Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bongo import

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sorry, can't help you with your original question.

one thing to keep in mind though;
    After the latest info from the VRT people (see van conversion thread) I doubt that a Bongo will be recognised as a "motorcaravan" ...if that's what you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

have those rules changed? was sure it was measured form the heightest point of the roof when popped up!

looks like they're trying to rule out pop-ups
    (see what stapeler dug up from the VRT leaflet)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53843026&postcount=6

especially the last paragraph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

so that rules out most conversion then!

bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'm sure the rule was always there with 30% VRT for pop-ups. Assuming Revenue put say €12000 value on this, the vrt bill would add approx €4000. Then there's the shipping costs from Japan £700. You're looking at a possible €10,000 for it. That's still reasonably good value.

As reguards the seller. He would appear genuine however I would like to speak to the individual before buying. If he is genuine he'll have a few more vehicles later on so keep an eye out. Have a look at his feedback and even email the few people that have bought from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

When I had my van VRT'd, he was extremely particular about the inside height. He went back and forth up and down the van, measuring the height at three different points.

But I would be extremely surprised if Revenue put a fair value on the van if you import it.

I am now more than ever convinced that the only way to do it is to import a van over 3 tonnes. A Diesel as well. Diesel engines are heavier. And a few solar panels on the roof. All helps to add to the weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

peasant wrote:
    looks like they're trying to rule out pop-ups
    (see what stapeler dug up from the VRT leaflet)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53843026&postcount=6

This looks to be bad news for importing a Bongo but if one were to buy a Bongo that has already been imported and registered here as a camper would the tax continue to be 78euro a year?

Has anyone tried VRTing a pop-up since the revenues Camper requirements changed?

tribesman wrote:
    ...if one were to buy a Bongo that has already been imported and registered here as a camper would the tax continue to be 78euro a year?

I should think so.
    In my almost ten years of driving campers here no-one EVER looked at it again after the VRT people were done with it. So if the book says camper, camper it is :D

Advertisement