Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renmore

Options
  • 31-08-2007 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

what is renmore like to live in galway,and whats the nearest gym to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Its alright ... its a bit out of town but if you're going to the GMIT then its a good distance ...

The nearest Gym would be the Kingfisher ... which is ... wait for it ... wait for it ... in renmore :)

There aren't really any pubs there as such (maybe I'll get corrected on this) ... but you've now got the Eye Cinema a short walk away ...

hopefully thats some help ...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

Renmore is 2 miles to the centre of Galway and if you walk the train line (depending on where you live in Renmore, will take you only 10 minutes).

Great bus route into town and a short cycle

Nearest pubs (depending on where you live in Renmore)
    1.The Huntsman (although I think it makes most of its money these days through food).
    2. Days Hotel or Flannerys Hotel
    3. Merlin (dive)
    4. Bodkins (lots of students)

There are 2 Gyms
    1. Kingfisher
    2. Days Hotel (which also has a bar)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

How many posts are you going to make about where to live in Galway?! First about Crunch fitnesss in NUIG , then about City Gym near Tuam road and where to live near there and now about Renmore!? Pick a place and buy a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You tell him majiktripp :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

tmalmb wrote:
    Renmore is 2 miles to the centre of Galway and if you walk the train line (depending on where you live in Renmore, will take you only 10 minutes).

I was in Galway for years before I ever knew about this shortcut.
    Saves loads of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

micmclo wrote:
    I was in Galway for years before I ever knew about this shortcut.
    Saves loads of time.
    It does but can be scary for wimmins and little boys. It is a mile long and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Living in Galway all my life and I wouldn't walk that line at night time even with a crowd any more.

The area is well serviced by buses.

Pubs: If your a student you would'nt be too bothered about Flannery's or Days Hotel. The Merlin isn't a Dive but is the worst out of the ones near Renmore. It has the Assets of Supermacs & Shop next door and its also an Off License. I was never really gone on the Huntsman. Its very hard to become a "local". They try and make their money from food. Bodkins has been taken over by the guy who has Sally Longs, GPO, Olde Brewry & Coach House so I make out things will really take off there for the Students.

There are Gyms in the area but there is also one in the GMIT.

Despite the first line in my post; I would say that Renmore is probably one of the safest spots that students do traditionally live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I worked as a night porter in a hotel for six months and walked along that railway line every night on my own.
    Never had any incident except a few lads knacker drinking on the Radisson helipad always asked me for cigarettes.
    It's safer than you think.

Anyway OP, if you're working in Parkmore then buses from Renmore will be a problem.
    Try Ballybrit or I'd recommend Wellpark. Or buy a bicycle and save on gym fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Likewise, a lifer from Renmore, and never ever had a problem there, but I can see how women feel intimidated out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Renmore is a pretty good neighborhood to live in. Its just less than 2miles from town - 10mins on the bike. Beaches nearby & great parks!

The one thing it lacks is decent pubs/night spots
    1. The Huntsman Inn - what a waste of a bar license, its a restaurant that sells beer. It's the type of 'pub' that won't turn on a Irish rugby match "when food is being served". It's cold & uninviting, myself & the missus go occasionally but only when too lazy to travel further - its always full of people popping in for a pint or two before heading home - transient crowd so there's never any atmosphere. The food isn't bad (can be tasty) but is way over priced for what is essentially hyped bar food. The Sunday Lunch menu is more expensive than a proper restaurants!
    2. Days Hotel - worst than the huntsman. Always packed to the gills with coach loads of tourist putting down their night. It seems not to have a air-con system as it always is melting. The restaurant next door is very good!
    3. Merlin - never been in it.
    4. Bodkins - a type of huntsman but not as bad. Definitely better, more inviting & friendly bar staff.
    5. The G Hotel Bar - not a good bar.... but is an options purely because of the lack of a good alternative. The missus likes it... goes down well with groups of women. Everything is by waiter service. To order a pint of Guinness you have to flag a waiter down to order it - it arrives 10minutes later on the wrong side of 'serve chilled'. It would be an option if they got rid of the pretentious waiter service

As you can tell this is a bugbear of mine! I'm in my early thirties and accustomed to the selection of bars in Dublin city centre.

If you live on the Renmore side of town & fancy a night out... you have no option but to go to town!

Rant over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement