Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European HD-DVD add on, now comes with 5 HD-DVDS !!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i sent mine off back in november not a sign or anything . . . getting a little worried at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

AntiRip wrote: »
    Got mine today....at last!:D took a month I'd say. Calculated up the cost of my dvds on play.com, e145! Not bad at all considering I just paid e119 for my player:D

119??? Where did you get it that cheap man? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

i sent mine off back in november not a sign or anything . . . getting a little worried at this stage
    Same here - hopefully it's just a Christmas delay and we'll get them in the New Year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

What form did we all use to order the HD DVD's ?, I have :

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/04D35729-1F6E-476A-B675-CC0471E703D7/0/Xbox360_HDDVDOffer_EN.pdf

But it looks very UK based with the postcode etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think that is the form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Am i right in thinking i've until the end of january to buy the drive and avail of this offer? Whats the cheapest current offer people have seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Yep, end of Jan.

I'm spending a fortune buying HD-DVD's in Amazons buy one get one free offer. If you want to be sure you avoid customs you can order two disks at a time. Works out a bout €10 a disk delivered.

Not bad when you see the extortionist prices the high street shops are charging here. :mad:

Unfortunately if your looking now, alot of the titles are gone but there are still some good ones left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

How long does it take? Sent my form yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ordered quite a few from the states via ebay... Got Top Gun, The Bourne Supremecy, 12 monkeys, Training Day and a few others for something like 100 euro in total. Got it sent in 3 different parcels.

How long does it take? Sent my form yesterday

Someone on an earlier post said 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I got my hd dvd drive in december 06, can i get the free movies..??

Drives bought before the 01/10/2007 dont apply to this offer. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Any tips on which 5 dvds to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Any tips on which 5 dvds to get?
    Yeah:

Group A: Serenity, Children Of Men
    Group B: The Prestige, Full Metal Jacket
    Group C: Black Rain

I sent off my form at the end of November and I still haven't got anything :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Took 5 weeks for mine to arrive,worth it for serenity imo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Think I sent mine away new years day. Prolly wont see them for another 3 weeks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

IamBeowulf wrote: »
    119??? Where did you get it that cheap man? :)

Bought it in Gamestop second hand. Some kid brought it back after a week, it was basically new. Still got the dvds thought :)

TBH, the news all over the net at the moment about Blu Ray winning over the studios have me worried at the moment. There mightn't be much life left in HD-DVD :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

Think I sent mine away new years day. Prolly wont see them for another 3 weeks :rolleyes:

I sent mine off around mid December. Just got this mail yesterday:

Dear Customer,

Order Reference Number: *****

We are pleased to advise you that we are back in stock of the HD DVDs that you have requested. Your order will be dispatched within the next 2 to 3 days.

Thank you for you patience

Yours Sincerely,
    5 Free HD DVD Promotions Team

Nice one. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

AntiRip wrote: »
    TBH, the news all over the net at the moment about Blu Ray winning over the studios have me worried at the moment. There mightn't be much life left in HD-DVD :mad:

i dunno, sounds like it's not going to go down without a fight anyway. there have been big price drops in player costs, and amazon have a pretty amazing sale on at the moment. s'not over yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/ces-aftermath-t.html
    For the first time since last week's CES conference, HD DVD supporter Toshiba has gone on the offensive, this time by slashing the prices of its main HD DVD players.

Effective yesterday, Toshiba's high quality HD-A3 is $150, the HD-A30 (with 1080p output) moves down to $200, and the top of the line HD-A35 is now $300. A couple of these players were offered at similar prices in internet holiday deals, and this formal price setting will force retailers to move them even lower. For example, Amazon has already priced the HD-A3 at $131.98, which is a good bargain if you don't mind investing that amount in a format that many now consider doomed.

Toshiba_hd_dvdToshiba will also set up a new marketing effort to combat the negative, second-place perception that has set in since last week's Warner-Blu-ray contract. A lot of the advertising is supposed to follow the bargain-basement strategy of the current "Perfect HD Offer," a mail-in offer where the consumer receives 5 free HD DVDs with any purchase of a Toshiba player. We think that free is beautiful, but the HD DVD camp still needs to come up with something more substantial than a few coupons.

Hurray - I alos got the email :
    Dear Customer,

Order Reference Number: ****

We are pleased to advise you that we are back in stock of the HD DVDs that you have requested. Your order will be dispatched within the next 2 to 3 days.

Thank you for you patience

Yours Sincerely,
    5 Free HD DVD Promotions Team

I had just about given up on them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Mine just arrived, sent off around 15th of December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player sales up at Amazon

Sales for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 HD DVD Player increased on Tues. at Amazon.com following a spur in HD DVD retail movement this week.

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player sales increased 151 percent to hold the No. 92 sales rank in the Video Games division.

In addition, this week Amazon price cut more than 80 HD DVD titles to as low as $14.99.

Toshiba Corp. this week price cut all HD DVD Player models. The lowest-price model now carries an MSRP of $149.99.

The HD DVD format lost momentum last week when Warner Bros. announced that it will defect and produce new high-definition titles on Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray disc format exclusively.

Warner Bros. previously sold high-definition content for both Blu-ray and HD DVD.

The move was a coup for Sony's Blu-ray disc, in which titles outsell HD DVD at U.S. retail by 2-to-1.

Sony last week announced that the Playstation 3, which includes a Blu-ray disc drive, sold 1.2 million units in the U.S. during the holiday season. The hardware has sold nearly three million units in the U.S. to date.

This week, Amazon price cut Blu-ray disc titles to as low as $14.99 to spur sales on the other high-definition camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

VIVA LA HD-DVD!!!

As someone who never bought DVD's before. I am on about 30 HD-DVD's and counting. I just love the no region coding and the picture quality. Ordering from amazon.com , saves me a fortune. I have yet to buy a HD-DVD here.

Shame on the likes of Virgin and HMV charging ~€40 for a movie :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

I hate to burst your bubble but HD-DVD is finished, they lost the format war, this will result in very few movies on that format after 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

rkeane wrote: »
    I hate to burst your bubble but HD-DVD is finished, they lost the format war, this will result in very few movies on that format after 2008.

I hate to burst your bubble but the new film formats (Blu-ray or HD-DVD) will be ultimately eclipsed by downloadable movies. Yesterday, Apple launched a huge movie rental service in the US. Two weeks ago LG and Netflix (the US version of Screenclick) revealed plans for DVD players which will connect straight to the net and download movies to your tv sans a computer. And Microsoft are already rolling out their own service via Xbox Live. We just need faster speeds.

Long live the net or bring back betamax!

"We just need faster speeds." We will be waiting years before we get affordable broadband capable of downloading movies quickly. In the meantime, Blue-Ray has won out...Micro$oft and Toshiba were defeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Irish Broadband rolled out a 12Mb connection today. And Microsoft never really backed HD-DVD 100%. They see downloading movies as the way they want people access such media.

• Advertisement

Well it will take a lot more than Irish Broadband (who are a disgrace of a company btw) to offer those kind of speeds. The main fixed line players need to offer high speed, no cap at a reasonable price...otherwise digital movie downloads won't happen in this country. Whatever you think, the format for High Def in this country is going to be Blue-ray..until we get a proper broadband service.

Advertisement