Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science??

Options
  • 31-08-2007 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

For anyone who has sat the Junior Cert. can you let me know what extra things you have to do before the written exam in science?
    I know about the Expt. book, Experiment and the two projects. Is that all??
    Also, are the projects done at home or in class and are they hard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yes, theres the two projects. They can only be done in school. Usually you get to do it in groups so its pretty easy. The department send 3 titles from investigation (Bio, Phy,Chem) and you pick two.

The practical notebook is just a case of writing them up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yes, theres the two projects. They can only be done in school. Usually you get to do it in groups so its pretty easy. The department send 3 titles from investigation (Bio, Phy,Chem) and you pick two.

The practical notebook is just a case of writing them up

The teacher will usually decide what project to do all you have to do is fill in a experiment log and a opener which is based on facts [note dont quote from Wiki as you can never trust a public encyclopedia]

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭samapp

Stev_o wrote:
    The teacher will usually decide what project to do all you have to do is fill in a experiment log and a opener which is based on facts [note dont quote from Wiki as you can never trust a public encyclopedia]
    Thanks what is an opener

Sorry for being bleak there its the whole 2 months of not being told about things of the JC

Basically when given your experiment and you finished it you ll be asked to right a introduction. So you talk about equipment used, the theory involved and other facts like that.

But dont worry its only about 2 pages available and you dont actually get the list of experiments till q3 of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

our science teacher tells us we can do 2 department projects or 1 project we come up with ourselves...he is making the whole class do the 1

• Advertisement

ciano1 wrote:
    our science teacher tells us we can do 2 department projects or 1 project we come up with ourselves...he is making the whole class do the 1

So he's making you all pick off the list? You do realize that you cant do a random experiment you have to do one thats listed by the Department of Education right?

Yea exactly. You cant go making one up....

Stev_o wrote:
    Sorry for being bleak there its the whole 2 months of not being told about things of the JC

Basically when given your experiment and you finished it you ll be asked to right a introduction. So you talk about equipment used, the theory involved and other facts like that.

But dont worry its only about 2 pages available and you dont actually get the list of experiments till q3 of the year

Thanks you have been helpful, so just so I am clear, I get a choice of two out of three, it is done in class, an it is filling out an experiment log type thing.
    Is it difficult in your opinion, should I panic and also would I need to be really good at science to understand it.

samapp wrote:
    Thanks you have been helpful, so just so I am clear, I get a choice of two out of three, it is done in class, an it is filling out an experiment log type thing.
    Is it difficult in your opinion, should I panic and also would I need to be really good at science to understand it.

Right all 3rd years HAVE to do any 2 experiments from a list provided by the Department that covered topics over the course. Again your teacher may decide and they will probably choose the easiest.

No not all. Most are very straightforward and the basis of them you have covered in your course.

No you dont have to be incredibly good. For the introduction you can use references from teachers books internet so its all very handy. The experiments are simple enough and you ll get loads of time to them, and usually if you have messed up you ll notice [you ll find the odd calculation error here or there that doesnt make sense so you retry that last step you did]

Dont panic as i said you have to do this till around about Q3 [verify anyone] and by then you ll have covered the course and it will be a breeze

Stev_o wrote:
    Right all 3rd years HAVE to do any 2 experiments from a list provided by the Department that covered topics over the course. Again your teacher may decide and they will probably choose the easiest.

No not all. Most are very straightforward and the basis of them you have covered in your course.

No you dont have to be incredibly good. For the introduction you can use references from teachers books internet so its all very handy. The experiments are simple enough and you ll get loads of time to them, and usually if you have messed up you ll notice [you ll find the odd calculation error here or there that doesnt make sense so you retry that last step you did]

Dont panic as i said you have to do this till around about Q3 [verify anyone] and by then you ll have covered the course and it will be a breeze

Thanks so much, I am very calm now.

• Advertisement

Yes it was around end Feb/March we got them

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭-donegal-girlie

Stev_o wrote:

Omg..our teacher told us what to write for every question word for word..!! im so bad at science so thank god she did..but like..:eek: :confused: :eek:
    At least im not going to do any science subject for the leavin cert!!

Omg..our teacher told us what to write for every question word for word..!! im so bad at science so thank god she did..but like..:eek: :confused: :eek:
    At least im not going to do any science subject for the leavin cert!!

Hate to be the one to say it to ya but your whole class will loose marks. Everything written has to be a persons own view.

Our teacher told us that the Department went as far as bringing in two lads for questions because both of their experiments were written out the exact same word for word [one of them latter told he just copied of the other and lost marks etc]

But sure if your not doing science for LC [Thought you had to though] it wont really matter

Stev_o wrote:
    Hate to be the one to say it to ya but your whole class will loose marks. Everything written has to be a persons own view.

