Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Renault Laguna III

Options
  • 31-08-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭

I know we have seen a few sneak photos of the new Laguna already but here are a few better ones "in the flesh".

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_222437_5.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_222442_5.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_222441_5.jpg[/URL]

Not too gone on the exterior myself, looks a little Citroen C6 to me, rear looks very like the existing C5 too with a hint of Mondeo. Looks wise, not as ground breaking as previous Laguna models imo though that colour couldn't do it justice anyway. Interior looks good and quality (from the photos anyway) looks very good. Will wait until I see in the flesh before passing final judgement though.

Also apparently Renault are now driving (no pun intended) to vastly improve their quality and reliability image starting with the new Laguna. Interestingly enough they will be offering a 3 year warranty on the new model in the UK to back this up. Will we see the same here? Any thoughts on the car in general?

The full article is below for anyone interested but bare in mind the source so they will probably slate the car soon after it's launch. :rolleyes:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/210124/renault_laguna.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

After the last one, it's going to take a lot of persuasion to get people to even consider the new one.

Looks OK, and the first thing Renault are telling us about the car is that it will have fantastic reliability - whether we are going to see enough on the roads (and especially our fleets) to prove Renaults claims? We'll have to wait and see, but I doubt it.

(Sits back and waits for call from Renault to say demo model is on it's way for 6 months as they've hundreds around becuase no one is buying them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ugly.

My first criteria when looking at a car is looks. If it fails that, I don't care how good/reliable it is.

There will be no MK III Laguna in my driveway.

Also, given the poor performance of the last laguna, I think Renault should have changed the design significantly and given it a new name. Remove this new & improved version from the last car altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Sorry this is off topic
    But doesnt the steering wheel with the clocks behind look like a dog's face. ( cartoon type that is)
    Maybe its just me I dunno.

That said its not a bad looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The front of the car isn't too bad, but the back is just comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

chef wrote:
    Sorry this is off topic
    Bit doesnt the steering wheel with the clocks behind look like a dog's face. ( cartoon type that is)
    Maybe its just me I dunno.

That said its not a bad looking car.

Lol yep only noticed after you mentioned it. Bit like a saab at the back and a citroen at the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

chef wrote:
    Bit doesnt the steering wheel with the clocks behind look like a dog's face. ( cartoon type that is)

you mean:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think it looks OK. Not half as well as the last one, but not nearly as bad as the current Mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Modern euro-bland with a dash of er Korea.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Someone crashed a Citroen C5 into a Honda Prelude!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The only bit I dont like is the rear wiper. Assuming its not on when the pic was taken it looks like its going to be permenantlyupp and then come down (and up as opposed to up then down) when you turn them on. I prefer the rear one to be down when not in use , nicly tucked behind the spoiler, more or less out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bazz26 wrote:
    Also apparently Renault are now driving (no pun intended) to vastly improve their quality and reliability image starting with the new Laguna. Interestingly enough they will be offering a 3 year warranty on the new model in the UK to back this up. Will we see the same here? Any thoughts on the car in general?

I would say highly unlikely, no change that definately there won't be a 3 year warranty. It would cost Renault too much money:D .

All joking aside, its standard practice for cars in the UK to get a 3 year/60,000 mile warranty, while at the same time we get 2 years unlimited mileage warranty(as a result of an EU rule to try and improve the deal the punter gets from the car maker/dealer, no less).

Renaults in the UK have had 3 year warrantys for ages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Ceb

im not sure about it, i wouldnt buy one but i think by todays standards its actually quite nice, my da is actually on the waiting list for one too but he's only into the comfort aspect of it, im optimistic about their promise of reliability as a result of their purchase of nissan, hopefully we'll see some nissan parts in there and that may be why theyre confident about reliability too, also im a definate fan of the new laguna coupe, heres a few pics
    Renault_Laguna_Coupe_Concept_1.jpg
    Renault_Laguna_Coupe_Concept_2.jpg

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The 1.5dci Diesel engine is a very nice little engine, plenty of pull and its very quiet compared to the VAG group diesels. Its quite cheap

Its cheap because Renault here have taken the unusual step of selling the dCi at exactly the same price as the 1.6 will sell for when it arrives next year.

