Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyscrapers or high rise buildings.

Options
  • 31-08-2007 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

On that 37 story building in Ballsbridge which has yet to reach a decision.
    Hopefully Dunne will be refused due to the stupid area they have decided to put it into but in theory we should be moving this way. However as we operate on Brown evelopes in this country it may go ahead anyway.
    Sure a 37 story building will funnel a thousand or two people into the same area but if it's properly planned with propper car park facilities there should be no problem or perhaps a Luas line or something that will encourage people to move towards not having to bring their car to work.

Now personally i'm all for it, perhaps not in Ballsbridge but as property costs are through the roof it's a logical step imo. Everyone i've spoken to British, German and some Americans have said that Dublin should be building upwards not outwards.

Do you think it's about time we allow Skyscrapers and the like to be constructed in the City Centre and surrounding areas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Irelands first highrise/skyscraper is under construction atm near the point depot - it will be 35 storeys high. So that will be the first - should be completed next year. Then the U2 tower across the Liffey - 130m and 'Heuston Gate' - 123m. So things definatley moving in the right direction. I dont see an issue with a tower like this in D4 tbh......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I agree with high rise as I feel it keeps the city compact and avoids long commutes but I dont agree with it in the suburbs. I think the docklands should be built high rise that way people live near the city centre which is where most people work and also it would look nice. That way you would have the New Dublin like Point Village, U2 Tower, Heuston Gate, Grand Canal Dock with tall modern buildings and nice apartments, but would also have Old Dublin like O' Connell Street and those areas with historical architecture.

But the one thing that really annoys me is that whenever they build a new nice area up with apartments the goverment gives them out as council houses and the area just becomes another Ballymun instead of creating council houses across the city in older or more suburban areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The problem is with D4 there are houses there and the resident natually complained. Basically they have houses worth millions and this building may block sunlight from their gardens making their property less valuable.

I'd personally be in favour of it as long as they did it right and not like Sandyford ind est which is a prime example of bad planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You hardly need the Luas to it, when the Dart passes just down the road from it. As to the building itself, it would look a bit out of place, and people around there will object. Given the area it is, the people there would have a lot of clout. So it may never happen. We can only wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I think there is the issue that these buildings would change the character of the city centre if there or D4 also, potentially in a negative way. Of course such architecture could be imaginative and beautiful on that scale, but heh this is Ireland ....what are the chances ..... Docklands is the area this should happen as it's character is being formed now.

Dublin is far too sprawling. The huge conurbation of housing estates stretching from Swords to Bray can be depressing. Higher density, medium rise housing in and around the city centre would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

high rise is the way to go, sure arent we going to get there eventually so what is the point is putting it on the long finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

If they make *something* out of the building, then its not a problem - in fact nearby houses go up in value. Consider the worst apartment in New York, with views overlooking ESB? Or Toronto and CN Tower. San Francisco and TransAmerica. See where I'm going? Instead of stupid-ass square buildings, Ireland needs some architectural genius.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Ballsbridge is probably best location for such a development and from what I've seen no gardens will be in shadow. Right next to Dart, walking distance to city centre, complete lack of facilities in the area at present, Numerous bus routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Perhaps time to bring Martinez back so we can have another " Dunne and dusted".

This is an egotist trying to bully those of us who have the timerity to challenge his attempts to build a monstrosity to him.

See below from todays IT

Copyright 2007 The Irish Times
    All Rights Reserved
    The Irish Times

September 1, 2007 Saturday

Developer Seán Dunne has rounded on what he calls the "serial objectors to every major development in this country".

Mr Dunne, who yesterday put his plans for the redevelopment of the Jurys Ballsbridge/Berkeley Court hotels site on public display, also criticised city councillors who voted against a local area plan in May which would have allowed for the type of high-rise development that he is proposing.

"The councillors because of the general election, or perhaps for mischievous reasons and for their own benefit, decided to vote down the local area plan before they even had the manager's report," he told RTÉ Radio One's Morning Ireland programme. "That's the first time in the history of planning in Dublin that such a thing has happened."

Mr Dunne said 85 per cent of what he was applying for was already in the current development plan for Dublin city and was in keeping with the mixed use of residential, retail and office development as proposed in the local area plan.

"In total we are providing nine acres of public, accessible space to the residents and the community of Ballsbridge on a site that measures seven acres," he explained.

He said the development would only lead to a 3 per cent increase in the volume of traffic in the area and the retail and cultural aspects of it would lead to a 15 per cent increase in house values in the area. "It allows people to do all their shopping within walking distance and to have all the amenities that people acquire of a city centre district."

He confirmed his intention to keep the Berkeley Court Hotel open, although he has not entered into discussion with any hotelier yet.

He denied that his motivation in reopening the hotel was to defray the EUR 379 million he spent acquiring the seven acre site two years ago. "The viability of the hotels is well-known. That's the reason they were sold. I don't think it is going to meet the building costs of this project."

Mr Dunne said he was confident the scheme would be a success despite the current turmoil in the housing market.

"I have had to leave Ireland on two occasions because of recession in the country. Thankfully, I don't see that happening again because Ireland has turned a corner since 1987. Successive governments have handled the economy well. It's a great country. It's a great place to live and it's a great place to do business."

Mr Dunne said he has lost no sleep over the price he paid for the sites which was the biggest property deal in the country at the time.

"We have a five-month-old boy at the moment and thankfully he's sleeping through the night. I have to say I'm one of those people who don't worry. I have a positive outlook on life, I have a positive outlook about Ireland, the economy and Ballsbridge. I have no fears about the success and viability of this site whatsoever."

He said his reasons for taking on such a massive scheme were not motivated by the potential profit he could make from it.

"Money is only a requirement to carrying on business. In the greater scheme of things, money to me is not a necessity. I like putting people together, I like putting projects together and seeing the fruits of my work. I'm proud to go back to any development we have ever built."

LOAD-DATE: September 1, 2007
    From the same paper

"Similar sentiments were expressed by local architect Tony O'Beirne. "I represent the silent majority of people in this country. I think Seán Dunne has vision and courage and it seems to me that any project with vision gets strangled in this country."

WTF does Tony O'Beirne think he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

A 37 storey building upsets some people. That's fair enough and understandable. Personally I'm all for building upwards.

What I don't get is why other new builds can't be 10 or 12 storeys high, think of the new developments like at the old phoenix park racecourse. Its a completely new 'suburb' far away from any established residences, why do they have to stop at 4 or 5 storeys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Any more news on the high rises apparently being constructed in Killiney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Any more news on the high rises apparently being constructed in Killiney?

try www.skyscrapernews.com

Advertisement