Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on mounting tv

• 31-08-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am in the process of buying a 42" lcd and was thinking about mounting it on the chimney breast. We have dual central heating (oil and solid fuel) but wouldnt light the fire that much ... maybe more so in the winter. Anyway just a couple of things... is it ok to mount a tv on the chimney breast or would the heat from the fire damage it? and secondly if I mount it there I intend to chase the walls to bury the scarts etc in plastic casing... or is there an easier option without having wires trailing down the wall? And finally wheres the best place to buy scarts as the standard ones I have would not reach I take it i'll have to buy maybe 3m ones?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Must resist urge to reply to subject of thread only.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Theres always one :D .... just to clarify... non sexual :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

pissed wrote:
    Hi, I am in the process of buying a 42" lcd and was thinking about mounting it on the chimney breast. We have dual central heating (oil and solid fuel) but wouldnt light the fire that much ... maybe more so in the winter. Anyway just a couple of things... is it ok to mount a tv on the chimney breast or would the heat from the fire damage it? and secondly if I mount it there I intend to chase the walls to bury the scarts etc in plastic casing... or is there an easier option without having wires trailing down the wall? And finally wheres the best place to buy scarts as the standard ones I have would not reach I take it i'll have to buy maybe 3m ones?

Thanks in advance.

Mounting on the chimney breast is fine, if there is a mantel you can keep the screen down low, if not a min of absolute min of 300mm would be suggested. Chase the wires if you want to keep the installation clean. Do remember to run a HDMI cable as well to future proof the installation, you don't want to have to rip it out again!.
    Get the best scart leads you can afford and make sure that if you are running a mains socket behind the screen that you can isolate the socket if required (ie isolation switch or know where the socket getting its supply on the fuse board).

keep in mind that where as the screen may look nice on the chimney breast, if it's too high its not going to make for enjoyable viewing looking up at the screen for long periods of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanx for the reply, yes there is a mantle so i'll try keep it as low as possible to ease the neck. Good idea also about bringing the socket up as I was just going to run the power cable down to the socket but your way would be handier if the set has to come back down in the future.

Advertisement