Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing private car from UK > What docs do I need for VRT?

Options
  • 31-08-2007 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

I would prefer to buy off a garage but have seen some 1 owner private cars that look tempting.

What docs do I need to get from owner?
    What docs do I need for revenue at hollyhead?
    What docs do I need to VRT in IRE (prob the easy bit)?

I heard of someone who couldnt drive their car for weeks as they didnt have forms xyz or was missing something or other.

>>>>>>>>> Pitfalls to avoid appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The complete V5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

What docs do I need to get from owner?

Get the full V5 except for the part about permanent export, which they keep and send off. Also get a receipt of payment; the person I bought off did one up on their computer for me, well actually she didnt speak much english so I did it up and she signed it.

What docs do I need for revenue at hollyhead?

I got pulled over both in fishguard and rosslare. They just asked me if the car was new and I said yes, no need for paperwork. But the receipt would probably come in helpful here if things got sticky.

What docs do I need to VRT in IRE (prob the easy bit)?

When you get the VRO, there is a form in the lobby that you need to fill in. It asks for engine number and stuff; it also asks various details including a small box for extras on the car, I just wrote standard (lie); they guy did chuckle when he was inputting the data on the form, not sure about what exactly :D

I printed off the page from the online calculator. He asked me where I got it and I said I did it myself, he seemed impressed; so you should bring that along may speed things up. He only took the V5 form off me, the bank draft and asked me my PPS number to write on the back of the draft.

I read you are to bring the service booklet with you and also a receipt in addition. I didnt get asked for any of these however I did see someone get turned away for not having it while I was waiting.

After waiting I got served and processed in about 5 minutes, I was the last person on a friday evening though so this may have been something to do with it. Showed up at about 10 to 4 (closes at 4), took my ticket and got served about half four.

Good luck!!

Advertisement