Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup 3rd round draw

• 01-09-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Full Carling Cup third round draw:

Blackburn v Birmingham

Reading v Liverpool

Manchester United v Coventry

Tottenham v Middlesbrough

Hull City v Chelsea

Blackpool v Southend

West Ham v Plymouth

Arsenal v Newcastle

Luton v Charlton

Manchester City v Norwich

Sheffield United v Morecambe

Sheffield Wednesday v Everton

Fulham v Bolton

Burnley v Portsmouth

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest or Leicester City

West Brom v Cardiff City

Arsenal away, oh joy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reading away????? Early exit beckons again.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

uniteds season ticket holders got the draw they didnt want....a home league cup game. queue the first installment on the "cup scheme" !.

some really interesting games there, but the big teams wil as usual rest players, with the likes of newcastle/city/villa/maybe even spurs going all out to win it to get some silverware in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Arsenal youth verses Newcastle.
    That should be an interesting contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

whats the "cup scheme" ?? anyone know where i can find what games are on tuesday and what games are on wed.... my mate is a coventry fan so we're looking to go to old trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ditpoker wrote:
    whats the "cup scheme" ??
    A complete rip off imo.

In previous years Season Ticket holders of Manchester were allowed to buy cup tickets if they wanted.

Now though, season ticket holders must buy cup tickets too, at more cost to them. The Glazers paying off their debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Reina

Arbeloa--Hypia--Agger--Insua
    Benayoun--Lucas----Kewell--
    Sissoko

Crouch--Voronin

definately good enough to win the Carling Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

so hypothetically,you meet chelsea in the final and you would be confident that a team containing peter crouch,and having sami hypia in defence would win? really..

that team ''could'' win, most definately.

if we wanted though, we could aways bring . . Gerrard,Alonso,Mascherano,Finnan,Agger,Carragher,babel, Kuyt or Torres into the equation at that late stage though! :)

out of pure nit picking i must point out you have included Agger in both your team that could win and your guys that you could bring in at a later stage lol,

personally im hoping united play anderson and nani as much as possible in these games as they will help acclimatise them to english football,im realy excited about anderson, i think in the next few years he can turn into a fantastic buy for the club, and nani will do a good job too with a bit more experience of english football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

uniteds season ticket holders got the draw they didnt want....a home league cup game. queue the first installment on the "cup scheme" !.

some really interesting games there, but the big teams wil as usual rest players, with the likes of newcastle/city/villa/maybe even spurs going all out to win it to get some silverware in the bag.

2 of my friends have season tickets for old trafford and their credit card was debited 38 quid sterling today each a ticket for united v coventry
    the auto cup scheme is going to fleece united suporters

• Advertisement

ditpoker wrote:
    whats the "cup scheme" ?? anyone know where i can find what games are on tuesday and what games are on wed.... my mate is a coventry fan so we're looking to go to old trafford.

The cup scheme introduced at united has been introduced at United this season
    Any season ticket holder had to agree to buy a ticket for every home cup game United get to play at Old trafford this season
    There is outrage amongst supporters over it , even if they dont go to the cup match they still have to cough up the price of the ticket
    As you can imagine if United get many home draws in the cup the cost of the season ticket will increase even more for the supporters, so most season ticket holders are praying united get drawn away in the cups.

No date confirmed yet for the Coventry game, tickets wont be a problem to get hold of, they will go on general sale and you will be able to get them online from united website and collect them before the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Damn thats a pretty sucky deal for season ticket holders, they i sincerely hope that 38 quid is a decent discount, regardless thats bollocks! Wonder how many season ticket holders want their team to do well in the cups this season. Does it include games in Europe?

im not sure if it includes european games, i imagine its just domestic competition though..

kryogen wrote:
    im not sure if it includes european games, i imagine its just domestic competition though..

All european games at Old trafford are included in the automatic scheme also, the fans will be robbed, plus United increase the cost of a season ticket anyway.Lots of supporters who have had season tickets for years gave them up at the start of this season
    It aint that hard to get tickets for United these days ,except for games v chelsea liverpool which are hard to get.
    So far tickets for Uniteds premierships matches at home this season have gone on general sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mike65 wrote:
    Reading away????? Early exit beckons again.

Mike.
    I'm looking forward to see how Jack Hobbs fairs should he get a chance. Liverpool have a big squad now, and Reading didnt take the cups too seriously last year so ya never know.

Re United, this will be a chance for Nani and Anderson to shine. Eagles, Fletcher and Gibson will probably play too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'll be interested to see how Arsenal line up against Newcastle. There are so many different permutations that Wenger could go with.

- Goalkeeper could be anyone - if Almunia is still #1 it might be Lehmann, it might be Fabianski, or it could be back to Almunia.
    - RB will be either Eboue or Hoyte.
    - CBs will probably be Senderos and Nordveit. Gallas or Toure if Senderos is suspended.
    - LB will be Traore.
    - CMs will probably be Diarra and Denilson
    - LM will probably be Diaby.
    - RM will be Walcott or Eboue.
    - CFs will be two of Bendtner, Eduardo and Walcott.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

that team ''could'' win, most definately.

if we wanted though, we could aways bring . . Gerrard,Alonso,Mascherano,Finnan,Agger,Carragher,babel, Kuyt or Torres into the equation at that late stage though! :)
    The exact opposite of what Wenger did for Arsenal last season?
    There was a youthful team who made it to the final. Did Wenger replace them when Chelsea came knocking? Nope. Some say he should have because the 1st team would have stood a better chance of winning the match but IMO he was right to stand by the youngsters (even though they lost) because they earned their places in the final. Replacing them would be an insult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Brum, not too bad, Hopefully we can take em out of it cleanly :)

Galvasean wrote:
    The exact opposite of what Wenger did for Arsenal last season?
    There was a youthful team who made it to the final. Did Wenger replace them when Chelsea came knocking? Nope. Some say he should have because the 1st team would have stood a better chance of winning the match but IMO he was right to stand by the youngsters (even though they lost) because they earned their places in the final. Replacing them would be an insult.

The point was more to outline the strenght of squad that Liverpool have now. And Just cause Wenger went a different route, means fcuk all to me, if Rafa wanted to field his strongest team for the final, he'd be dead right to do that.

Personally think he'll mix experience and youth throughout the whole tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Arsenal and Newcastle are playing yet Sky will be showing Hull v Chelsea. Where is the sense in that. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The point was more to outline the strenght of squad that Liverpool have now. And Just cause Wenger went a different route, means fcuk all to me, if Rafa wanted to field his strongest team for the final, he'd be dead right to do that.

Personally think he'll mix experience and youth throughout the whole tournament.

I think you're probably right about the mix he will use. But I don't think we will see "the whole" tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Arsenal and Newcastle are playing yet Sky will be showing Hull v Chelsea. Where is the sense in that. Madness.

Thats fcukin madness!!! Stupid sky! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mossy Monk wrote:

I think a Giant killing is on the cards and Sky want to be in there from the ground up!

Advertisement