Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European HD-DVD add on, now comes with 5 HD-DVDS !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You're wrong mate.. both component and vga can output 1080p, however not all TVs will accept a 1080p signal over analog connections. So there is very very few TVs that accept 1080p over component, but quite a few that accept it over VGA.

The 360 can and does output 1080p over VGA, whether your TV accepts it will determine whether you can view it, not the VGA connection itself.

too true...my philips 37" lcd only outputs high-def through the hdmi connecton..won't do it through the vga or component

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I think VGA to HDMI converters are really expensive.. could always get cheap VGA -> DVI and then DVI -> HDMI.. unless you've sorted a solution yourself already

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just got the drive and sent off the the DVD's :D

Also Just found out that My TV only does 1080i over Component But 1080p over VGA so I''m getting my VGA Cable sent down from home ASAP ;).

Also was in HMV today lookin @ HD-DVD's for a laugh.
    Riddick was €47 :eek:
    So by that standard I'm saving money by buying the HD-DVD player......

Happy days

Mik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Inquitus wrote: »
    1280 x 1024 @ 60 is the max resolution of a signal carried over a VGA Adapter, and is a long way short of Full HD, only DVI, Component or HDMI can carry a full HD Signal.

Component however as it is an analogue signal and not HDCP compliant will only play not HDCP HD Content, however as Upscaling a DVD does not require HDCP compliance it would be silly for an XBox 360 to not upscale over component, and as such it will upscale a normal dvd to 1080i over component.

Inqui

As other people noted above, that is complete and utter nonsense, PC's have for years output at far higher resolutions and refresh rates than that. What can be sent over a VGA cable is based on the speed of the RAMDAC on the output device (usually 400mhz which allows a 2560*1600 signal). In fact, VGA can carry more than a single link DVI link, which most graphics card had up till a year ago.

On HDCP, is any content at all using this? I've yet to hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 steprime

Has anyone received the 5 free HD-DVD`s yet?

i`m still waiting on mine....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I bought the HD-DVD player on Saturday in Gamestop and they had a load of the forms for the free HD-DVDs on the counter, so I guess it's more or less official if they're handing out the forms here......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Does the HD player make as much noise as the XBOX does when playing movies? It's a little off-putting for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Apparently it's not as noisy, but a tip is to make sure you don't have a game disc in the xbox when you're watching a HD-DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I didn't notice TBH - I had 5.1 sound blaring at the time though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

As great as the XBOX is for games, it's hard to knock the PS3 when it comes to playing movies (quieter and less hassle).

• Advertisement

My 5 HD DVD`s arrived today so that confirms that

**THE OFFER IS VALID FOR IRELAND**:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

steprime wrote: »
    My 5 HD DVD`s arrived today so that confirms that

**THE OFFER IS VALID FOR IRELAND**:)
    Lovely, thanks for letting us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

how long it take it total can ya remember?

and did you get the films you asked for? i heard the most popular ones are gone already.. or atleast they come in waves..

It took 3 weeks and I got the ones I asked for:

The Hulk
    Serenity
    The Prestige
    Troy
    World Trade centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

cool, thanks for confirming. cant wait to get mine. i think serenity is a must from the list :D:D:D

Serentity is the only one i`ve watched so far and it looks amazing!!

You should order a copy of Transformers too from playusa:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Virgin finally got some. I shall be picking up Harry Potter 5 (30e) and Planet Earth (54e)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'd advise riddick it looks outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

chrislad wrote: »
    Virgin finally got some. I shall be picking up Harry Potter 5 (30e) and Planet Earth (54e)

Planet earth in HD, savage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

ALS wrote: »
    Got e-mail confirmation today from Microsoft that this deal is open to Ireland also. . . .happy days

Dear Customer,

This offer is valid for Ireland.

Sincerely,
    5 Free HD DVD Promotions Team

:)

Good news but where do we go to buy the drive and get the movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

sean,i dont have the drive but my understanding is that you buy the drive anywhere,get the code from it,and you can download an application form on one of the links in this thread.when you quote the code and send the form away they send you the 5 dvds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭ALS

€159 in Gamestop seems to be the best value around inc xbox remote control which retails on its own for €30 these were not included in the early hd players so just check before you hand over your hard earned moolah.
    application form available here
    http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hd-dvd/default.htm

In order to get the free HD-DVDs I peeled the sticker with the barcode on it and stuck it on some cardboard and sent it along with the receipt and form to the english address.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyone try ordering these without the receipt?
    Lost mine and really wanted to see Serenity on high-def:o

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Ya wondering that too, just bought the drive from a friend, only bought it 3 weeks ago but lost the receipt, he never got the films, thought it was uk only.

I don't suppose anyone here knows someone in gamestop that could reprint a receipt? :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got my DVD's yesterday :)
    Just a bit over 2 weeks - not too shabby @ all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Got my DVD's yesterday :)
    Just a bit over 2 weeks - not too shabby @ all

still waiting for mine. Sent form 2-3 weeks ago.:( I bought my hdplayer in gamestop. Just wondering, my hdplayer was second hand. The guy in the shop said the guy that bought it in only had it a week. I photo copied the receipt (it actually came out big, like a4) and blocked off the "used" printed on receipt. Hope I get them! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Got my hd dvd's today took exactly 3weeks to the day
    Also got the 5 hd dvd's i applied for so happy about that too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Got mine today....at last!:D took a month I'd say. Calculated up the cost of my dvds on play.com, e145! Not bad at all considering I just paid e119 for my player:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

sent mine the 19th, still waiting :( cant wait to get serenity. hope its still in stock

Advertisement