Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navigable map - best solution?

Options
  • 31-08-2007 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I need to make a map of Ireland sorted into provinces, and then probably into counties and lastly a map of the county mapping golf courses in the county.

What's the best way to do this effectively? I've done it before using an image map, but I'm not sure if there is a more up do date method which is more effective? I always thought image maps were a bit yuck..!

Also - does anybody know where I can buy (for a reasonable price) rights to use a map of Ireland, probably just want an outline with very little marked in.
    Thanks.
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'd say flash ... trace out the map of ireland ... trace out the counties .. and in you zoom ... you'll only have what you want on it as a result ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

forbairt wrote:
    I'd say flash ... trace out the map of ireland ... trace out the counties .. and in you zoom ... you'll only have what you want on it as a result ...
    It's an option yeah - I might do something up in Swish because I've no great flash knowledge. Never even thought of that but I'll look into it! Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

http://www.ilovenicii.com/flex/v6/V6.html

click "show counties" in first one, its rollover'able.

I used Google earth and used adobe illustrator to trace every county on a different layer, Then imported it in flash and made each county a button so you can roll over it,
    The second part is each county saved as a separate swf , as i am using flex.

Anyway that was just a little thing i did to show the client what was possible right now im reading in from database and for whatever time i get returned different county names and they get selected automatically, alot of advanced actionscript 3, flash and mxml :)

PS: also check dunnes website, just noticed after i did my stuff, its similar, best way is flash, swish is really limited although i think if you drew the map [i.e traced it] and had each county on a different layer then u could make them into buttons where rolled over they change colour.
    personally i think you should look into flash, its similar , bit more advanced but obviously better. Instead of using illustrator, place map of ireland with counties already on and lock the layer, and on each new layer trace each county but they will have to over lap and you will need to use borders of previous/close counties and its really really tedious and frustrating which is why i use illustrator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Placebo wrote:
    http://www.ilovenicii.com/flex/v6/V6.html

click "show counties" in first one, its rollover'able.

I used Google earth and used adobe illustrator to trace every county on a different layer, Then imported it in flash and made each county a button so you can roll over it,
    The second part is each county saved as a separate swf , as i am using flex.

Anyway that was just a little thing i did to show the client what was possible right now im reading in from database and for whatever time i get returned different county names and they get selected automatically, alot of advanced actionscript 3, flash and mxml :)

PS: also check dunnes website, just noticed after i did my stuff, its similar, best way is flash, swish is really limited although i think if you drew the map [i.e traced it] and had each county on a different layer then u could make them into buttons where rolled over they change colour.
    personally i think you should look into flash, its similar , bit more advanced but obviously better. Instead of using illustrator, place map of ireland with counties already on and lock the layer, and on each new layer trace each county but they will have to over lap and you will need to use borders of previous/close counties and its really really tedious and frustrating which is why i use illustrator

What about a variation of one of those "Flickr Style" Image maps with CSS?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ive never used imagemaps, actually im not sure how they work but im assuming their hacked together with little or no interactivity.
    if you use flash, you can do pretty much anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement