Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst place in Ireland......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Derry is in Ireland, it is not in the Republic of Ireland but it is in Ireland. There is no political entity known as Ireland.
    Lol. Yes there is. The country this website is hosted in is named Ireland. Read the constitution, check your passport.

The Republic of Ireland is a, quote, "description" of the state. And also the name of the international football team. Nothing else. The name of the country is Ireland.

This needs to be repeated 4,000 times a day.
    Leixlip is a bit of a dive tbh
    Ah here!
    Terry wrote:
    This coming from a stab city person.
    Hey, we gave the world Guinness.
    Shut up, Hiller. We gave the world Guinness. The only thing you gave the world was more STDs.
    Clare Bear wrote:
    Leixlip isn't that bad...bomb O-zone though.
    Will you marry me?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ibid wrote:
    Shut up, Hiller. We gave the world Guinness. The only thing you gave the world was more STDs.
    Don't make me get stabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Worse place in Ireland : Tallaght.

There was a crossword clue recently which said "Place worshipped by primitive people, 9 letters". I was tempted to put in "TheSquare".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

My name is Michael Cody, im from Dublin, ive just spent a few years in derry it has to be the worst place in ireland because:
    1. The people have the most annoying whinging accent ive ever heard.
    2. The place is looks like its falling down.
    3 There are no decent single women in the place, they are all pregnant by the age of 18 and drawing dole.
    3. The place is extremely zenophobic and narrow minded.
    4. There are no decent bar/clubs.
    5. The place has to be the most divided and sectarian city in Ireland.
    6. The place is full of scumbags.

I could go on and on, but I did meet some good people there, mostly from ther loyalist/ protestant side of the city. Before I went up there I like many from the south rhought that I united Ireland was a good idea now im completely against it, im now of the opinion as kevin myers wrote in the irish Times that a team of JCBS should work 24 hours around the clock and dig a trench aroud the North and let the North float into the atlantic sea!
    I think that Derry people in general lack confidence about their city and have chip on their shoulder about where they are from.
    Anyway rant over anybody got any other similar experiences?

OP, as a Dubliner living in Derry Id like to gain an insight into your reasons for making the above remarks. Ive lived here for quite a while and although I have had some bad experiences here Ive found the place more personable and have a much better standard of living than I had in Dublin.

1. The accent can be annoying as can their slang, but thats true of every town/city....horses for courses.
    2. Where exactly looks like its falling down....theres so much re-generation going on both in Derry and Belfast (long overdue for both places) that some complain that its becoming too modern.
    3. From what Ive seen, there are a multitude of young single women in the city-centre on any weekend night...obviously being nearly wed for me its look but dont touch.But I can testify that the talent is plentiful.
    4. I can think off-hand of at least seven good late bars/clubs in the area...but again it depends what sort of music you're into.
    5. I whole-heartedly agree that the city is divided, due naturally to historical and political reasons. But you will find that more and more areas, mainly on the Waterside, are becoming integrated. Still though there are too many areas that represent one side of the community. The town has come a long way, but still has a lot to go.
    6. I think you can take this statement and use it in any big town/city in Ireland or anywhere else in Europe. Everywhere has a scumbag element, Derry is a working class city.....it has been neglected by successive governments both in Westminster and Stormont due to reasons which shouldnt be discussed here. It is slowly transforming into the place that it can be.....but this will take many years and much public and private investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Castledermot. Every time I drive through it I end up having to see a therapist to get back my will to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

uoluol wrote:
    NAVAN..... How come nobody mentioned this dump.

