Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softish tyre/tube combo for a Sirrus ?

Options
  • 01-09-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I wanted to get softer tyres for my sirrus . I've no idea what to look for ,they don't necessarily have to be puncture proof .

I get pins and needles on long cycles ,I always end up resting my hands on the handlebars.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Any suggestions ? ,I wanted to get yellow tyres .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I get pins and needles on long cycles
    Do you have padded gloves? Do you change your hand position?
    I always end up resting my hands on the handlebars.
    hands on handlebars? Where else would you be putting them? :p

I knew that sounded silly ,but I didn't want to get too fussy in my post.

When I say resting my hands ,I mean the palm of my hand is sitting on the edge of the handlebar. Or I have to rest my wrists on the bars.

I used gloves before ,it didn't seem to make any difference.
    It doesn't happen on my mountain bike ,so I presume it's because of the hard tyres on the sirrus:(

Thanks for the reply.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

For speed, safety and resistance to punctures it is best to keep the tyres pumped good and hard.
    The issue could be that you are putting a lot of weight on your hands/wrists, which could be the result of inappropriate setup e.g. handlebars too low.

Maybe the place you purchased the bike will help you with setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

You should go to Cycleways on Parnell St and make sure that the bike is the right size for you.

If it is too big they could change the stem for you which might help reduce the pressure on your hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Get bar-ends which will give you another hand position; being able to vary your hand position will definately help on long cycles.

Wider tyres can be run at a lower pressure and do have more of a cushioning effect but I don't know that this is necessarily your problem. (And they will be slower which may be frustrating for the longer cycles.) Note you could just stick a wider tyre on the front- what size are your current tyres (700x28?)

My Sirrus will go up to 700x35, but only without mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I cut down my handlebars to reduce width, mine also have really soft grips. I also changed the brake lever postion. I would get your MTB side by side and see if there are any small adjustments you need to make, a small change can make a huge difference. I also have a suspension seatpost and gel saddle.

Thanks for all the replies ,I will check out the height of the bars and see if thats the problem.
    Both bikes are the same size ,specialized medium. I think it's 17inch or something.

Now that I think of it ,my mountain bike is set up very low ,more for casual use. I will do the same for the sirrus ,

Cheers ,
    Brian.

Advertisement