Our teacher told us that the Department went as far as bringing in two lads for questions because both of their experiments were written out the exact same word for word [one of them latter told he just copied of the other and lost marks etc]

But sure if your not doing science for LC [Thought you had to though] it wont really matter

Ahhh..:eek: oh well...:rolleyes: we do not have one good science teacher..i got the worst one..we dont do ANYTHING in class..and shes never in!! The boys just play der ipods for the class..and every1 else is just on the fone to friends..its soooooooo GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!:mad:

Nope we dont have to keep science..i wont need it for primary school teaching unless im going to teach in england..which i would never do..im stayin in the hills of donegal..;) Its not a requirement for St pats..sooooooo...since im so bad at it..no sence in keeping it..but i havent picked my leaving cert subjects im doing TY...wooooooooo

Ahhh..:eek: oh well...:rolleyes: we do not have one good science teacher..i got the worst one..we dont do ANYTHING in class..and shes never in!! The boys just play der ipods for the class..and every1 else is just on the fone to friends..its soooooooo GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!:mad:

Nope we dont have to keep science..i wont need it for primary school teaching unless im going to teach in england..which i would never do..im stayin in the hills of donegal..;) Its not a requirement for St pats..sooooooo...since im so bad at it..no sence in keeping it..but i havent picked my leaving cert subjects im doing TY...wooooooooo

Thats unlucky i had a really really great teacher from SA she was well gas she'd slag all of the lads most the time and she generally made science class worth going to

Whats the points for a teaching course up there?

Is the projects usually done in one class??

samapp wrote:
    Is the projects usually done in one class??

Usually done in a double science class if you have one. Then you ll be given time in class to write the experiment and you finish it at home

Stev_o wrote:
    Thats unlucky i had a really really great teacher from SA she was well gas she'd slag all of the lads most the time and she generally made science class worth going to

Whats the points for a teaching course up there?

Up there?:confused: The same as down there!! 465..:( But why did you say whats the points up there? Donegal may be in the north west of ireland..but its a part of southern ireland!!:rolleyes:

Up there?:confused: The same as down there!! 465..:( But why did you say whats the points up there? Donegal may be in the north west of ireland..but its a part of southern ireland!!:rolleyes:

Iv seen points alternate in different colleges around the country so i was just wondering. 465 steep enough but do able make sure to work after doing feck all in TY ^^

Stev_o wrote:
    Iv seen points alternate in different colleges around the country so i was just wondering. 465 steep enough but do able make sure to work after doing feck all in TY ^^

Oh..ok..no i was planning on going to st pats..!!:rolleyes: Yeah 465 if high enough..but im planning on really working hard after ty..to get what i want!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Yea exactly. You cant go making one up....

He is telling us to make groups of 3 and come up with our own experiments instead of picking 2 from the departments list.......i know its weird but he said he had being using this system for the last 3 years

ciano1 wrote:
    He is telling us to make groups of 3 and come up with our own experiments instead of picking 2 from the departments list.......i know its weird but he said he had being using this system for the last 3 years

Well for a start the project thing has only been in place since Junior Cert 2006. But you cannot make up your own experiment. That really defeats the purpose.

Stev_o wrote:
    Usually done in a double science class if you have one. Then you ll be given time in class to write the experiment and you finish it at home
    So let me get this straight is the projects all writing or do you actually do it??
    like, is it you get the project and start writing or do you do the writing bit at home.

samapp wrote:
    So let me get this straight is the projects all writing or do you actually do it??
    like, is it you get the project and start writing or do you do the writing bit at home.

You will have to carry out two experiments okay?

Then after that is done you have to write up the two reports that i mentioned

That help?

And a bit of research is involved also. But it is all done in school, its written into an official State Examinations Commision booklet

And a bit of research is involved also. But it is all done in school, its written into an official State Examinations Commision booklet
    yes that helps but one last thing, is any of it done at home??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

samapp wrote:
    yes that helps but one last thing, is any of it done at home??
    that's really up to you, you're not allowed to actually bring the official booklet home but our teacher gave us a photocopy of the last years booklet which was the same, so that we could do out a first draft, we were allowed to take them home. Then in a double period we copied the first draft into the real thing. So if you want to work at home you can copy down a few of the headings in the booklet and write out your answers at home. All the experiments are done in school and the official booklet must be written up in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

Stev_o wrote: »
    So he's making you all pick off the list? You do realize that you cant do a random experiment you have to do one thats listed by the Department of Education right?

No you don't. There's a seperate Yellow booklet that you can use if you choose to do 1 project of your own choice. Very few candidates opt to do this, whether it's their own choice or the teachers choice, idk. Most ppl in my class did it, I didn't though. Don't say you can't do a random experiment if you don't know for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

<deleted> querying moderator's decision on thread.
    Please read the rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement