Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I create message boards on my website with HTLM?

Options
  • 31-08-2007 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

How would I be able create message boards on my website with HTLM codeing? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Not sure what you mean by message boards. either a forum like boards or a guest book?

Anyways here goes:
    For a guestbook you could have a look at something like http://www.smartgb.com/ or http://www.bravenet.com/webtools/guestbook/ they are 2 that were returned by a search on google

For a forum [like boards] you should have a google for vbulletin [what boards is using] or if you are looking for a free on then maybe something like PHPBB would suit.

BTW its spelt HTML and most guestbooks or forums are worked on scripts or some form be it Perl or PHP with PHP being the most common at the moment.

Hope that helps ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i would recommend SMF for bulletin board, similar to boards.ie forum, if thats what you mean.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Find out what your hosting account supports and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Htlm?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

pid() wrote:
    Htlm?

Hyper Text Markup Language - it's like a framework for holding a webpage together. However if you want an interactive element such as a bulletin board, blog or whatever you will need some sort of programming to achieve this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

XJR wrote:
    Hyper Text Markup Language - it's like a framework for holding a webpage together. However if you want an interactive element such as a bulletin board, blog or whatever you will need some sort of programming to achieve this.
    It was sarcasm :D
    Read what he said VERY slowly and carefully and it will all become clear. In fact another poster addressed this.

Anyway most of them use a SQL database. You do not need to know anything about sql or perl though. Just check with your hosting company if they support sql and find out the path to it so you can create a database. PHPBB gives you all the instructions needed but you need to be very familiar with ftp's and website making to do it right.

Its pretty easy to do. Click the link in my sig and click forum. Thats done with PHPBB and was very simple to set up, however since i started doing websites in 96 when there was no WYSIWYG i was well familiar with getting around a server. I suppose it also helps that my company hosts it :D
    And before anyone points it out, im NOT a web designer so the website is not that great. I just threw it together for my wife to get her to stop bugging me. She wanted a website.

Oh and be prepared to deal with spam. No matter what precautions you take, you will get spammed. Even boards gets spammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

XJR wrote:

Oh no, I know what HTML is. I was wondering if it was a typo or some new technology I hadn't heard of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

It is the new internetz - 5.4 beta

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Are you planning on developing this yourself? If not its probably not the correct forum...

I'd go with what kbannon said but going by your question i'm not sure how much experience you have with even htlm?

If you still want to go down this road you can download something like WAMP (google it) and then get phpbb as prev suggested. Another option is finding a hosting service that will actually have this as a pre-install option.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Art_Wolf wrote:
    It is the new internetz - 5.4 beta
    Where have you been?
    5.4 beta was replaced with 6.1 and then 6.2 which went fully live about a year ago.
    from the W3C
    6.* has moved on from traditional HTML, replacing the method of using tags and attributes to create a page with a foresighting system. With 6.* no HTML is written, instead leaving blank lines within your HTML source file and the web server will create the HTML for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey!
    If it's only a small forum or message board you are after, Mboards would do the trick and is free and fairly customisable.
    Link

Advertisement