Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wndows Media Player (Vista)

• 31-08-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just got a new PC a while back with Visat and WMP v.11. Thing is it's unusually slow. When selecting a track to play, for example, it takes about five seconds for the song to begin playing. Also - and more frustratingly - it takes forever to rip and burn CDs, much longer than previous versions on XP. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How much RAM do you have?
    In my experience 1.5GB or even 2GB of RAM is the minimum I would have in a Vista system.

1GB is bareable
    512MB is unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Same problem on XP with WMP11 only started happening recently. I can't remember if I updated it or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

IrishTLR wrote:
    How much RAM do you have?
    In my experience 1.5GB or even 2GB of RAM is the minimum I would have in a Vista system.

1GB is bareable
    512MB is unrealistic.

I have 2046MB / 2GB RAM...surely that's enough? There's barely anything that's vacuuming memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have 2046MB / 2GB RAM...surely that's enough? There's barely anything that's vacuuming memory

That would be more than enough for every day use.

It could be this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There is some reported weirdness going on with MP3's and the audio enchantments feature in Vista.

Go into the sound control panel and bring up the properties of your audio device and in one of the tabs there may be a disable all enhancements function tick the box for that and see how it goes.

As for CD ripping not sure, just in case check to be sure it is not playing the track while ripping it as sometimes software does that e.g iTunes and will slow the process down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Could also be a codec problem. I haven't had any issues myself in the last 3 months of using Vista.

Try installing these:

Vista Codec Pack v4.4.9 Final Release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah all background functions (file conversions etc.) asre off, there's nothing running in the background anyway and the CD isn't playing as it rips. I'll see how the Codec Pack goes anyway. Thanks for everyone's help!

Advertisement