Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

second hand c180 merc

Options
  • 31-08-2007 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Looking at a 1997 C180 merc. Any opinions on these cars, eg. reliability, expense etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

I have a 1995 C280 Sport that I imported from the UK over 2 years ago. It's a great car but can be heavy on the miracle if you drive her on or use A/C .I am getting a catalytic converter for her now to pass NCT but other than that she has been virtually maintenance free and overall a very good buy in terms of value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Yep the 180 would be a tad underpowered (they're heavy cars) a 220 or as chevy said a 280 might be a better engine, what spec, avantgarde/classic/elegance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Bought a C180 recently and am delighted with it, lovely car. Take your time and shop around.

How much are you going to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

C180, manual, cloth interior, green, not overly tidy looking, Wouldn't pay over €4,500 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I wouldn't go for anything below the Elegance spec, I know it's the top spec on the car, but I don't see the point in getting a Mercedes unless you are geting at least a few extras.

I had a '95 C180, very nice car, absolutle lovley to drive, and not all that underpowered, still 130bhp(well new). But I have been in lower spec models and to be honest I just wouldn't buy one, the little extra touches make all the differance.

The one above looks like it might be a Esprit, due to the rear spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks a bit expensive to me. What trim model is it? Since it has plastic wheel trims I would guess that it is the Classic (basic) model. I would try and get an Elegance or Esprit model. Much higher spec for similar money.

Check this one out:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=353422

Leather, air cond and an auto. I know it is a UK import but look up the price of VRT on it and see if you can haggle with the seller.

PS. If I was buying a Merc I would go for an auto. They are regarded as being much better than their manual gear boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A 'rule' for Mercs I heard years ago (and have followed twice):

If it's petrol, it has to be automatic!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CoolGuy1

If you are going for the 1993-2000 model C-Class, you are far better off buying the facelifeted version of the car, which came out at the end of 1997. The car in the carzone ad is the pre-facelift version.

The changes on the revised model included new front and rear bumpers, darker rear lenses and a new type infrared key. The very old fashioned aerial was also removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The manual action on the c class is notchy and labourious. Auto or don't buy really. Also as said, esp as you looking for something pretty cheap, get the best specced example you can It'll be that bit easier to sell on later.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement