Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medieval:TW Kingdoms

Options
  • 31-08-2007 12:58pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Unless I'm mistaken, the Kingdoms expansion is out today. Anyone without a job actually played it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nope I'm too poor, I am looking forward to "evaluating" the game before I buy though >_>

I've heard good things about it, I like the mulit-player co-op which was said to be in the game, I wonder if thats the Campaign map. If so then It's a nice change.

I'll probably buy it this weekend If I can find teh monnies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

have'nt played the first game yet,is it for hardcore stratergy fans or could anyone put it up and get into it real fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its hard to say Sephiroth. All the total war games are essentially the same, so if you've ever played the others it should be no problem. I honestly don't remember what it was liked when I first installed Shogun Total War all those years ago.

The strategy map should be no bother to pick up, you can take your time and theres an annoyingly large amount of advice. The battle map might be a bit more complicated to play well, but you should be able to get your head around it quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Just played it there for a few hours, I'm impressed. Its weird how they have it installed though, you can choose what campaigns you want install then gives you seperate desktop Icons for each one. I started on easy to get my head sorted with everything new, the basics are the same its just getting to know what units are what, how strong they are etc. I find it a good bit harder than the original Medieval 2 on easy actually. The hardest campaign I've played is the Americas chapter, playing as the native aztecs, mayans etc can be really really tough especially when you're up against heavily armoured units, and if you're they type of person you doesn't like watching whole stacks being wiped out by a an army half the size it isn't for you :p

Was gonna give write a better post, but its late !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

I must say I like the focus on specific periods a lot. Gives the game a more personal feeling. Particularly the Teutonic period as Lithuania, you actually really get the feeling of being the last pagan nation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Why oh why do the Irish have Scottish accents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Carolus Magnus

Why oh why do the Irish have Scottish accents...

Well, they had to pluck this mysterious "Brian O'Connor" figure out of nowhere for an Irish leader of some kind of non-existent Irish opposition during this period, so I guess they were never going to be that orthodox. That or budget constraints dictated a two for the price of one approach with the Scottish voice actors ;)

Must get my hands on this, but it'll be more out of the hope that it revitalises the game a bit for me. I don't know, Medieval 2 was a technically great strategy game, but it hasn't done much for me. Feels like a bit of a chore in places in all honesty, and shockingly I've never gotten past 100 turns as any nation. Then again, it is at its heart, a re-skinning of Rome: Total War. There's a certain je ne sais quois missing from the game. Or it could just be nostalgia on my part. EUIII is doing much more for me these days, but it's hard to beat real time battles.

The Crusader and Teutonic Drang nach Osten campaigns in this look to be the most interesting. The British Isles one sounds like it might jar with me a bit, and the Americas campaign would be the least interesting for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think the scale of the add on in itself is fairly impressive.
    Took forever to install.

The game is much the same though.
    The main difference is learing the new units and how they pair off.
    Changes have been made to the defence/attack points for units we're familiar with in the core game, mabey to improve the balance of battles?

Have played 2 campaigns, Britannia & Crusades.
    By some distance the crusades is superior.
    The weighting of the Crusades campaign has improved.
    The muslim units are now more of a match for European knights..

All in all good for an expansion. Expect more from their next core title.

ps: Is the guy who narrates the intro videos the same who narrates 'little britain' :D Bring back Brian Blessed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

was never really into expansion packs, too much of a half a game feel to them, though I might have a look at this one as total war is cool, does anybody know what the price is for this ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I payed 30 quid for my in gamestop,mind you I could'nt find it in any other shop....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Love the Total War games and this is one excellent expansion to Medieval.

Only done the Americas so far, as the Indian Natives.
    Beat the french when they came, then the english came and beat the spanish.
    Just beaten the Chichimec tribes but had to fight over their land with the Traxcalans so now I'm at war with them. They block me from going to south america anyhow so it was inevitable.

Definitly a must buy!

Advertisement