Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company disclosed my details to another customer

• 31-08-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

A company I was dealing with were mean to send me a cheque , but they messed up and sent me someone elses cheque. I rang the company and made them aware
    of this. I got a call the next day from the customer whos cheque I had, saying he could meet me as he lived close by, rather than posting the cheque
    back - he told me he mentioned this to the company and they were agreeable.

What I want to know is did the company have the right to disclose my name and phone number and approximate address to another customer? Surely this breaches my right as a customer?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Its a data protection breach. Visit www.dataprivacy.ie and register a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe the other customer was already aware of you and got your number from the phone book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Droxol

No, we live 15 miles apart, and we have never met before. He got my name and number from the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Droxol wrote:
    A company I was dealing with were mean to send me a cheque , but they messed up and sent me someone elses cheque. I rang the company and made them aware
    of this. I got a call the next day from the customer whos cheque I had, saying he could meet me as he lived close by, rather than posting the cheque
    back - he told me he mentioned this to the company and they were agreeable.

What I want to know is did the company have the right to disclose my name and phone number and approximate address to another customer? Surely this breaches my right as a customer?

Or maybe between the company and the stranger they were just trying to get this issue solved asap, so that you both had what you were supposed to get with as little hassle as possible.
    I would imagine the person with your cheque asked he company " hey where's he from, does he live/work close to me, I can just arrannge to meet him and swap cheques".

Thats my interpretation of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check out the website quoted, and if you're actually concerned that someone took some initiative to get you your money, then contact a solicitor.

Legal advice cannot be given out on this forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement