Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Colour of Magic Movie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I picture Rincewind as tall, skinny and gangly, and somewhere in his mid 30s in the colour of magic. I can't really see David Jason as being the right body shape or age for Rincewind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm...

I'll be looking forward to this, but I do think that David Jason isn't right for the role. I found him quite terrible as Albert in The Hogfather. I've always had David Thewlis in mind as Rincewind myself.

Still, I enjoyed The Hogfather, so this should be good. Nice to see Lee back as death as well, and Jeremy Irons, oh my! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

The thing that's p-ing me off is that being on Virgin Media in the UK means I won't even get to see this until it's repeated on one of the Sky movie channels.
    With 'Hogfather' they did it that same week, but I don't see 'Colour of Magic' listed at all this time round. :(

I won't mention the 'T' word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I'm really looking forward to seeing this, even if I always imagined Rincewind to be more like Rodders than Del Boy.

And [kittex] according to the ad, it's on Sky One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Am not sure if I am looking forward to it or not. As well as that, I would have preferred somebody else as twoflower, like Mr Miyagi or somesuch, that is always how I imagined him anyway. And I have always thought of rincewind as a tall gangly useless fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

deman wrote: »

And [kittex] according to the ad, it's on Sky One.

Yes, it is... but as I said, Virgin Media customer are not allowed subscribe to/access Sky One. So, as with 'Hogfather' I was hoping for a repeat on the SKY movie channels, as we can access those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

very disappointing

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Wasn't very funny, and the guy playing twoflower wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.

Better in my view than the Hogfather, but nowhere near the same pace and wit of the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was it just me, or did that all feel very "flat"? No pacing in the plot or the direction, no sense of comedic timing, no nothing. It all felt forced and stagey without any kind of zip or charm. Worst of all, I didn't actually laugh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Death was great, couple of funny moments. They need to stop putting EVERYTHING from the books in, I think it messes the pace. I did LOL a couple of times though and I didnt for Hogfather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

John cleese, I reckon John Cleese as Rincewind would have made the part. Enjoyed the book, am feeling a little low anyway after the footy results and was hoping that this would lift it a bit. It didn't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I take it no one is holding much hope for the light fantastic tomorrow, so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I thought it was very good, its not a book and cant be a book so expecting it to be is silly.

Was shocked that Rincewind was actually ok, think maybe the near deaths scenes worked well.

Read the books during the week and happy enough with the tv show, would have been better to watch without the ads and all in one go. Think the breaks were put in badly.

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's not on the internets yet....
    bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

deman wrote: »
    I always saw Cohen as being old and fragile but still with a bit of buzz left in him. Maybe David Kelly might be too old for it....:D

ch_034DavidKelly.jpg

I always thought David Kelly would make a good Lu-Tze, then again i think the publics general agreement on the fact that Pat Motrita as the Lu-Tze man.. but being dead would make him a better candidate for Redge Shoe

SDooM wrote: »
    Death was great, couple of funny moments. They need to stop putting EVERYTHING from the books in, I think it messes the pace. I did LOL a couple of times though and I didnt for Hogfather.

i thought the book quote wasn't in the colour of magic, it was in the fifth elephant, when Vimes was trying to escape the werewolves, death was having a near vimes experience..
    his quote from it was.. Dont worry about me, i've got a book, and in like five lines later, i already know that the butler did it..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zageroth wrote: »
    i thought the book quote wasn't in the colour of magic, it was in the fifth elephant, when Vimes was trying to escape the werewolves, death was having a near vimes experience..
    his quote from it was.. Dont worry about me, i've got a book, and in like five lines later, i already know that the butler did it..

I think it was in Thud, when he falls down into Koom Valley.

Re: The light fantastic, I think it was a bit too childish in the way it was filmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Fail book to tv adaptation is fail.

I think it was in Thud, when he falls down into Koom Valley.

Re: The light fantastic, I think it was a bit too childish in the way it was filmed.

very good point, I listen to them, i have around 23 Pratchett Books on AUdio CD so i listen and read them... or its not that hard ro find out when it was..
    it was in Thud! my bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Utter failure.

Apart from Tim Curry and James Cosmo, and a few of the smaller roles from Jeremy Irons and Christopher Lee, it was just awful in every way. The humour felt extremely forced, and it was played overly silly. I'd agree with the sentiments that it was childish.

I would really hope that Sky doesn't make any more of these...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Only watched the first half but...I liked it better then hogfather

but its still not very good.

Bad things:

-Rincewind is f*cking awful. I wouldnt put the blame at david jason, its more the script and directions inability to understand a character who made running away an art form.
    -The Humour is very flat, alot of scenes should have had knife put to them because the humour is overweight, it needs to be snappier in its delivery. Not to mention the deliver for it is mostly wrong, its too pantomine
    -The editing and the directing is pretty dreadful, again things drag on, and the scenes feel very cluttered visually.

The Good
    -The Music for the most part has been vastly improved over Hogfather, which had the music being very grand and dramatic which actually drove me up the wall. This time around alot of the music is more fitting to the comedy nature of the books. Though its not perfect, its an improvement.
    -The wizards and Ankh Morpock are done very well. Esp Unseen University etc, the wizards subplot (mostly from the light fantastic anyway) worked very well in comparison to the other plots.
    -Jeremy Irons made a fantastic Patricion, and I hope if there is a Gaurds Gaurds adaptation coming up that they will get him to return.

I am surprised that it was the colour of magic that was adapted (speaking of which the deliver of that line was dreadful), Light Fantastic makes sense, but I actually thought they'd cut most of The colour of Magic's plotline because of all the discworld books its the one that didnt feel like a whole plot, it was more of a series of smaller adventures rather then one big one. It wasnt until The Light Fantastic retconned alot of Rincewinds past that the story tied back in.

It really showed in this adaptation that the weakness of The Colour of Magic was that it wasnt one big adventure. Alot of the Light Fantastic had to be brought in to string a constant plot, and the small adventures that made up the original book were so badly manhandled (specifically the dragons story) and narratively rushed that they were pretty forgetable.

I'll give light fantastic a go. But really how can something that looks so right end up playing out so bloody badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

I was very disappointed with the adaptation. Maybe its been a long time since I read the books, but were they really that slow and unfunny?? I was impressed by the scale of some of the effects, while others were very shoddy indeed!

Christopher Lee as Death was excellent and he stole every scene he was in. I wished he could he have been in more of it :p I really really liked how his land and house were realized. Unlike most, I thought David Jason was pretty good as Rincewind. Jeremy Irons should have been perfect as the Patrician, but what the hell was up with that funny little speech impediment he had going?? Surely that isn't something inherent in the books, is it? He made me think of Elmer Fudd and as a result I couldn't take him at all seriously. The LAST thing he was, was imposing :(

The whole thing was a bore and a chore to get through. Sky One, you can stop making these now, please. I'm surprised that they got Pratchetts blessing in the first place :confused:

Advertisement