Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European HD-DVD add on, now comes with 5 HD-DVDS !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

HD-DVD is definitely not dead. Very vulnerable right now ... yes.

Some things to consider. HD-DVD is from the DVD group they have some advantages that blu-ray do not. Firstly, cost aside they could release twin disks. 1 layer 4gig SD DVD and 2 30Gb layers HD DVD. It would certainly be more costly but they Toshiba might eat the cost. Its a $40 billion dollar industry they don't want to loose.

If Universal, Paramount or Dreamworks were willing to only release new titles in this format, along with $99 players, blu-ray would die overnight.

So to say HD-DVD is dead is wrong. This is one scenario. I do agree though that the Warner blu-ray exclusivity is a big loss to the HD-DVD group. THey need to really pull a rabbit out of their hat to survive.

I'm still buying disks though. I really believe its the format of the consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

silvine wrote: »
    Irish Broadband rolled out a 12Mb connection today. .

That sounds interesting. have you a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lol

**** that then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It's pretty pricey I'll admit but at least we're starting to see some faster speeds coming onto the market. This time next year I'm sure it will be more affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Anyone who believes that HD-DVD has a future is deluded, Blu-Ray has won this spat hands down. HD-DVD's contract with some of the their backers is up in May......get ready to see them run to the blu-ray camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Slightly ot but has anyone had any issues with HD-DVDs? I only really bought the add on for the 5 free dvds and the couple of HD-DVD exclusives. I got the matrix trilogy with it and I have to say,it's fairly appaling. The first day I didnt have it hooked up to my amp so assumed the crappy sound was a tv issoe (although the tv sound is very good on everythng else,including 360 games) but even when the sound is run through my amp its terrible. Sounds really tinny and doesnt match up 100%

Pitcure quality isnt up to the standard of Blu-ray on the Ps3.

I'm assuming the add on is just a poor quality HD-DVD player. Anyone else been less than impressed?

The sound issue isnt the amp either because both games and movies on my PS3 , games on my 360 & Wii and through my dvd players are all great.

As I said,it was only bought as a back up to Blu-ray but i expected more.

rkeane wrote: »
    Anyone who believes that HD-DVD has a future is deluded, Blu-Ray has won this spat hands down. HD-DVD's contract with some of the their backers is up in May......get ready to see them run to the blu-ray camp.

The war is most definitely not over. What you said might happen in May or it may not.

As I said above it is a €40 billion dollar industry. What do you think would happen if Tosibha gave the remaining studios a slice of the pie? They would pay less royalties or even receive royalties?

In this situation, neither blu ray or HD-DVD would win, we would see dual format players. They are out already. Albeit a bit expensive currently, but who do you know that has a player that isn't a games console? We are still very much in the early adoption phase of these discs. All the remaining studios have to do is hold out and this will definitely happen.

If this did happen, HD-DVD would in fact win in the long run. Due to the manufacturing process, blu ray is very very unlikely going to be cheaper to manufacture than HD-DVD. To even save 1c on a disc studios would save a fortune printing up hundreds of thousands of Batman Begins 4 etc....

So we most definately don't know what will happen, we just need to wait and see. I hope HD-DVD prevails. The lack of region coding and finished spec is great.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Slightly ot but has anyone had any issues with HD-DVDs? I only really bought the add on for the 5 free dvds and the couple of HD-DVD exclusives. I got the matrix trilogy with it and I have to say,it's fairly appaling. The first day I didnt have it hooked up to my amp so assumed the crappy sound was a tv issoe (although the tv sound is very good on everythng else,including 360 games) but even when the sound is run through my amp its terrible. Sounds really tinny and doesnt match up 100%

I'm assuming the add on is just a poor quality HD-DVD player. Anyone else been less than impressed?

The sound issue isnt the amp either because both games and movies on my PS3 , games on my 360 & Wii and through my dvd players are all great.

Should be the same. You should not notice any difference.

