Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard

Options
  • 01-09-2007 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I hope you can help.

I just bought plasterboard that was hopping to put up in the next few days. The problem is i was planning on drilling holes and using screws. I was thinking that i might break the plasterboard and also crack it with this method.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Hi i am a plasterer an alternative method is to buy your self bonding compound (green/white bag). Stick the boards to the wall, use approx 4/5 blobs of compount vertically and about 3/4 horizontally, get yourself a level and a straight edge ( piece of 3x2 will do ) to level the boards onto the wall. How many boards are you using?. Will you be skimming after this or dry lining?. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

a-k-47 wrote:
    Hi i am a plasterer an alternative method is to buy your self bonding compound (green/white bag). Stick the boards to the wall, use approx 4/5 blobs of compount vertically and about 3/4 horizontally, get yourself a level and a straight edge ( piece of 3x2 will do ) to level the boards onto the wall. How many boards are you using?. Will you be skimming after this or dry lining?. Best of luck.

hey,

I only have to 12 x 4 boards that i need to cut and apply in the kitchen. I plan on skimming after so can tile it. I was planning on just screwing it on the wall with no glue or compound. I really dont think its the best idea and what you say makes perfect sense. I presume i can get this compound in woodies or most hardware stores? Do i just apply the compound and push the board to the wall? Will i not need something to keep it in place?
    thks

9x4 boards you mean?. mix it stiff enough for the board to hold onto and stick with about 12 blobs of compound about the size of your hand. You should buy 2 bags of compound so you have enough for the 2 boards which you can buy in any building providers(dont get ordinary bonding (purplebag) do you have a drill to mix it?. dont forget to get some scrim for the joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

as part of a renovation of my house ive had to plasterboard every room. i used a plastic fixing which you drill an 8mm hole trough the plaster board and into the wall. you hammer this fixing which is like an oversized plastic nail into the hole which pulls the board against the wall. if you use just normal plugs and screws the head of the screw will just dissapear into the plasterboard. ive used them in all the rooms and it allows you to fix the plasterboard directly to the wall without the need for battens.they come in 70ml and 110ml sizes, the 110ml is used with insulated boards.
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.proventure.co.uk/Insulation%2520pics/plastinsfix.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.proventure.co.uk/plasticinsulation.htm&h=116&w=340&sz=12&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=mTpmqqSZejMiOM:&tbnh=41&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dinsulation%2Bfixing%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den

as part of a renovation of my house ive had to plasterboard every room. i used a plastic fixing which you drill an 8mm hole trough the plaster board and into the wall. you hammer this fixing which is like an oversized plastic nail into the hole which pulls the board against the wall. if you use just normal plugs and screws the head of the screw will just dissapear into the plasterboard. ive used them in all the rooms and it allows you to fix the plasterboard directly to the wall without the need for battens.they come in 70ml and 110ml sizes, the 110ml is used with insulated boards.
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.proventure.co.uk/Insulation%2520pics/plastinsfix.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.proventure.co.uk/plasticinsulation.htm&h=116&w=340&sz=12&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=mTpmqqSZejMiOM:&tbnh=41&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dinsulation%2Bfixing%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den

Its alot of hassle and a poor finish it can get messy this way, harder to skim afterwards and also hard to keep everything flush. Do whatever you feel you may be able to do.

• Advertisement

Northdub, Did you buy those plastic fixing in hardware store and did you also use the compound? I probably have to much plasterboard for what i need to. I'm basically putting up some after getting a new kitchen fitted and i intend to tile around it so i thought plasterboard/skimming and then to tile it after.

I should be alright with the compound and the plastci screws. I'll try it and see how i get on and if i'll seek a professional ;)

thks for the advice, i wasnt sure i would get any.

you dont need the screws if ur using compound. My advice is to stay with the compound, get level and str8 edge to knock into place. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've seen builders using the plastic method on a house in clontarf.
    It turned out fine.

Would blobbing plasterboard not cause problems with the whole wall being off level ?

EDIT : I forgot to mention builders were using foam backed plaster board on an existing hall stairs landing ,external wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ive used those plastic fixings all over my house because i know its something i can do easilly. i scrimmed all the joints including the areas where the plastic fittings are and none of the plasterers had any difficulty in skimming over them. i would point out that they need to be hammerd just below the surface and no i didnt use any compound. i used insulated plasterboard for exterior walls and normal for interior. i got them in the local hardware in lusk but im sure most hard wares have them. because my interior doors close so near to the walls i couldnt dot and dab cause it would have brought the wall out too far. also if they are to be used drill the hole slightly deeper then the lenght of the plug as when they are hammered in they push some debris forward as they grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are there batons on the wall that you are fixing to or just bricks/blocks?
    Also, dont bother skimming if you are going to tile over it.

I find the plasterboard screws are very quick and easy (if you are putting it up onto batons)
    You can even get an attachment for your electric screwdriver that makes screwing them in fool proof (you cant overtighten and crack the finish)

Do the plastic fittings suffer the same problems as the old nails?
    i.e they work loose and break the skim?

• Advertisement

a-k-47 wrote:
    you dont need the screws if ur using compound. My advice is to stay with the compound, get level and str8 edge to knock into place. good luck

A-K-47,

I bought the compound you recommened. I am planning on starting this week, just a bit worried, I am going to put it straight on to the wall and use some long lats of wood with nails to hold it in place until it sets. I was just wondering if you think this will work or not?

I wasnt going to use nails or plastic nails as mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I am going to put it straight on to the wall and use some long lats of wood with nails to hold it in place until it sets.

You don't need to brace the plasterboard after hanging it. See here for how to dab a wall.

Google is your friend.

Advertisement