When the Petrol comes, the 1.5 diesel will sell for the price it should have sold for all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote: »
    Its cheap because Renault here have taken the unusual step of selling the dCi at exactly the same price as the 1.6 will sell for when it arrives next year.

When the Petrol comes, the 1.5 diesel will sell for the price it should have sold for all along.

The prices are on the site, the 1.6 is cheaper again.

http://www.renault.ie/vehicles/laguna/laguna_options.asp

Oh so it is. However, I was led to believe that Renault are meant to be giving the grand off the 1.5 dCi till such time as the petrol model comes(which won't be till mid to late Spring next year).

Whether or not the diesel will cost a grand more I don't know how anyone could choose the 1.6 over the 1.5 dCi. €1,000 of a premium for an oil burner is extremely reasonable indeed. And the Royale version comes with nothing as standard. The Dynamique model is very well equipped however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Gorgeous looking car in the flesh, had a black one up my arse on the ennis-galway road last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

seriously ugly, the old one was better looking and the one before that better still.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep the Royale model seems to be fairly thin on standard equipment which is uncharacteristic of Renault especially compared to the previous models. No climate control, rear electric windows or alloy wheels, etc. More a result of our VRT system me thinks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Base models are there for a reason. If it started at a Dynamique level, people/fleet buyers would be complaining that there was no lower spec version

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Royale is not very well equipped but then it is substantially cheaper than many of its diesel class rivals which aren't very well equipped either
    Quick comparison
    Laguna Royale: 26,700
    Peugeot 407 base: 29,200
    Ford Mondeo LX: 28,000
    VW Passat base: 30,500

Specs are similar, no alloys on any of them etc. The 407 and Passat have climate control, the other two have manual aircon.

Even allowing for the extra climate control I think 30,500 is crazy money for a base model TDI Passat with the outdated 105 bhp 1.9 engine.

PS I have dual zone climate control in my current laguna. In 4.5 years/160,000 miles I've only ever used it to test it and to see how it worked. Don't see what all the fuss is about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BrianD3 wrote: »

PS I have dual zone climate control in my current laguna. In 4.5 years/160,000 miles I've only ever used it to test it and to see how it worked. Don't see what all the fuss is about it.
    It's handy if your significant other always complains about how hot/cold the car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

not the worst looking car ever, but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, the depreciation on the I and II lagunas is horrendous, and really i cant see this being any different at least with the passat your car will still be worth something at changing time. A mate bought a II laguna 3 years ago from Liffey Valley Renault went to trade it back in there after 2 years and it had lost 16 grand in value, car was originally 29k + change, madness i tell ya

Melion wrote: »
    had a black one up my arse on the ennis-galway road last week.

That could be misinterpreted in so many ways. :p:D

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The Royale is not very well equipped but then it is substantially cheaper than many of its diesel class rivals which aren't very well equipped either
    Quick comparison
    Laguna Royale: 26,700
    Peugeot 407 base: 29,200
    Ford Mondeo LX: 28,000
    VW Passat base: 30,500

Specs are similar, no alloys on any of them etc. The 407 and Passat have climate control, the other two have manual aircon.

Even allowing for the extra climate control I think 30,500 is crazy money for a base model TDI Passat with the outdated 105 bhp 1.9 engine.

Base Passat has manual air conditioning afaik unless they upped the spec for 2008.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Aircon is essential these days. Manual or climate control is a moot point. They work the very same way. If you have manual a/c and it's too cold then turn the heater up a bit.

In addition a/c needs to be used regularly as the refridgerant is also the system lubricant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Melion wrote: »
    ...had a black one up my arse on the ennis-galway road last week.

:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

So the all new Laguna is a bit cheaper than it's rivals.

The last model was supposed to be a major step forward in quality, but wasn't. It was horrendously unreliable. It was however tremendously fast (to depreciate). You could not give them away used.

It's possible the new one is better, but would you believe Renault?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Sick bastards :D:D

For people in Limerick, there is one parked up outside the Renault garage on the top of Willaim St by the fire station

Advertisement