Have you set your xbox to 1080P/1080i/720P depending on what your tv supports? Are you connecting via VGA/HDMI/Component? Each of these will be different. It should look great. Mine does :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Have you set your xbox to 1080P/1080i/720P depending on what your tv supports? Are you connecting via VGA/HDMI/Component? Each of these will be different. It should look great. Mine does :-)

Hes talking about the sound not the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah it set up for 1090i through hdmi. It's not that it looks bad, but doesnt look any better than the dvd. The sound however, is appalling. It's hooked up through optical.

I really believe its the format of the consumer.

Not so:Blu Ray outsells HD DVD 85:15

A week after the Warner Brothers announcement? It's not surprising.

Can I remind you though that Walmart which helped to sell 100,000 stand alone players in one day is not included in the Nielson numbers. You can bet that the people who bought their players in Walmart are more likely to buy their HD-DVD's in Walmart too. Walmart by the way is by far the largest seller of dvd's in the states, something like 40%.

I'm not saying that blu-ray didn't outsell HD-DVD last week, but look at the number for an indication of sales.

I do believe that it is the format of the consumer, the lack of region coding, more features, completed specification, managed copy, cheaper players and they are cheaper to produce. The reason for the discrepancy in sales is the PS3 simple as that.

At the moment I agree that blu-ray is looking like the victor, but its not written in stone and there is still definitely a chance for HD-DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I do believe that it is the format of the consumer

I think this may ultimately prove to be a negative for HD-DVD. HD-DVD's consumer friendliness is what prompted fox to go Blu and I'd imagine it played a part in the other studios. They like being able to shape their markets with release dates and high DRM. Price is unimportant at the moment because High Def is only entering the mainstream at the moment (in the US-it isn't really in the public consiousness here much at all) and by the time there were enough people chomping at the bit to go HD player prices would have dropped significantly for both formats.

At the end of the day the studios will decide which format stands and which falls. So the important thing is which format is the format of the studios, and for DRM, region-coding etc. it looks like it could be blu-ray. Otherwise I believe HD-DVD would have to make many concessions to the studios, which may leave it's lower price point (which won't be important for long) but may mean the end of it's region free status.

Can I remind you though that Walmart which helped to sell 100,000 stand alone players in one day is not included in the Nielson numbers. You can bet that the people who bought their players in Walmart are more likely to buy their HD-DVD's in Walmart too. Walmart by the way is by far the largest seller of dvd's in the states, something like 40%.

QUOTE]

Why won't Toshiba give up!
    Walmart to support blu ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

He meant consumer friendly, ie no region lock and exta features. I laugh at my friends who pay E30 for a BluRay in HMV while HD-DVDs are $15 on amazon. Yes Blu-Ray has won, but I dont think it will overtake DVD before downloads take off. That just my $0.02 as someone who owns a PS3 and HD-DVD

Edit: That PSU website is one the most biased Ive seen. It gives the PS3 US 2007 sales but leaves out the 360 figure which is almost twice it! I wouldnt trust that site for any figures

eoin2nc wrote: »

Edit: That PSU website is one the most biased Ive seen. It gives the PS3 US 2007 sales but leaves out the 360 figure which is almost twice it! I wouldnt trust that site for any figures

Well seeing as it's a playstation website what do you expect? But did uou click on the link to their source for those figures? It looks pro hd dvd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭hurleyd

Stekelly wrote: »

Picture quality wise I've found the HDDVD addon very good on Transformers and Batman Begins. I do have a PS3 and Blu-ray as well and there's not that much difference picture quality wise but I would give the nod slightly to PS3 over 360 and the addon - standalone HDDVD player is the same quality as PS3 I've found.

Sound wise - have you installed the latest HDDVD update for the 360. Without the update the Xbox is always in 'Night Mode' sound wise for HDDVDs which makes the sound kind of crap. The update makes it an option. Also you can use DTS after the update too. Hook your 360 upto xbox live when you start watching a film to get the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

At Last !!

Mine arrived today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

hurleyd wrote: »
    Picture quality wise I've found the HDDVD addon very good on Transformers and Batman Begins. I do have a PS3 and Blu-ray as well and there's not that much difference picture quality wise but I would give the nod slightly to PS3 over 360 and the addon - standalone HDDVD player is the same quality as PS3 I've found.

Sound wise - have you installed the latest HDDVD update for the 360. Without the update the Xbox is always in 'Night Mode' sound wise for HDDVDs which makes the sound kind of crap. The update makes it an option. Also you can use DTS after the update too. Hook your 360 upto xbox live when you start watching a film to get the update.

Also, it at least used to be the case that there was a seperate menu for sound on the HD-DVD player that had to be changed to DST/DD etc as it did not get set to this automatically.
    Google it and I'm sure you'll find plenty of guides on how to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

For the next 18 hours you could get this for €150 (+ €12.50 delivery):
    toshiba01Large.jpg
    "Toshiba HD-EP10 High Definition DVD player + 4 HD movies"

High Definition is hot! DVD films in DVD quality allow you, of course, to watch movies with a fine attention to detail, but High Definition DVD quality is even better! And this Toshiba HD-EP 10 High Definition DVD player supports HD DVD quality that gives you the most enjoyable and best possible images. It also supports the finest Surround Sound formats like Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS, DTS-HD and Linear PCM. To demonstrate just how effective this player is, the package includes the films 300, Blood Diamond, WTC and Dream Girls in HD quality. With an HDMI out, a composite S-video and component video out, a digital optical out and two analogue outputs the player can be connected to the newest generation of televisions and sound systems. And the ethernet port that connects you to the internet opens up endless options as well! The ultra slim and sleek design that Toshiba is known for, will enhance your living room decor. Do you want to get the most out of your favourite movies and your HD television? Allow yourself to be blown away by this Toshiba HD-EP High Definition DVD player!

# Brand: Toshiba
    # Type: HD-EP10
    # DVD Video and HD DVD Video
    # 1080p and 1080i Video output
    # Compatible with audio CD / CD-DA / CD-R / CD-RW / DVD-R (video) / DVD ROM / DVD-RW (video) / DVD Video / HD DVD
    # Sound: Dolby Digital Compatible / Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby True HD / DTS Compatible / DTS-HD (core) / NICAM Stereo (VHS)
    # Interactive HD DVD capabilities
    # Connections: Analogue 2 channel audio / Optical audio / Component video output / Ethernet (10/100BASE) / S-video / HDMI output / USB: 2
    # Dimensions (B x H x D): 430 x 65.5 x 345 mm
    # Weight: 4.1 kilo
    # Including 4 HD movies: 300 / Blood Diamond / WTC / Dream Girls

Price: € 149,95

[Link]

Worth it imho, especially considering that if (when ;)) your 360 red rings, you won't be without a HD-DVD player for a month too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sent mine around new years. Still no discs, not even an email. Getting a bit worried now. :(

How long does it take after getting the email to recive the disks? Only have one HD DVD,transformers which is amazing in HD btw, so really looking forward to getting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

aye, sent mine in a few weeks back and have had no response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I sent mine off at the end of November, didn't recieve an email until about 2 weeks ago and the discs arrived last week

I wouldn't worry too much, just be a bit patient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get anything HD-DVD, I'm a 360 fanboy myself so i wanted HD-DVD to win so i could buy the add on, but it has lost the format war entirely, its the betamax of this generation as of now

robby^5 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get anything HD-DVD, I'm a 360 fanboy myself so i wanted HD-DVD to win so i could buy the add on, but it has lost the format war entirely, its the betamax of this generation as of now

Well there free so why wouldnt i be in a rush to get them? HD DVD still has a decent selection of movies and most are now $15 on amazon,about E10, so Im happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I don't have my DVD's either and I sent them off just in the new year. I'm going to resend all my details, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.game.co.uk/News/?lid=8663&ad=08_02_2008

This is the last hurray for hd-dvd IMO.People still wont buy, though, if they feel its a sinking ship

• Advertisement

Got my disks today, just over a month after I sent off the form. Its always nice to get something free :D

Advertisement