Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring

Options
  • 31-08-2007 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me.
    I got offered Midwifery today in UCD but as ive already accepted a different course(not through CAO) i was thinking of deferring it until next year.
    when you defer a course does it mean that you HAVE to do it next year?
    like say next year i decided i actually didnt want to do it could i decline the offer? please help lol thanks x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

To defer you contact the college immediately and say you want to defer, they'll let you know the way to defer.

Next year you reapply through the CAO and put down only Midwifery on the CAO form and you'll get your place.

However if you decide you dont' want the place you can just not reapply through the CAO or if it's after you've applied just not take up your place, you're under no obligation to take up a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Amata

So i wondering if someone could help me...!my problem is a bit different but i was wondering do you still pay free fess (as in 1000euro)if you defer a year??and do you have to have an amazing excuse?i'm in second year arts...I'm 21...did my leaving in 2004...did a course in dcu, then dropped out. went back to ucd the following year, but broke my ankle and had to defer my year, but through no fault of my own! Had to pay full fees for that year cause i'd already done a different course for the year...now my best friends are heading to australia and south america for the year and i don't think i can miss out on the opportunity!any advice??i'd really appreciate it!i'm so confused about it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

I defferred half way through last year, (Final year arts), and this year i was charged the reg fee, 900 yoyos, tuition fees, 1000 yoyos, and the student centre levy, 150 yoyos.

but i think i got off light coz i was in a transition stage between the tradition system and the new crap modular system.

if you injured urself u should not have had to pay fees on medical grounds, whether u did it or not. ditto goes for psychological grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

i want to defer next year (im in 2nd arts now) to go travelling and get away from this country for a while! - anybody know what the story is with doin that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Talk to Aisling O' Grady, she's the student advisor.

Generally I think you need to get a letter from admin about it oh and you need to be in good academic standing, i.e. have passed all your exams.

I'm open to correction though, the last time this was discussed was a way way back. I think DaveMcG should know more though, pretty sure he was involved last time in this conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

i want to defer next year (im in 2nd arts now) to go travelling and get away from this country for a while! - anybody know what the story is with doin that?
    Just ring up the programme office telling them that you want to defer. As long as you pass your exams there's no problem. I'd say it complicates things if you fail anything though.

I was expecting it to be a big deal but it's really not... You just ring them and tell them, and they'll have you email them so there's a written record, and then they reply to you for your own record.

That's about it... you email them when you're coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

seems straight-forward enough - on return do you still have the third year free?

Yep (just pay registration, SU, etc)

yeah,it seems pretty straight forward!i was meant to go to the student advisor on monday but she wasn't in, but the programme office were really helpful...she says its a leave of absence and there shouldn't be any problems. im still unsure as to go or not, but im leaning more toward staying because i'll be the only one who doesn't have a degree if i go!and my parents will not be happy bunnys...i'll be missing out on so much though!it's such a tough decision!

Just take the year Amata, and then come back with a fresh perspective and a clear head! It worked for me :) I still am not keen on some of my course, but I'm gonna get through it definitely.

There's really no reason for you NOT to take the year..... what you do after that is up to you, but you'll benefit from getting away from the studies for a while, and if you decide you want to continue your course, you won't have to pay fees or anything! Much better plan than dropping out now and having to pay fees for another course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Why won't someone think about the bunny rabbits with bushy tails?!

thanks for the comment dave!if only it was so easy!my dad would kill me cause he's already paid 7,000 in fees for me!my mam said she doubts he'll help me pay for anything if i go!she thinks il meet someone and wont come back!i enjoy my course and dont wana drop out or anything...il defo be coming back the following year...i've already had 2years out...im just afraid i'll be missing out on the trip of a life time and it'll be so hard for me to get into the study after i've had a brill time!if i stay il meet them next summer for three months,but it won't be the same!is there anyway i could do the first semester here and then the second semester the following september??i know that sounds ridiculous casue the same lectures wont be on, but that would suit me brilliantly!wishful thinking!

ah, that complicates things, yer own yer own then! :D Not sure about the semester thing, sorry

Advertisement