Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist question

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Stevc, I'm not sure if the law compells cyclists to be in the left lane at all times but in general, three conditions will cause it to happen.

The first is that most cycle lanes continue to about 1m before a junction. Since, as you said yourself, they have continuous white lines, the cyclist is compelled to stay in the left lane until the last minute. In some cases you'll see a cycle lane continuing from the right-turning lane and going straight through the junction. This clearly means that the council intended cyclists to be in the right-turning lane.

The second is that some cycle lanes which are located on the footpath only have down ramps about 1m before a junction. This means that when a cyclist rejoins the general flow of traffic, they are in the wrong lane.

The last, and most relevant, is that (not sniping at drivers here) it's quite hard and dangerous for a cyclist to change lanes to cycle in the middle lane. Going from a cycle lane to the staight ahead lane involves two lane changes. Moving between lanes in free-flowing traffic is a dangerous manoeuver, cycling in the middle lane when there is a right lane will result in drivers driving too close behind you getting annoyed that you're holding them up and will sometimes try to overtake dangerously.

I don't think this is a bad-driver / bad-cyclist situation (but inevitably more sniping will happen here) but one of bad road design. I'd be interested to see how other cities do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

stevec wrote:
    There is nothing in the ROTR that exempts a cyclist from a mandatory left turn - it states that cyclists MUST follow mandatory signs at junctions. Therefore if the cyclist was in the left turn lane he MUST turn left and, in fact, he broke the law by going straight.

Do markings painted on the road actually count as "mandatory signs" though? I'm not sure if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

As far as I am aware the arrows painted on lanes at a junction or at roundabouts are for guidance and not legally binding as such.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

stevec wrote:
    Ciaran500:
    In the photos that Victor posted, there is a solid white line bordering the cycle lane - according to ROTR page 159 this designates a "mandatory cycle track" and further points out that cyclists MUST use it (I didn't realise this myself) which I would take to mean that it is illegal for cyclists to cycle on the road as opposed to the track..
    http://www.273k.net/cyclegallery/2005-05-29/2005-05-29_140948_0471

In this photo the cyclist is obliged to stay on the left side of a left only lane. The safe position for a cyclist in this situation would be to command the centre of the left only lane, so as to best align with the cycle lane on the far side of the junction, while avoiding straight-on motorists and discouraging left turning motorists from over-taking.

Note that even the car won't use the straight on lane as it is directly in front of the oncoming stopped traffic waiting to turn right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This may sound like nonsense but I don't actually agree with what I'm about to post. Nevertheless it's what the "book" says and therefore apparently what we must adhere to.
    I don't want this to turn into another ROTR Vs Road traffic act discussion - that's been done to death here - so I'm assuming that whats in the ROTR is what we are legally supposed to do.
    In the opening section ROTR says:
    This book uses a how to approach and covers many of the manoeuvres identified as factors in a road crash. It uses three methods to set down clearly and concisely how the law applies to all road users.
    It uses must and must not to draw attention to behaviour the law clearly demands or forbids.
    It uses terms such as should and should not to tell you how best to act in a situation where no legal rule is in place.
    Page 60 says:
    wrote:
    Road Markings
    Road markings are a traffic sign in the form and design of a marking on the surface of the road. They have the same standing as upright signs. Road users must obey these road markings.
    Page 159 says:
    wrote:
    Cycle tracks
    A cycle track or lane is a reserved part of a roadway for bicycles (notmotorcycles) and can be either:
    mandatory, or non-mandatory.

A mandatory cycle track is bordered by a continuous white line on the righthand side. It is only for bicycles and motorised wheelchairs, so no other drivers may use it or park in it.

A non-mandatory cycle track has a broken white line on the right-hand side. The cyclist may leave this type of cycle track if:
    * they have already indicated they want to change direction,
    * a bus is letting passengers on or off at a bus stop located beside the track, or
    * a vehicle is parked in the track while loading or unloading (see Section 10).

Mandatory cycle tracks are reserved 24 hours a day, unless an upright information sign at the start of and/or the side of the track shows another period of time.

A cycle track can also be a reserved part of a footpath or other area off the road.

A cyclist must use a cycle track if it is provided.

If a cycle track is two-way, meaning bicycles travelling in opposite directions at the same time can use it, cyclists should stay as near as possible to the left-hand side of their track.

You must obey cycle track lights.

Back to reality:
    I know that common sense must and does normally does prevail in every situation that arises on the road and I fully agree that 3-year-olds in a creche could likely design better road / cycle path layouts than the ones currently inflicted on us.

Victor, your photo illustrates the sheer madness of the situation - the cars on the right of the cyclist MUST turn left in the left only lane whereas, in the same rule book, the cyclist going straight is not allowed to leave the cycle lane until they get to "no-mans-land" in the middle of the junction where the solid line becomed a broken line.
    (great example BTW)

If this was the same junction layout as the OP situation happened in, the driver should have realised that the cyclist may indeed be going straight ahead and he (driver) was in the wrong.

If the cycle path is removed from the situation, the cyclist should wait on the left of the straight ahead lane or else turn left as the signs dictate.

If you are still following this OP, how about a pic of the junction where this all started - or at least let us know where it was - I'm sure someone here could snag a pic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement