Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cryptopsy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Once was not would be my favourite album overall but generally a very good technically death metal band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Pretty damn good band, not one my top brutal bands, always preferred Aborted, Necrophagist, Benighted and Cannibal Corpse to them, technical brilliance withstanding their not easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

None So Vile is always worth a listen but I must admit not knowing much about their other stuff, whats the next album I should check out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Den_M wrote:
    None So Vile is always worth a listen but I must admit not knowing much about their other stuff, whats the next album I should check out?

Whisper Supremacy is worth a look, but I find that None So Vile is easily their best work, so it's kind of a bit downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I'll check that out. Must be a pain in the balls when you write such a great record that it's almost impossible to top it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I haven't listened to them that much but I was into Blasphemy Made Flesh for a while. I must give them another listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Whisper Supremacy is worth a look, but I find that None So Vile is easily their best work, so it's kind of a bit downhill from there.

I think it's a good album, but I just dislike Mike DiSalvo's vocals, which really takes away from it. The first Cryptopsy I heard was Once Was Not, and I have a big soft spot for it. I find it's the most experimental of the albums, it messes around with little snippets of jazz and Spanish guitar and stuff rather than just being pure brutality.

I still remember the first time I heard Open Face Surgery- blew me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Undergod wrote:
    I think it's a good album, but I just dislike Mike DiSalvo's vocals, which really takes away from it. The first Cryptopsy I heard was Once Was Not, and I have a big soft spot for it. I find it's the most experimental of the albums, it messes around with little snippets of jazz and Spanish guitar and stuff rather than just being pure brutality.

I still remember the first time I heard Open Face Surgery- blew me away.

Once Was Not is a decent album. I definetly like the fact that they had a bit more variety on the album, and the Jazz bits are always great, like in "Cold Blood, Warm Hate" where the little Jazz flourishes really made the song. But on the whole, I just don't think it was as strong an album as None So Vile.

I don't mind DiSalvo's vocals. There's always been this big divide between fans over Cryptopsy's vocalists, but I could take 'em or leave 'em all. Lord Worm has more of a dry bark to his style, I'll say that much about him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

One of my favourite DM bands. Had the pleasure of meeting Flo at one of their gigs in TBMC. 1483604386_l.jpg

None So Vile was the first album of theirs I heard (after hearing Slit Your Guts on a mix CD a mate of mine made), blew me away. Some 2 years later I think, a different friend came over to my house in Galway and put None So Live on. I started shouting at the CD player for the perversions of the drum solo, never heard anything like it before.

[edit] Lord Worm would be my preference for vocalists

So.... let's BLEED!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, Cryptopsy kinda have what they do down to a fine art. Not always what I'm looking for, but damn good band.

• Advertisement

Not always what I'm looking for, but damn good band.

Seems to be a recurring theme. Karl kinda said the same thing, and I agree. Wouldn't be able to listen to em most of the time, but by **** I enjoy it when I put em on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Slit Your Guts is one of the best DM songs I've ever heard.

To be honest, re-kindling my liking for them last night, had been a while since I gave them some serious time, and they really are a cracking band. I'll still throw on other stuff for different moods, but stuff like the heaviest part of Carrionshine is just mind-boggling.

...stuff like the heaviest part of Carrionshine is just mind-boggling.

That was how you introduced me to them. :D

I still remember the grin...

Advertisement