The town keeps bleating on that they want a train station..... it doesn't even have a bus station! It doesn't have a public park...... the roads are full of pot holes and they have a joke of a shopping centre. If my sis (Hi Nead) didn't temporarily live there, I would gladly never set foot in that kip again.... ("only an hour from Dublin" - my a**e):rolleyes:

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

ciano1 wrote:
    eh Clonmel,Tipperary....cant believe nobody said that

Clonmel got voted friendliest town in Ireland (or possibly the south east) on some radio thing before. Couldn't believe it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Steez wrote:
    Clonmel got voted friendliest town in Ireland (or possibly the south east) on some radio thing before. Couldn't believe it tbh

what station ????Tipp fm

sums up clonmel pretty well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Iy7K-Qjo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I think I need to take you on a trip of west Kerry and west Mayo...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oh my god how can you not just let the stupid, totally pointless and retarded argument about derry and londonderry go? Its cocking ridiculous. We all get what you are mothercocking driving at ok?
    Everyone cocking gets it and nobody is impressed.
    Yeah. The last goddamn 50 years of a history lesson from the most biased sources on the planet. Hey look, its like a Stormont assembly! On the one side, RA lovin morons arguin the toss because big bold UK didnt give back your 6 counties, on the other side yet more pedants surely only in it because you finally get to use your word of the day. We got it 30 years ago. We got it at omagh. Look, whether your imaginary friend transubstiates or consubstantiates, I dont give a cock. and its pointless rambling cock like this infecting public opinion and fora on the internet when it does not deserve any sort of canvas for argument beyond a moronic **** smear on a pub toilet wall. Take it to a forum where someone cares. Take it to a forum where the topic is petty whining.
    OR, revolution, Try and actually listen to each other, to even one sentence before you post back with more cock that we all have to wade through and come up with a reasonable cocking compromise instead of goddamn well using each other as a sounding board for your tedious longsuffering bigotted views of each other. I mean did any of ye even read what anyone else wrote? Or were you all too busy trying to slip in an "800 years, thats why" somewhere in there? Cocking solve it yourselves on PM because I for one am sick of this argumentative ****e you always come up with about a goddamn situation you totally fail to understand in the first place. I just dont get how you dont realise that your pointless flag pitching for your side accompanied by your quaintly idiotic small world views is not ****ing OK anymore.
    You hear that dull knock on the side of your rather hollow skulls? Thats the dull thud of realisation that you have no idea what the cock you are talking about. Now shut your cocking mouth and let the mothercocking thing go. I am just sick to my cocking back teeth of your childish whining about S H I T that nobody else cares about. Its totally off topic, you sound like a bunch of tartly tards and worse, I can actually picture the drunken pub scene in which the lot of ye hammer the cock out of each other until someone cries because their shamrock / union jack tattoo got bled on. The only thing that Ye are displaying from this ****ty, pointless, derivative and off topic argument is that you all have the IQ of a long disembowelled AIDS ridden monkey testicle and I treat your opinions with the same respect as I treat toilet paper after the first wipe.
    cock.
    I retire from AH.

Thanks for your opinion!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Letterkenny. I detest this town/soon to be city (god forbid) for several reasons.

First off would be their accents. It's like having to be stuck with the Nordie accent, in a town in the south. The town is so disorganised too. Admittedly, this isn't their residents fault, but the fact that the town has exploded population wise over the last ten years means that you've to go all over the place to get anything.

Cavan's also a grim place to stop on a bus journey.

Bundoran too actually. When whoever came up with the line "we have our own Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal", I doubt that they were referring to Bundoran, however, this is what it's become. Except an awful lot less glamourous, less exciting and smothered with Nordies for August.

Letterkenny. I detest this town/soon to be city (god forbid) for several reasons.

First off would be their accents. It's like having to be stuck with the Nordie accent, in a town in the south. The town is so disorganised too. Admittedly, this isn't their residents fault, but the fact that the town has exploded population wise over the last ten years means that you've to go all over the place to get anything.

Cavan's also a grim place to stop on a bus journey.

Bundoran too actually. When whoever came up with the line "we have our own Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal", I doubt that they were referring to Bundoran, however, this is what it's become. Except an awful lot less glamourous, less exciting and smothered with Nordies for August.

And your location is?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

Tory Island,no real scumbags just a load of people pissing their lives away on the the dole...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

smashey wrote:
    And your location is?????
    Back ass of nowhere Donegal. But there's no point going on about my place, because none of you will have ever been there.

Back ass of nowhere Donegal. But there's no point going on about my place, because none of you will have ever been there.
    Well, unless you live on the top of Errigal there is a chance some of us have. :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

And the winner is...........................
    Granard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

For me I can't see the difference between las vegas, nv and bundoran, they are so similiar its unreal :D

on a serious note, Bundoran isn't all that bad, letterkenny either. There are worse towns in Donegal than those two for sure. Moville has gone to the dogs in recent years, it was a really nice town 20-25 years when I used to go on holidays up there with my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

rossie1977 wrote:
    Moville has gone to the dogs in recent years, it was a really nice town 20-25 years when I used to go on holidays up there with my parents.

rose tinted glasses??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seeing as its becoming a Donegal thread :D Raphoe!

Checkmate!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

derry is one of my favourite places along with donegal in ireland.my two personal faves,dublin is the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Belmullet, County Mayo.

It is a complete ****e hole. Oh Christ I don't know where to start, so I won't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dj_quinn

It's hard to pick a worst spot on this rain and booze soaked island. The litter on the steets and sides of the road is also worse than in any ghetto I've seen in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The thing about the Irish is that..

We moan until we´re too miserable to moan anymore.

Why do people ask "what´s the worst place in ireland" or something to that effect when we´re downright better off than many/most other places in this world.

Stop begrudging and relaise that we ARE completley sh1t until we stop moaning about how completely sh1t we are.

Get the chip off you´re shoulders and come to terms with the fact that we are normal in the greater scheme of things.

Every country is crap. But every country is great. Do you really think that we are the only people with problems?

We are poor. We are rich. We are ugly. We are beautiful. The same can be said by/about any citizen of any other country.

Why do we feel we have to comment on ourselves?

It´s the most pathetic thing we can do considering f3ck all other countries care about us. And do we care about them? No.

We just like to think that the Irish deserve more attention than other countries.

And we don´t. We´re just other grains of sand on another little beach beside another big ocean.

Learn to swim.

Cause Ray D´Arcy says we should.

(Yet another little pebble)

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dj_quinn

The worst place has to be were my ex wife is from, Kilmacow in South Killkenny. It is the absolute sticks and the Culchie Capitol of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's amazing how noone has mentioned the perceived baddies.
    Moyross, Darndale, the'mun, Fingerlass, Mulhuddart, I Shot The Sheriff Street, Summerhill, Crumlin bang bang, Jobstown bud, Fettercairn bud, Ballineaaaaagh Cownty Mayooo (mini stab city).

Gimme a dead boring country town any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

kraggy wrote:
    The thing about the Irish is that..

We moan until we´re too miserable to moan anymore.

Why do people ask "what´s the worst place in ireland" or something to that effect when we´re downright better off than many/most other places in this world.

Stop begrudging and relaise that we ARE completley sh1t until we stop moaning about how completely sh1t we are.

Get the chip off you´re shoulders and come to terms with the fact that we are normal in the greater scheme of things.

Every country is crap. But every country is great. Do you really think that we are the only people with problems?

We are poor. We are rich. We are ugly. We are beautiful. The same can be said by/about any citizen of any other country.

Why do we feel we have to comment on ourselves?

It´s the most pathetic thing we can do considering f3ck all other countries care about us. And do we care about them? No.

We just like to think that the Irish deserve more attention than other countries.

And we don´t. We´re just other grains of sand on another little beach beside another big ocean.

Learn to swim.

Cause Ray D´Arcy says we should.

(Yet another little pebble)

K.
    AH isn't worthy of you. And vice versa :p

Anyway, this entire thread was covered in Des Bishop "Fitting In" DVD. Wasn't much a fan of his but that show is vintage Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Ringaskiddy, Co.Cork.

Advertisement