Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "discrepancy" form.

Options
  • 01-09-2007 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hi, could anyone here tell me about this form?
    I am confused, do I only use this form for errors in adding up marks?
    I found a very clear error in one of the questions in my maths paper, which would have bumped my grade up if the marks were given.
    The examiner mistook 1 for a 7 which instantly lost me 6 marks, thus losing out on a higher grade by 1%.

I would prefer not to have the paper remarked even though there are some more errors, I just want this pointed out and hopefully receive an upgrade.
    Would the situation above be suitable for this form or should I appeal?
    Any serious response appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

To be honest i wouldn't think so, i believe it has a really stupid mistake eg. wrong grade given, omission of some marks by mistake etc. I say you will have to get the whole thing rechecked, anyway you would have to have put the form in with the booklet, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Pretty much the only thing that can be fixed outside the appeal process is if the grade you got doesn't correspond to the mark on the script, or there's a clear and unambiguouas mis-tot of the marks on the grid. The script does NOT go to an examiner or subject expert under this fast-track process.

Let's put it this way: if someone has to look at anything other than the cover of your script to investigate and fix the problem, then you need to do a proper appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

^Thanks D. Coughlan and MathsManiac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

That's sound advice. This is such a useful forum when it comes to the Leaving Cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I presumed whoever was rechecking the exam got the discrepancy form and would acknowledge the student's concerns.

I don't think it's seperate to the appeals process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

^^ ye, i thought it was there for pointing out something you're concerned about to the appeal examiner, as well as a mistake in totting up marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Some of the replies above are mixing up two different things here, because the form supplied (Form AP1) can be used for two different purposes, as explained on the back of the form. When it used for "Use 1", which is "Seeking rectification outside of the appeals process", it is essentially serving as a covering note to an administrative person telling them what the anomaly is.

If it is being used for the second purpose, it serves as an observation report which is forwarded to the appeal examiner. In any case, if you appeal, the appeal examiner will re-examine every aspect of the script from scratch , so you don't need to fill the form in. However, lots of people want to point out particular perceived discrepancies, so they use it.

Further info on "Seeking rectification outside of the appeals process" is on the last page of the document linked below, which you should have got a copy of anyway.

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/lc_results_appeal_process_2007.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

However surely and examiner must be expected to add properly?

I would appeal my Biology paper but i am on the borderline of my course and don't want the smallest chance i might be brought down a grade.

If the examiner had of added my marks for 2 parts of question 15 i would not have had to worry for the last 7 days whether i got my course, my holiday would not have been partially ruined.

It is a disgrace but unfortunately in my case unless i can write it in a form like this it will not be rectified.

What is even more concerning is the exact same thing happened in my geography paper but would not have changed my grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Weather, if you go down a grade, they can't take the course off you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

^Not that I disbelieve you, but where did you get this snippet from?:D
    What if it is say...a matriculation requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

carlowboy wrote:
    Weather, if you go down a grade, they can't take the course off you...

Are you sure? is this written anywhere.

If it were the case i would get Biology and Geography rechecked!

thanks

Advertisement