Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on Citroen C5

Options
  • 31-08-2007 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi, Anyone got opinions on a the Citroen C5 Diesel. Looking at a 02 model with 85K on the clock.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

depends on the price

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Utter rubbish. Avoid like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Care to back that statement up there Mr.Ford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Afraid I have to agree with Henry there. We have one on fleet - 2005 with about 85,000km on the clock. Spends about 1 week every month in whichever garage is closest when it grinds to a resounding halt at the roadside. 4 Clutches, 2 Gearboxes, 2 Radiators and a few other things.

Based on that alone - probably the most unreliable car on our fleet - I'd avoid the C5 just in case. There probably are some good ones out there, but I wouldn't like to take my chances with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

R.O.R wrote:
    4 Clutches, 2 Gearboxes, 2 Radiators

Holy god! I'd say Citroen parts dept. are pretty busy!

That sounds very excessie though - maybe its lemon? My mate has one about 9 months now and hasnt had any trouble with his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bland, boring, tacky, driven by farmers predominantly, and has quite possibly THE most boring interior I've ever seen in a car. And they don't hold any value at all. Avoid all French cars is a rule I live by really. They make great wine, food, architecture and women, but by God they shouldn't try to make cars. Here's the plastic fantastic interior ...
    04120038.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Drax wrote:
    Care to back that statement up there Mr.Ford ?

No need. Other posters have provided plenty of relevant info.

Queue someone to say "I've had 3 C5's, and all were perfect" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ned78 wrote:
    Avoid all French cars is a rule I live by really. They make great wine, food, architecture and women, but by God they shouldn't try to make cars.

This is almost funny if it weren't so sad - you are depriving yourself of some of the best cars ever made ?
    have you ever driven a 205gti,106gti, 309gti, clio 16v, 192 etc or 5 turbo or gt turbo ? how bout the SM - 2CV - Traction Avant (spelling) or DS ?
    If not why not ?
    If so how could you say that?

Although I agree - the C5 is best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

RobAMerc wrote:
    This is almost funny if it weren't so sad - you are depriving yourself of some of the best cars ever made ?
    have you ever driven a 205gti,106gti, 309gti, clio 16v, 192 etc or 5 turbo or gt turbo ?

Out of that entire list, I've driven the Clio 192, and was underwhelmed by it. I do however have a closet fantasy to own a 205 Gti in the future, they were an amazing car.

It's a a generalisation that I've made, and for the most part, with a few small exceptions, it's not too far off the mark. French cars are, in the majority of cases, terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I generally tend to avoid all technology based products, including cars, that originate from an area below what my old (Dutch) boss used to call the 'bidet-line', an imaginary line running through Europe marking the boundary of where bidets are commonplace. He used it to delineate those areas where he felt he could do business properly, but it covers other areas too, like an Italian central heating boiler I once had ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Comfortable seats, huge boot and the HDi diesel engines are some of the best on the market.

Don't think these are enough to make me buy one though.

Advertisement