Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else liking the "silverback" at the minute

• 01-09-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weeks i've found myself liking mark henry as the silverback...
    Maybe its just the undertaker promo's that have been showning up during his ones but the one he did this week wasn't half bad

anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

ec18 wrote:
    Over the last few weeks i've found myself liking mark henry as the silverback...
    Maybe its just the undertaker promo's that have been showning up during his ones but the one he did this week wasn't half bad

anyone else?

well enjoy it while you can I don`t think he is going to resign his contract so he may be gone soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

It was very fashionable there a while back to knock Mark Henry, but I have always found him entertaining. Sure, he isn't the fastest nor the most agile man of his size. But he looks scary when he gets going. The silverback thing works well because it fits so neatly with his look and his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

woooo232 wrote:
    well enjoy it while you can I don`t think he is going to resign his contract so he may be gone soon

Whens the contract expire?

I wonder is TNA calling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

ec18 wrote:

anyone else?

I was always a mark henry fan. He is fecking brilliant. I enjoy watching him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Haven't watched WWE in a long time but out of interest, whats the "Silverback" gimmick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

ec18 wrote:
    Whens the contract expire?

I wonder is TNA calling?

January i believe, his ten year deal ended in 2006 but was extended to one year, and then a further year after that.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ill be glad when hes gone tbh, i honestly cant remember a good match hes ever been in,hes never been over aside from when he was with china briefly and watching him waddle down to the ring every week is boring as hell, the guys had more wasted pushes than bob holly and test combined,good riddance i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

never liked him he's a good strongman, but he was an impulse buy by Vince after the olympics especially on a 10year contract they should have given him 2 years first to see how it would go.

He has mostly been paid for nothing during those 10 years, he's sitting pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

They have definitely used him better over the last 2 years and he's played the role effectively. I'd never go out of my way to watch him but the guy does have a charisma about him.

He was also, from what I can remember, the only wrestler from the WWE to come out and talk openly about the problems in wrestling instead of telling the media that all is wonderful in the wrestling world. He went up in my mind after doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's not the worst big man by any means but he's always struck me as the Kieron Dyer of pro wrestling with the amount of injuries he gets.

• Advertisement

He's not the worst big man by any means but he's always struck me as the Kieron Dyer of pro wrestling with the amount of injuries he gets.

not to mention injuring others

krudler wrote:
    not to mention injuring others

Exactly who did he injure? Please don't say Batista, Angle and Benoit in 2006 as they were all kayfabed. Batistas injury was nagging him for months before that as was Angles neck injury thats been nagging him forever and he needed time out. Benoit needed time out for personal reasons, and well... we all know what happened there.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wasn't a fan of Mark Henry until sometime in the last year, I forget when exactly, but I just "got" his gimmick and I saw how good he was. I was annoyed that he was so slow, but that's part of what makes him good. He takes his time torturing his opponents because he can. And like Vince said, he deserves some respect for not lying like practically every other WWE guy who's talked to the media recently

The Wrestling Observer reports that Mark Henry has signed a new contract that was too good to turn down, so he won't be leaving anytime soon. Woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Wasn't Henry on a massive contract already?? I'm still not sold on him yet but I would like to see him against edge

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I can't say I like Henry at all really. Sure, he's alright on the mic but he lets himself down big time in the ring.
    fozzy wrote:
    He takes his time torturing his opponents because he can
    Thats because he cant go any faster even if his life depended on it.
    In my mind, Henry is one of the reasons why I haven't been watching SD for the last month. He just bores me. Same ol' song and dance every week. 'i'm the silverback!.....yada, yada, yada' and then he proceeds to crush someone. Boring! Oh and another thing that really annoys me about the guy is how much he let himself go. I always knew he was big but I was watching Royal Rumble '98 there a while back and I couldn't believe my eyes. He was almost half the size he is now! He was moving around the ring pretty well too!
    Anyways to summarise, Henry=boring.

Yeah, I still remember watching the strongest man finals just before Henry signed for the WWE and he was miles ahead on points but the last round invovlved running and he got absolutely smoked by some swedish guy. Hilarious

Thats because he cant go any faster even if his life depended on it.

He speeds up a lot during matches at times. He's certainly not the slowest guy around. I've heard people claim that he's not agile either, but he used to be able to do full splits, not sure about now
    Oh and another thing that really annoys me about the guy is how much he let himself go. I always knew he was big but I was watching Royal Rumble '98 there a while back and I couldn't believe my eyes. He was almost half the size he is now! He was moving around the ring pretty well too!

Mark Henry has always been big. He weighed something like 215lbs when he was 10 years old. He spent years of his life training to be big and strong and he was one of the heaviest guys to ever enter the Olympics. It wasn't fat he was carrying. Then WWE got him to lose a load of weight, and I don't really think that he was comfortable with that. Spending so many years of your life to achieve something, and then you're asked to get rid of it. He's not as heavy now as he was when he wasn't a wrestler, but I think he's still in great shape. Compare him to someone like Viscera, Viscera is taller and heavier, but there's a huge difference in their body types. Henry is not in bad shape by any stretch of the imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

henry was never in the worlds strongest man competition, the arnold classic in 2002 was the first high profile strongman competition he took part in.

have to say, i can't stand him as a performer, silverback or not!

He was in that one with the swedish chap. Used to be on channel 4

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote:
    Wasn't Henry on a massive contract already?? I'm still not sold on him yet but I would like to see him against edge

No he wasn't, as I already pointed out, his 10 year deal ran out, he had 2 one year contracts after that and now theres this "too good to refuse" contract.

One word to sum up Mizark, is lucky. Top guys either get injured or suspended whenever his contract is about to expire! :)

VR!

not time wise, money wise. Fozzy said an offer too good to refuse so I'm wondering how much he's on

crap,thought we'd nearly gotten rid of him, hoe many more months or years of mizark waddling his way to the ring with no heat whatsover,injuring people,injuring himself, waste of time and money that guy is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

silverback.jpg

It's spot on as a gimmick, alittle racist though haha

Nah he's a waste of space

The monster thing is done to death then killed again in WWE and not just one at a time

Umaga
    Big Daddy V
    Snitsky
    Khali
    Henry

And probably a few more

krudler wrote:
    crap,thought we'd nearly gotten rid of him, hoe many more months or years of mizark waddling his way to the ring with no heat whatsover,injuring people,injuring himself, waste of time and money that guy is

Who has he injured? You've already avoided that question once already!
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

EdK wrote:
    The monster thing is done to death then killed again in WWE and not just one at a time

Umaga
    Big Daddy V
    Snitsky
    Khali
    Henry

And probably a few more
    But Henry is the World's Strongest Man!:cool:

But seriously, he is more believable than a lot of other 'monsters' because he was known as a strong-man before he was a wrestler. Thats why he can get away with winning matches with moves like the bearhug and the full nelson.

Advertisement