Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for student house (Galway City)

Options
  • 31-08-2007 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to look into what the most suitable type of broadband is for a student house in Galway City (Newcastle road). Main requirements are that it's cheap and that it doesn't need a phone line. It'd be a plus if the contract is for less than 12 months too (we only need it for 9 months). The house is pretty close to the college, so there's no need for massive cap or bandwidth (just for browsing, e-mail, not major downloading).

So far I've seen:

NTL broadband and TV package:
    Go Digital Select - TV and 1MB Broadband - € 9.99 a month for the first 6 months and € 45.98 a month thereafter. So a total of €335.82 for the 12 month contract (€37.31 per month over 9 months).

Irish Broadband:
    Ripwave Plus 1MB (6 Month Contract) - €26.95 per month and €37.50 activation fee (€31.11 per month over 9 months)

So the NTL package seems to be a bit cheaper when you factor in the TV - but I've heard some very bad things about NTL in Galway.

Any advice on which of the two is better, or better alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'd expect a better service with NTL. Just have a quick look on these forums and see all the complaints about Irish Broadband's less than great speeds.

Try contacting Digiweb also to see if you can get fixed wireless broadband.

EDIT: avoid 3's mobile broadband service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

NTL is usually the most popular for students being it offers the TV too! but recently their has been problems with their service in Galway, but this has been in the East side of Galway City seen the Vans out a few time pulling cables along the road so could be just the work that going,

IBB, well if your lucky then it's the best all round, for speed and cost, thats if your into P2P, we had it for 9months near GMIT and it worked for us, they where kinda relaxed about the contract as we had to move out and we couldn't bring it with us, This is the Breeze 3MB, and we need permission to put an antenna on the roof, Landlord was ok with it, but we showed that we had no interest in renting unless we could.

Digiweb Metro also is better value, that needs to be installed on the roof.

I wouldn't go for Ripwave at all! it's not cut out for Student use. just the same for some of the 3G providers

Advertisement