Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 ?? Good Bad??

Options
  • 31-08-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

So Guys whats the verdict good or bad

also Petrol (1.6) or Diesel 1.9TD

short and sweet
    oh and what price range should 2000 models run in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Joeface - If I am honest I would say - avoid that particular model.

By the time they killed it that car had long outlived its shelf life. The new model is far superior in every respect.

A 00 Focus or Mondeo would be a far better option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have a 2001 S40, 1.8 petrol. Its the one with the Mitsubishi GDI (I think) engine. 117k miles and going strong. Computer tells me its doing 41.5mpg. Maybe a bit less than that. Have it since 85k miles and never had a problem. Comfortable and must be one of the best cars available for standard extras, a/c, leather seats, cruise control and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

1 all at the moment guys

but im now going to see an Audi A4 well 2 actually both around the same value and a year between them , 1.9tdi and about 130k miles on the clocks

asking 6,500

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the new model is quite small though. especially in the boot and rear seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

colm_mcm wrote:
    the new model is quite small though. especially in the boot and rear seats.
    I can get two sets of golf clubs in the boot of mine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rosser wrote:
    I can get two sets of golf clubs in the boot of mine...

Is yours this generation?
    i-main-s40.jpg

The Ford Focus saloon that the S40 is based on has 520 litre boot, whereas the S40 only has 404 litres. the boot itself is very shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i've a 01 1.9td s40, love the car, is economical, has poke when you need it, and apart from a few minor problems, it's been great,

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I drove my dad's 2003 one for about 2 years (company car) great great car.never a problem with it and a lot of mileage was done in it. His was the 1.8 turbo and it was very smooth. Built like a brick house and nice and sporty on the road. One of the nicest gearboxes ive ever used in a car too.

Advertisement