Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must have games on sole formats

Options
  • 31-08-2007 11:55am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Back when GTA San Andreas came out, I actually bought a PS2 just to play it. Being a PC gamer it was all I could do for a game I had to play. Another game I managed to get when I had the PS2 was Burnout Takedown and loved it, having tonnes of fun playing it. Now heres the problem, Burnout 5 is on the horizon with the PS3 being the sole platform its gonna be on.

Grrr, its so annoying wanting a game so much but it being restricted to a certain platform. I know I bought a PS2 to play GTA:SA but a PS3 is a tad more expensive.

So, just wondering is there any other games you have missed out on as they have been platform restricted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Gears of War is one of those games I felt should have been released on Pc along with the 360, it was fun to play on a friends 360 but I felt I would have enjoyed it more on the Pc given the nature of the controls, I'd personally find it easier to aim and move about comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Delly: look up "Flatout 2", for the PC. Not as great as burnout, but it still has great multiplayer laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Pyr0 wrote:
    Gears of War is one of those games I felt should have been released on Pc along with the 360, it was fun to play on a friends 360 but I felt I would have enjoyed it more on the Pc given the nature of the controls, I'd personally find it easier to aim and move about comfortably.

It's coming out on PC pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Ah thats good to hear, only thought it was 360 platform.

Was looking at that Mercenaries 2 there the other day, guy feeling told me it'd be only on Xbox360 and ps3, but its also getting a Pc release and Ps2 release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I felt I was missing out on Halo and Halo 2.

Then when I got a 360 I got a chance to play them.

VERY let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Burnout 5 will be on other platforms, but I don't think PC is among them. It is being developed primarily on PS3 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Halo2, still have not got Halo or Halo 2 for my 360. If anyone is selling Halo 2, PM me.

I played Halo on the Pc and it was okay but nothing special. I think the story line is very over rated. People say its got a good story line but I disagree, its pants. I mostly want to play Halo 2 so I know the crappy story before I start to play Halo 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

as already said Burnout is coming out on multiplatforms.

The only title that I think will sell PS3's is the new metal gear and seen as I'm not a big fan of the sequels to date I'll be giving it a miss. The 360 on the other hand has plenty for me - bioshock, currently playing the darkness and geometry wars :)

Halo 3 will be a big hitter though (not for me - God I've just alientated both the Halo and MGS series in one post, I'll be forced to retreat the the nintendo forum for safety soon)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Whats the deal? The console starved of decent exclusives has got to be the PS3, I mean who wants to play Lair, Heavenly Sword and Killzone 2 when the opposition has Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 on Wii, Halo 3, BioShock, Mass Effect and PGR4, plenty of games I really want to play.
    I have yet to buy a PS3 and am sorely tempted, but outside of Motorstorm, Resistance and maybe F1 I see little to make that purchase essential, certainly nothing being released on it exclusively that I need to play, so I may just wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I bought a Gamecube for Monkey Ball alone, and there were multiple other games that made it worthwhile long run. Monkey Ball is still very much my favourite mind you.

The same with any console you buy. I bought a 360 for PGR3 and that ended up barely being touched in favour of Call of Duty.

Actually, thinking back, I got my PS2 for Gran Turismo 3 which I couldn't wait to play, also bought a little game called GTA3 with it since I liked the original and heard it was good but I had no idea just how good. It was a long time before I touched Gran Turismo.

If you buy a PS3 for Burnout you'll soon discover Motorstorm, and Stardust and Lair and Heavenly Sword and Haze and Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted and Warhawk, and that's just in the first couple of months you'll have the console.

Games I've missed because they were on the wrong platform? Everything on N64. I couldn't afford all consoles back then. I've since gone back and sampled all the big games like Goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda, but didn't enjoy any of them to be honest, it's amazing how some games age and very hard to appreciate them if you weren't there first time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

steviec wrote:
    I bought a Gamecube for Monkey Ball alone, and there were multiple other games that made it worthwhile long run. Monkey Ball is still very much my favourite mind you.
    Thinking of doing the same, unless it comes out on a newer console (it'd be cool on the Wii).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I got an xbox for shenmue 2. Then never played the xbox again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

For me:

360: Dead Rising, EDF, Bioshock (not played it yet, but I want it!)
    PS3: GT5, MGS - reason enough to own one, I'd say.
    Wii: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Wario - without a doubt the best exclusive line-up

Tellingly, the PS3s must-have exclusives are yet to be released. I still love mine though :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

the_syco wrote:
    Delly: look up "Flatout 2", for the PC. Not as great as burnout, but it still has great multiplayer laughs.
    Will do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Syco, Monkey Ball is on the Wii, just thought I'd mention it.

I must be the only gamer about who found the whole MGS thing really pretentious and boring, aside, perhaps, from the edition on the PSone.
    Too many cutscenes, too much lengthy sermons amidst an action game.
    I can certainly appreciate the craft in making it and can't fault the sound, visuals or character design, but they forgot to include a game!
    The combat system is horrible, the controls are like something from the dark ages and I really hate sitting through 10mins of story before I get to do 5mins of action, before being treated to another 10 mins of cutscene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You obviously haven't played MGS3 which fixes everything wrong with MGS2. After a rake of lenghty cutscenes in the first 30 minutes the game settles down and actually lets you play the game with little interruption, which MGS 2 really should have done. Also the story isn't confusing rubbish like MGS2.

Advertisement