Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aternator bust

Options
  • 31-08-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

The battery light came on the car yesterday evening. I checked to see if it is charging by connecting up a voltmeter to the battery with the engine running. It is reading under 12volts.
    The car is Mk5 polo petrol.
    What are my options?
    where can I get a new alternator and how much do they cost?
    Can I get the alternator repaired?

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You're probably best off to have your alternator reconditioned. Where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Whereabouts are you? I had Hamiltons (off Camden St) repair my alternator before, they were quick and not too expensive. Ph: 01-4755157

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

I am out in Maynooth. Do I bring the car or just the Alternator?

If you remove and refit the alternator yourself, it might be easier on your wallet as there's less labour involved, but the likes of Hamiltons will have no problem removing the alternator for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

Any ideas on how long it takes to do? Do I leave it in and collect it a few day later?

• Advertisement

Should be repaired in the same day if get to them early enough - give them a buzz and see what they say.

Advertisement