Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the pay parking is in, but is the new carpark open?

• 01-09-2007 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

I see the spas sneaked in the pay parking meters over the Summer, the students union are useless bastards. Is the new 150 space carpark built, i didnt have time to look for it down by the carrols building.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

damn forgot to check to see if it was built myself! if i had money to put on it i'd say no! I had completely forgot about the pay parking myself over the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Splat75

The new carpark beside Carrolls is open and it's got 300 spaces. Pay parking will come into effect from 1st October, cost 2 Euro per day or 8 Euro per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Splat75 wrote:
    The new carpark beside Carrolls is open and it's got 300 spaces. Pay parking will come into effect from 1st October, cost 2 Euro per day or 8 Euro per week

Oh, well thats good news, i didnt know they were built/open. Are they free spaces? You only have to pay for the spaces up near the college i think, thats what they were saying would happen last year anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

As I mentioned before, were we not told we could get a semester pass for about 40 quid? This is going to work out at €120 a semester if they take that away. I could have swore it was one of the things the SU said

Matt

Im not sure about the semester ticket, i remember the student union talking a lot of waffle. I definitely remember the price breakdown of hr/day/wk and the prices and they seem to have stuck to those prices as thats whats on the meters. I cant say for sure if the semester thing was just an idea/proposal of if they officially said they`d bring it in.

Either way, i wont be paying any of it, ill be parking outside my mates gaff in Rockfield as i did all last year or else ill go earlier and get a free spot if the free spots actually exist.

• Advertisement

no i never heard of the semester pass at all, a weekly one is the longest i ever heard mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by splat75: The new carpark beside Carrolls is open and it's got 300 spaces

No, thats the 150 space one. The 300 spaces one has yet to be built.

Them 150spaces are going to remain free yeah? I thought the whole carrols parking spaces would be free and it was just a matter of having to go early to get a spot, what a joke, you have to go early and still end up paying now.

The entire system is flawed; and the students were conned.

Last semester, when we first got the email, a group of us went to the Union and asked them what they were going to do about it. We were basically pushed off - they finally did something 2 months later after contracts had been signed. Pure genius.

Other colleges in Ireland run a "permit" system, where students have a right to 1 permit if they drive, so they can park for free. Permit is free too, unless you lose it. Anyone else, is therefore deemed as 'not meant to be there' and has to use the Pay and Display system -- otherwise they are clamped.

Why couldn't we have done this? It has been made clear that the aim has ultimately been to get revenue, not to solve the parking issues (ie: people using the Matthews to Dublin). The entire thing is flawed; I think it is just beyond belief that they spent time and money to implement a greatly flawed and unideal solution.

Matt

MDTyKe wrote:
    The entire system is flawed; and the students were conned.

Last semester, when we first got the email, a group of us went to the Union and asked them what they were going to do about it. We were basically pushed off - they finally did something 2 months later after contracts had been signed. Pure genius.

Other colleges in Ireland run a "permit" system, where students have a right to 1 permit if they drive, so they can park for free. Permit is free too, unless you lose it. Anyone else, is therefore deemed as 'not meant to be there' and has to use the Pay and Display system -- otherwise they are clamped.

Why couldn't we have done this? It has been made clear that the aim has ultimately been to get revenue, not to solve the parking issues (ie: people using the Matthews to Dublin). The entire thing is flawed; I think it is just beyond belief that they spent time and money to implement a greatly flawed and unideal solution.

Matt

Well, it is up to the Students Union to put forward the issues effecting the students. There is a new SU President this year who seems to have inherited a great big pile of doggy-doo!!

• Advertisement

haven't heard or seen much of the new president, anyone know what he's like? i heard not to expect much

I think his name is Liam, don't know much else

All them student unions are a waste of time, bunch of useless dopes on year outs, and instead of going to Australia for a year or something they decide to bum around doing absolutely nothing. I hope to god none of my E800 capitation fee is going towards the student union cause they are useless and I dont want their crappy services/txts.

How much money are they wasting by sending me 50 stupid texts telling me about Silence and cheap drink. They done absolutely nothing worthwhile about stopping the whole pay parking, organising protests months after documents have been signed doesnt count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

clampers were out in force today.. seen about 4 cars clamped this morning at around 11am :rolleyes:

the staff car park was full of cars parked on a bend/straight, not one clamped..

smemon wrote:
    clampers were out in force today.. seen about 4 cars clamped this morning at around 11am :rolleyes:

the staff car park was full of cars parked on a bend/straight, not one clamped..

staff car parks aren't affected by clamping, that was agreed right at the start and was why the staff wouldnt help with student protests last year because they were already sorted

They aren't? Doesn't make any sense.

If the issue *is* a health and safety issue, then that defies the point. The staff car park is still (meant to be) managed by NCP - though excempt from pay and display. They surely can't be except from unsafe/unsatisfactory car parking?

Matt

Advertisement