Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SelfSat Installation Please help..

• 01-09-2007 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have purchased a SelfSat kit when looking at the satellite regions I did not see one for Ireland,County cork,Durras . The closest city on the sheet is cork city but it is hour and a half away so I think that will be a different azimuth setting. Now in the book it says point satellite toward the south.

Here is the Ireland azimuth setting with azimuth,elevation,skew but the town she lives in has no setting what do we do then.

OK first here are my questions:

IRELAND AZIMUTH

Under cork it says 51n90, 8w46 what does this mean?

Under the satellite name it says 28.2 East what does the 28.2 mean ?

Now on the satellite dish the azimuth has no numbers on the metal piece which allows left and right movement How do I use that?

I have the compass they that came with the kit so you know and it has degrees settings .

Which would be best satellite for FTA for the region my moms home in Ireland is?

thanks for any help
    Mrcrowley

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

Mrcrowley wrote:
    I have purchased a SelfSat kit when looking at the satellite regions I did not see one for Ireland,County cork,Durras . The closest city on the sheet is cork city but it is hour and a half away so I think that will be a different azimuth setting. Now in the book it says point satellite toward the south.

Here is the Ireland azimuth setting with azimuth,elevation,skew but the town she lives in has no setting what do we do then.

OK first here are my questions:

IRELAND AZIMUTH

Under cork it says 51n90, 8w46 what does this mean?

this is the longitude and latitude intersection, your location

Mrcrowley wrote:
    Under the satellite name it says 28.2 East what does the 28.2 mean ?

this is the orbital position of the satellite, measured in degrees east or west from the Greenwich meridian. All satellites are located above the equator in an orbital position that is unique to each (or set (called hotbirding or co locating)) of satellites.
    this particular satellite carries most of the popular Free channels that people look for in the UK and here such as all the BBC, ITV, News and movie channels.

Mrcrowley wrote:
    Now on the satellite dish the azimuth has no numbers on the metal piece which allows left and right movement How do I use that?
    I have the compass they that came with the kit so you know and it has degrees settings .

the Azimuth (direction)settings are found by using a compass, the azimuth for the satellite located at 28.2East is around 136 on your compass (compass pointing South)
    Mrcrowley wrote:
    Which would be best satellite for FTA for the region my moms home in Ireland is?

28.2EAST the above mentioned satellite.

Edit:
    missed the bit about Elevation and Skew,

elevation is how far back the panel has to tilt in relation to the theoretical horizion to "look" at the satellite, in your location it is around 22.0 deg for the 28.2East satellite (note that this is in relation to a perfect vertical support)

Skew: the signals are are transmitted vertically and horizontally but they twist a bit on the way down due to the magnetic field of the Earth in addition to the planar view. so you have to tilt the panel slightly to get them to match the receiving parts of the panel. the skew angle down there is around the 25.5 deg or so this would be clock wise.

So basically mount the panel tilt it back 22 deg get your compass roughly turn the panel until it looks as if its pointing at 136 on your compass, connect the panel to a satellite receiver that is tuned for the Astra 28.2 satellite and move the panel slowly east and west and try your best to get a signal.

I am sure the guys on here know links and stuff that may help further I have seen them but cant remember where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mrcrowley

conax wrote:
    this is the longitude and latitude intersection, your location

Ok the your location I think is a problem no where doe's it say Bantry or town of durrus the closest thing is Cork which is a hour and a half away.

this is the orbital position of the satellite, measured in degrees east or west from the Greenwich meridian. All satellites are located above the equator in an orbital position that is unique to each (or set (called hotbirding or co locating)) of satellites.
    this particular satellite carries most of the popular Free channels that people look for in the UK and here such as all the BBC, ITV, News and movie channels.

the Azimuth (direction)settings are found by using a compass, the azimuth for the satellite located at 28.2East is around 136 on your compass (compass pointing South)

28.2EAST the above mentioned satellite.

Edit:
    missed the bit about Elevation and Skew,

elevation is how far back the panel has to tilt in relation to the theoretical horizion to "look" at the satellite, in your location it is around 22.0 deg for the 28.2East satellite (note that this is in relation to a perfect vertical support)
    OK I have the flat panel dish mounted on a 2 inch wood pole to give it height Do you think I would be better mounting it on a building ?

Skew: the signals are are transmitted vertically and horizontally but they twist a bit on the way down due to the magnetic field of the Earth in addition to the planar view. so you have to tilt the panel slightly to get them to match the receiving parts of the panel. the skew angle down there is around the 25.5 deg or so this would be clock wise.

So basically mount the panel tilt it back 22 deg get your compass roughly turn the panel until it looks as if its pointing at 136 on your compass, connect the panel to a satellite receiver that is tuned for the Astra 28.2 satellite and move the panel slowly east and west and try your best to get a signal.
    Ok how did you come up with 136 degrees on a compass is there a formula for this?

I am sure the guys on here know links and stuff that may help further I have seen them but cant remember where.

I think it would be great to get longitude ,latitude for my area not only for me but for other people who purchased the SelfSat kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

Mrcrowley wrote:
    Ok the your location I think is a problem no where doe's it say Bantry or town of durrus the closest thing is Cork which is a hour and a half away.

51.38 and 9.26 which gives a azimuth of 136 on the compass
    Mrcrowley wrote:
    OK I have the flat panel dish mounted on a 2 inch wood pole to give it height Do you think I would be better mounting it on a building ?

if the wood pole is sturdy, secure, vertical and not causing any obstruction, its probably fine.

Mrcrowley wrote:
    Ok how did you come up with 136 degrees on a compass is there a formula for this?

I used a link budget software programme, but there are many free calculators on the net that can do this for you.

How are you getting on with the install? and what satellite box are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mrcrowley

conax wrote:
    51.38 and 9.26 which gives a azimuth of 136 on the compass

if the wood pole is sturdy, secure, vertical and not causing any obstruction, its probably fine.

I used a link budget software programme, but there are many free calculators on the net that can do this for you.

How are you getting on with the install? and what satellite box are you using?

I am useing the DIY500H installation kit....from SelfSat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

You can get your exact longtitude and lattitude coordinates with "Google Earth"...

(1) Find your house on Google Earth, then on the menu at the top of the screen select VIEW.....then select GRID. (this will show longtitute and latitude)

(2) Or just put the curser over your house, and the bottom left hand corner of the screen will have your coordinates.

Then go to this website....
    http://www.satlex.net/en/azel_calc-p...ountry_code=ie
    enter in your co-ordinates, and it will tell you what angles directions you need to point your dish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement