Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Laois?

Options
  • 01-09-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

My and my OH want to get away from Dublin for a day or two, might bus it to laois. Just wondering if anybody can suggest any interesting activities or places to visit while we're down there?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

When you get their, get a bus to Kilkenny. No offence to Laois. I love the place. I just think if your busing it down, Kilkenny has a lot more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i'm sure theres lots to do but i can't think of anything.

normally there are decent giigs in skyvenue on fridays. there might be something worth checking out in the dunamaise theatre. apart from that i can't think of anything else to do except go to the pub for a few quiet ones and sure you could do that in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Emo House is pretty cool if you do a tour and if it's a nice day...I'd avoid the 'Garden Festival' though, it's pants!

OP is getting the bus to laois. Getting to Emo court and other laois attractions will be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

You'll be able to bus it to Laois alright...but then you'll be spat out of the bus and left to fend for yourself. If you can get around, you could go to the Rock of Dunamaise near Stradbally(admittedly not very exciting but free), catch a show in Dunamaise Theatre in Portlaoise, there's Dove Sensory Gardens in Abbeyleix(also free), have a look at Emo Court but skip the garden festival, paintballing in Supershot in Stradbally(better with a crowd), fishing, bowling, horse riding and what we do best....drinking.

Go to Morrisseys in Abbeyleix. One of the oldest pubs around, they still wear the white butcher coats behind the bar and sell boiled sweets from the jar. You could go for a look at Castle Durrow then. You can walk in the Slieve Bloom mountains and theres a little steam museum in Stradbally.

But all in all, you won't see very much if you get a bus.

• Advertisement

Philthy wrote:
    Go to Morrisseys in Abbeyleix.

Highly recommneded, best pub in Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

There's one thing about SkyVenue. There're decent gigs, that's right. The problem is, there's hardly no audience at all. Apart from few bartenders and band's friends. Unfortunately.

Besides, I really can't think of anything worth seeing, doing in Portlaoise...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Cheers for the replies, but ended up goin to Kildare, sorry folks :p Japanese Gardens were great though.

Are there good cycling trails in Laois though? I think I was reading about a few in the hills, may go back down soon for a cycle if it's nice. And that pub sounds great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Follow the Laois Heritage Trail, the council have put up these signposts all around the county and some of the stuff there is class - That Museum in Attanagh nr Durrow has some pretty interesting old stuff. Heywood Gardens are nice too.

Advertisement