Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Did Junkyard buy the Veyron?

Options
  • 01-09-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭

I heard locally (in the pub to be precise) that the legendary Veyron is coming to Co. Cork after being disposed of by its Galwegian owner. From what I hear its new home will be in or around the environs of Glanmire.

Since this car is the subject of constant fascination here, can anyone substantiate such a rumour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

why would he sell it? he only just bought the car..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CoolGuy1

OK, the Bugatti Veyron, it'll do 252mph, has 1001 bhp and is the fastest car in the world, but more to the point, would you actually want one? I know I wouldn't, and the guy who bought the car originally in Galway has obviously decided that he doesn't want one either!

Any pictures we usually see of the Veyron are professional photographer shots that make the car look great, but I saw pictures of one for sale on eBay, and in the cold light of day, and in standard pictures taken by a standard camera, the Veyron isn't that impressive looking at all.

Sure, this car is the world's fastest, and may be for some time to come, but there are so many other cars that are much nicer looking and far more desirable. I would much prefer to have the new Aston Martin DBS for example...and at only a fraction of the Veyron's price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Who in their right mind would drive a Bugatti on the roads of western Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The guy who bought it is the millionaire owner of Cash and Carry Kitchens. He's not gonna keep it in Galway, he's gonna keep it at his holiday home in Spain.

This is all according to the local rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Driving a Veryon in Ireland is like owning a SR-71 and trying to land it at your local flying club.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A veyron on Irish roads, not happening, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

maidhc wrote:
    I heard locally (in the pub to be precise) that the legendary Veyron is coming to Co. Cork after being disposed of by its Galwegian owner. From what I hear its new home will be in or around the environs of Glanmire.

Since this car is the subject of constant fascination here, can anyone substantiate such a rumour?

Forget about all the rumours, this car was ordered by the Cork based guy and never destined for anyone in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There was an article in the Echo about it the other day. the car was purchased new by the owner of Cash and Carry kitchens, and he also owns a place in Tower Hill in Glanmire.
    I'd heard that rumour ages ago, but sure now if it's in the
    Echo it must be true. I'll be very surprised if I meet a veyron down the local shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

One passed me last week on the autobahn in Germany.It's nothing great to look at but boy was it moving.I was doing 160kph and it flew passed me, must have being doing at least 200kph!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It doesn't make much sense to me for someone to buy a new Veyron in Ireland and then ship it to Spain after such a short period of time. Surely with our VRT it would make more sense to buy it abroad in the first place with the intention of occasionally visiting Ireland in it?

BTW do they make the Veyron in rhd?

Anyway Junkyard wouldn't be caught dead in a Veyron as they are made by VW. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

JY likes VWs, just not what they are these days...

If I see a Veyron barrelling down the N25 in the overtaking lane, I'll be sure to post and let ye all know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Moanin wrote:
    One passed me last week on the autobahn in Germany. It's nothing great to look at but boy was it moving.I was doing 160kph and it flew passed me, must have being doing at least 200kph!
    200km/h is nothing to write home about in Germany .. I've frequently done that and much more when I lived there in much lesser cars than a Veyron :) But I agree with some of the other posters on this .. it'd be a totally pointless and frustrating exercise to own a car like that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Alun wrote:
    200km/h is nothing to write home about in Germany .. I've frequently done that and much more when I lived there in much lesser cars than a Veyron :)
    Agreed, i've been overtaken by MPVs doing 200!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anan1 wrote:
    Agreed, i've been overtaken by MPVs doing 200!

Recently? Might well have been me in the Rental VW Multivan.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

CoolGuy1 wrote:
    the guy who bought the car originally in Galway has obviously decided that he doesn't want one either!

Obviously?? Where did you hear this?
    CoolGuy1 wrote:
    Any pictures we usually see of the Veyron are professional photographer shots that make the car look great, but I saw pictures of one for sale on eBay, and in the cold light of day, and in standard pictures taken by a standard camera, the Veyron isn't that impressive looking at all.

