Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Broadband Provider Help

Options
  • 31-08-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone here knows the answer to this.

If I switch from one broadband provider to another, do I also need to cancel the service from the first provider or is that all part of the process ?

I switched from ISP1 to ISP2 in January and for six months was being billed by both providers.

Before I switched, ISP2 told me I wouldn't have to do anything to cancel my ISP1 service but are now taking no responisbilty. ISP1 are saying I have to give them a months notice in writing to cancel the service with them ..

Does anyone know the official line on this ? A link to a comreg with this info would be great.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Depends on the type of BB service you took from ISP1 at outset.
    Say it was Irish Broadband Ripwave.
    That does not have a set initial contract on it so you can cut them loose at any time - even the last day of the calendar month ! - and you owe them nothing.

But some other (normally higher speed services with significant installation costs) will have an initial contract period.
    In the case of wireless BB which uses an antenna on your roof there'd usually be a 12 month contract period.

So - find out what service you first got off ISP1 and look at the paperwork you had from them then, eg emails, terms and conditions on their website, etc.
    Ask other users of that service. Or even call them as "Johnny Murphy" and pretend you're taking out that service !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

v10 wrote:
    Hopefully someone here knows the answer to this.

If I switch from one broadband provider to another, do I also need to cancel the service from the first provider or is that all part of the process ?

I switched from ISP1 to ISP2 in January and for six months was being billed by both providers.

Before I switched, ISP2 told me I wouldn't have to do anything to cancel my ISP1 service but are now taking no responisbilty. ISP1 are saying I have to give them a months notice in writing to cancel the service with them ..

Does anyone know the official line on this ? A link to a comreg with this info would be great.

Cheers.

It would be a help to know who the isps involved are - its ok we are all friends here - spill the beans:) Are they dsl providers?

There is a form for transferring between dsl providers seamlessly (this does not include Smart) did you fill in any type of form.

However if you changed from say NTL to a wireless provider thats not a good situation!

It is in the terms and conditions of all the isps that some form of notification of termination of service is required but really it would be best if you told us who the isps are etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

dub45 wrote:
    It would be a help to know who the isps involved are - its ok we are all friends here - spill the beans:) Are they dsl providers?

There is a form for transferring between dsl providers seamlessly (this does not include Smart) did you fill in any type of form.

However if you changed from say NTL to a wireless provider thats not a good situation!

It is in the terms and conditions of all the isps that some form of notification of termination of service is required but really it would be best if you told us who the isps are etc etc.
    I suppose :rolleyes:

I moved from UTV to BT ... and the contract period with UTV was up, but the issue is not about outstanding money, its about whether or not UTV should automatically cancel my service and stop billing me when the request comes in from BT to transfer the service to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they should and should transfer you same day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well UTV have not been supplying any service to you - it is only possible to have one isp on a dsl line! (It would have been different if you had been using wireless and cable) Ask UTV what services they have been providing to you that they want payment for.

Just on the off chance had you transferred your telephone line to UTV?

• Advertisement
Advertisement