Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiled oak windows

Options
  • 01-09-2007 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Trying to make final decision on windows for a new build. I have come across an option that I havent even considered that the start but like the look of. Oiled oak window dont seem to be very common window and I havent been able to find anybody with real experience of them in a house. I've heard and read that once installed and oiled reasonably frequently they will last a very long time. Would anybody be able to offer advice/opinions - How will they stand up to Irish weather if they have just an oiled finish? how will they look in a few years time, will they bleach or will they retain the original look if oiled frequently?, how frequently would they need to be oiled?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

lfcjfc wrote:
    Trying to make final decision on windows for a new build. I have come across an option that I havent even considered that the start but like the look of. Oiled oak window dont seem to be very common window and I havent been able to find anybody with real experience of them in a house. I've heard and read that once installed and oiled reasonably frequently they will last a very long time. Would anybody be able to offer advice/opinions - How will they stand up to Irish weather if they have just an oiled finish? how will they look in a few years time, will they bleach or will they retain the original look if oiled frequently?, how frequently would they need to be oiled?

Have not come across them: my comment would be that if you are building a 2 storey or higher and they require regular maintenance, access by ladder or similiar will always be required.

The other point here is the quality of both the timber used and the fabrication process.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

Advertisement