Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming & Data Structures (COMP101000

Options
  • 31-08-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I'm an incoming BA Computer Science (DN050) student, and chose this module as one of my electives, thinking it'd be a good idea to take modules from the BSc (DN030) degree that i'd otherwise miss out on. However after looking through the BSc modules, it seems that Programming & Data Structures isn't part of their programme either. This got me wondering what course it's from, or is it offered purely as an elective?

And a second question, if anyone knows. What modules are offered to BA Comp Sci. students in later stages. On the BSc programme page it shows the different modules available each year all the way up to Stage 4. However the BA only shows the 4 core modules available in first year for some strange reason. Maybe it's undecided what modules will be given?

And another, final note.. After looking at the BSc degree, so glad I went for the BA. I hate maths, and by choosing the BA, I can theoretically do all 30 Bsc Comp Sci. modules (using my electives) without taking any of the 20 credits worth of maths they have to do... suckers :D I'l be doing German instead woop woop :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm going into third year BA Comp Sci, so I might be able to help!

Not sure of a full answer to your first question, but I know we did have something similar last year in regards to a course (I think it was Joe Kiniry's Operating Systems). I'd presume it's offered purely as an elective, but if the description interests you, go for it! You could always switch after one or two lectures if you didn't think you'd be into it.
    Just had a brief look at the description and it looks very similar to the stuff covered in Intro to Programming, so you may not benefit too much from taking both. Might be an idea to head to a few lectures of each and see if they're covering the same material, or even email the lecturer (Fintan) about it. Up to you though, obviously! The course wasn't an option when I started, so I can't say anything beyond what I see from the description.

The modules might have changed a bit, that's probably why they don't tell you core modules beyond first year. However, for what it's worth, last year there were a few BA core modules as well; Data Structures I & II and Software Engineering were the three I definitely remember. I think Discrete Maths and Databases were the other two, with a heavy recommendation (I believe this was more than a recommendation, but badly worded) to take Web Multimedia.
    As for current third year, the core modules are: Foundation of Computing, Object-Oriented Programming, Software Engineering and Operating Systems I.

Word of caution on the maths front: you can't avoid it completely. Algorithmic problem solving, while quite like solving puzzles, does have maths. As does Discrete Maths (surprise, surprise). Having taken a quick look at Computer Graphics notes also, it looks like pretty much pure maths, or at least a large chunk of the course.
    Having said that, I avoided the actual maths modules and I've been doing fine! When you get to second and third year, if you're going for a joint major, it does restrict things somewhat - you end up missing out some modules you may like to do - but, on balance, it's suited me pretty well so far :)

If you've any more questions, fire away! I'll be happy to help. Apologies if the above was too verbose, also ;)

Hope you enjoy the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

As a matter of interest Waltons, what did you think of Joe Kiniry's Operating Systems? I'm considering doing it as an elective in 2nd Electronics Engineering.

Advertisement