Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God is uncertain?

• 31-08-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

so i was thinking would life have evolved, or what kind of life would have evolved, if there were no such thing as the uncertainty principle, im not too sure on the whole self-replicating-complex-molecules thing, if it would have happened, but im pretty sure what you'd end up with without the uncertainty principle, whatever it was, wouldnt be 'life'

and then i thought, hey, it also explains the something-from-nothing start of the universe, and the huge explosion, or 'big bang' :)

i believe in God, and used to read the debates on here, but they just annoy my head at this stage, some people believe because its easier for them to believe, others dont because its easier for them not to, my veiw anyway. my god-of-the-gaps is gone now, what'm i gonna do now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

so i was thinking would life have evolved, or what kind of life would have evolved, if there were no such thing as the uncertainty principle, im not too sure on the whole self-replicating-complex-molecules thing, if it would have happened, but im pretty sure what you'd end up with without the uncertainty principle, whatever it was, wouldnt be 'life'

and then i thought, hey, it also explains the something-from-nothing start of the universe, and the huge explosion, or 'big bang' :)

i believe in God, and used to read the debates on here, but they just annoy my head at this stage, some people believe because its easier for them to believe, others dont because its easier for them not to, my veiw anyway. my god-of-the-gaps is gone now, what'm i gonna do now?

Well, you have options, including but not limited to:

1. reject what you've just thought of, continue as before
    2. reject what you've just thought of, get born again, take Genesis literally
    3. decide to think no further about it, continue with reduced faith
    4. accept an even more limited Deism
    5. follow the 'uncertainty' bit through, and become an agnostic
    6. decide that your logic disproves God, and become an atheist

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just keep reading and thinking and realise that you don't have to stick with the same belief for your whole life. You may be hovering towards atheism now, which is fine. But you may read something in a few years that turns you into a deist, which is also fine. Maybe you'll end up turning to Islam and following that for a few years...

So just go with the flow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

yeah, im going with the flow anyway, just wondering what peoples veiw on the uncertainty principle in evolution is. i was going to post it in either the biology or physics forum, but thought i might as well throw it in here.

not going to give up on God, either, but then it all depends on how you define 'God' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh sure doesn't it always come down to that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Uncertainty is not something that can just be unplugged from the way the Universe works. It arises from the fundamental nature of matter and energy. For Uncertainty not to be in effect, the rules of the Universe would have to be so radically different as to be quite beyond the power of hypothesis of the human mind, and certainly, life anything like what we know would not exist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement