that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I seriously doubt it. You would have to change pulleys tensioners etc. In any case a chain is far stronger than a belt, hence it lasts far longer. No contest.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can't see how a belt would be any more reliable than a chain, if anything I would have thought it's the other way around. Assuming the timing has been correctly set, running should also be unaffected by whether you have a chain or belt. Finally, i'd imagine such a change would be very expensive, as it would involve fabricating many parts from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

A belt will not be more reliable!

The stuttering is not related to whether the engine is running a belt or a chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As already stated - a chain is much more reliable. That's why timing belts have a specified replacement interval, but a chain does not.

You indicate that the stuttering is intermittent - in that case it's unlikely to be related to the timing chain - if the timing was incorrect the stuttering would be present 100% of the time.

As for converting chain to belt - forget about it - it would be probably cheaper to trade the car in for one with a belt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hey all,
    Thanks for the replies. My main thinking behind it was the reliabilty of the chain (heard that it can easily stretch). But you all seem to say this isint the case, so Ill be happy with that! :)

Thanks again!

Advertisement