Well I saw a real one right in front of me and I thought it was impressive looking. Defenitely more impressive in the metal than any pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Alun wrote:
    200km/h is nothing to write home about in Germany .. I've frequently done that and much more when I lived there in much lesser cars than a Veyron :) But I agree with some of the other posters on this .. it'd be a totally pointless and frustrating exercise to own a car like that in Ireland.

Arent a substantial number of the Autobahns now in Germany limited?
    Apparantly it was 1/3 rd a few years ago, but now its something like 60%, isn't it?
    I know in the Cologne area they are all limited to 120-130 km/h(between 6 in the morning and 7 in the evening, outside of these times theres no limit).

Anyway, whether they are or they're not, the EU wants them all to have a speed limit(and some German politicans like the Greens want a blanket speed limit of 130km/h on all of them, and have promised to introduce them if elected to Government, even some of the Conservative Politicians want there to be more speed limits there), so 2010 looks like being the first year that they will all be limited, inspite of Angela Merkels best efforts(she says that enough of them have a limit as it is, and has vowed not to introduce anymore speed limits on to them, but she might be forced to by the EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

done 230kmh in an overtake once on the portlaoise bypass, looked at the clock and nearly shat myself, wasn't proud, foolish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

After seeing the car in the park I was so underwhelmed by it... If I had the money I wouldn't get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cornbb wrote:
    The guy who bought it is the millionaire owner of Cash and Carry Kitchens. He's not gonna keep it in Galway, he's gonna keep it at his holiday home in Spain.

This is all according to the local rag.

Why would the guy be sp stupid to vrt it here and then bring it to
    spain.He must be a muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When your dealing in 7 figure sums for a car, VRT probably isnt really an issue to you.

Or most of the stuff on this thread is rubbishy untrue hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    When your dealing in 7 figure sums for a car, VRT probably isnt really an issue to you.

Yes but these guys who earned their millions to afford such cars didn't earn it by foolishly throwing it away.

They may be rich but not stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

drdre wrote:

There isn't a rolleyes smiley big enough to convey my thoughts upon reading the above.

I second the post that alluded to hearsay. If people know nothing, then they should say nothing...

Bono's comments with regard to Irish begrudgery are sadly as valid as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The wife just call me she has spotted a 07 D Veron on the N4 around Lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes but these guys who earned their millions to afford such cars didn't earn it by foolishly throwing it away.

They may be rich but not stupid.

Truer word were never spoken. Usually they'll haggle over a price of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

endplate wrote:
    The wife just call me she has spotted a 07 D Veron on the N4 around Lucan

A well conditioned wife you got there :D
    (mine wouldn't know a Veyron from a Micra)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

she get the reg? what colour combo was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

peasant wrote:
    A well conditioned wife you got there :D
    (mine wouldn't know a Veyron from a Micra)

But I'll bet she'd know the colour :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AMV8

drdre wrote:

Guys,

I know both Niall Cunningham who sold the car and I also know the owner of the car as both a friend and a work colleague. He has been a fanatical car enthusiast all his life and bought the Veyron because he felt, as Clarkson said the Veyron is the Concorde of the car world. It probably will not be surpassed.

To clear up a few points before the story gets even more legs.

1) The car is going to Spain. The car has been in storage in Galway since the Phoenix Park races and is has NOT been registered. Therefore as the VRT hasn't been paid the owner doesn't loose any money when he sends it to Spain.

2) The colour combination is Dark Silver and Blue Black. Depending on the light the dark colour appears either black or a navy blue, hence the name.

3) If there was a 07 D Veyron in Lucan it wasn't his one !!

I hope this clears up some of the confusion about whether he's a muppet or not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

She said it turned up towards Superquinn but she's just seen a pic of the Veryon and she's having doubts that it's the infamous Veyron. She said it looked like a supercar with a large B but without the backwards E any ideas what it is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AMV8

endplate wrote:
    She said it turned up towards Superquinn but she's just seen a pic of the Veryon and she's having doubts that it's the infamous Veyron. She said it looked like a supercar with a large B but without the backwards E any ideas what it is?

Quite possible a Bentley Continental GT, although the "B" isn't particularly big on the badge. Can't think of anything else that might look like a "supercar" ??

Advertisement